The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Last night Double Header scheduled. Home team has only 9 players to start. They get blown out 2-22 (15 run mercy rule after 3 innings). During the 15 minute change over time, one of their players takes a ball off the noggin and is taken off to the hospital, leaving them with only 8 players for game #2.

FED rules do not allow you to start with only 8. My partner and I inform the coach that we "can not umpire" a game that starts with 8 players per the rules, and declare the game a forfeit. They take it pretty well and line up to shake hands.

My 2 questions are:

1. Can the other team "lend" them a player to get them to 9? Would that still be considered "not enough players", since he would have a different uniform, and be from a different school?

2. What if they carried the injured player (not knocked unconscious) to the field to "start" the game. At what point do you consider him to "have played" and at does this border on making a travesty of the game?
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 08:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
2 questions are:

1. Can the other team "lend" them a player to get them to 9? Would that still be considered "not enough players", since he would have a different uniform, and be from a different school?
No. And if they tried, I would not allow it.

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
2. What if they carried the injured player (not knocked unconscious) to the field to "start" the game. At what point do you consider him to "have played" and at does this border on making a travesty of the game?
Do not open yourself for liability. Do not allow this.

You will be better served if you do not try to find the wierdest situation to figure out.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Officially, you did the right thing.

Unofficially, depending upon the level (FR, JV, VAR), I dont see your first option as being that bad if both coaches agree. I would never, ever never ever let your second option happen. Then your leaving yourself open to a liabilty suit for agreeing to unecessarily move an injured player.Potentially injuring the player worse.

The "travesty" would be , agreeing to your second option.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

my opinion, sorry guys...game over, if you want to borrow players or keep going, fine with me but I am outta here.

If someone gets hurt during a game that should have been forfeited or not played at all, you are opening yourself up. Just get out of there and they can do what they want.