The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee
I threw out Matt Williams from one of his kids games... does that count?
Yes. I didn't get to boot either one, but I did a travel game and the opposing managers were Jack McDowell and Kirk McCaskill. It was a hoot. I had been warned about McDowell being an a-hole, but he was well behaved with me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Bill “Spaceman” Lee... he's a piece of work!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
Pat Borders coaches a travel team in my area. I have called a few of his games, if that counts.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:50pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHat Ref
There is a post on the basketball board about famous players that guys have officated for. I wanted to start this post for baseball. Who are some famous players you have umpired. For me I have umpired games for Dave Otto, now a commentator for the Cubs, who by the way was an awsome left handed pitcher who threw in the 90's in high school, Todd Huntley, whose dad always was behind the backstop during his games bothering the umpires, Dan Wilson now a catcher for Seattle, and Josh Paul who was a catcher for the White Sox.
You must obviously live in the Chicago area as Dave Otto was a product of Elk Grove High School. Since you covered Elk Grove, you probably also did games at Forest View where my brother was a pitcher. Otto and he were 1 and 2 in strikeouts in the Mid Suburban League in I believe 1981.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHat Ref
For me I have umpired games for Dave Otto, now a commentator for the Cubs, who by the way was an awsome left handed pitcher who threw in the 90's in high school, Todd Huntley, whose dad always was behind the backstop during his games bothering the umpires, Dan Wilson now a catcher for Seattle, and Josh Paul who was a catcher for the White Sox.
Dan Wilson retired after the 2005 season.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

McCarver, the Gagliano Brothers, Mike Shannon, Marquis Grissom, Richard Lewis (1rst round draft - Atl Braves), Phil Garner, a slew of Milwaukee Brewers spring season, others I can't remember.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
You must obviously live in the Chicago area as Dave Otto was a product of Elk Grove High School. Since you covered Elk Grove, you probably also did games at Forest View where my brother was a pitcher. Otto and he were 1 and 2 in strikeouts in the Mid Suburban League in I believe 1981.
Yes I did do some games at Forest View High School. Also did some games at Arlington H.S. before that closed. I forget who the coach was at Forest View, but I think after the school closed, he went on to coach at Rolling Meadows at the sophomore level.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Colby Rasmus, Rabbit Maranville
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Been doing this just since 2004, so no players that I can think of off hand. Josh Viitters who was just drafted by the Cubs last draft. Did his games in LL and HS.

Have had Matt Williams, Matt Nokes, Chad Krueter, Paul Abbott, Rich Amaral, as coaches.....
Did a Golden Baseball League scimmage last summer...Garry Templeton and Darrel Evans were the coaches.
Charles White is a member of our HS assoc..and our local youth assoc....he goes out and does games.

Krueters wife was a piece of work....chased a couple guys into the parking lot one time when her hubby was coaching...

Last summer in a Connie Mack semi at UC Irvine....a player threw his glove at a batter ball. Didnt make contact....so, nothing. After the game walking to our car, some fans behine were leaving and one guy said..."hey on that guy who threw the glove, why was there no penalty. I thought that was a rule.." We told him the glove had to hit the ball... that guy was Bobby Grich.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1
Last summer in a Connie Mack semi at UC Irvine....a player threw his glove at a batter ball. Didnt make contact....so, nothing. After the game walking to our car, some fans behine were leaving and one guy said..."hey on that guy who threw the glove, why was there no penalty. I thought that was a rule.." We told him the glove had to hit the ball... that guy was Bobby Grich.

Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Off the top of my head, Mark Teahen.

Had some former players as coaches, including Mike Macfarlane, Kevin Seitzer, Jeff Montgomery, and the late Daryl Porter.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 02:28pm
Administrator

Warren Cromartie

I know that this thread is ancient history, but...

Way back in the mid-1970's when I was attending the University of Miami (the one in Coral Gables, Florida) and officiating H.S. basketball, I officiated a boys' H.S. jr. varsity game with Warren Cromartie. It was a mid-week game and he was reporting to the Montreal Expos Spring Training Camp that weekend for what would be his rookie season (he was the NL's Rookie of the Year). It turned out to be the last basketball game he ever officiated.

Later in the late 1990's I officiated his son in the Connecticut Starters Boys' Spring Basketball Classic.

Small world.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Most recent and most memorable, Josh Hamilton when he was on the come back before Cinncinnati signed him. He hit a HR straightaway center that day and I was on the dish.

Last edited by DG; Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 09:40pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHat Ref View Post
There is a post on the basketball board about famous players that guys have officated for. I wanted to start this post for baseball. Who are some famous players you have umpired. For me I have umpired games for Dave Otto, now a commentator for the Cubs, who by the way was an awsome left handed pitcher who threw in the 90's in high school, Todd Huntley, whose dad always was behind the backstop during his games bothering the umpires, Dan Wilson now a catcher for Seattle, and Josh Paul who was a catcher for the White Sox.
I know this is old..but Dan Wilson retired a while ago...LOL
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Can't recall any players that would qualify but I did have Tim Baker (Bo'Sox) as a coach. His son Austin (helping coach) was playing at Christian Brothers University at the time and another son Nathan was pitching at Ole Miss. Tim was delightful, never said a word and was always encouraging to the kids. His son actually told me who he was and gave me a short bio. The funny thing is that I had just seen Nate close a game for Ole Miss the Wed night prior to this weekend tournament.