The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's because I don't umpire in the professional system, but I don't see putting MiLB in one's signature as disrespecting umpires who make a living at that level. He just happened to put it in his signature. The umpire's role is to put up with a lot of abuse, so I'm sure most MiLB umpires wouldn't care if someone claimed to be a member of their association.

But Steve, making the claim that you would have made the big leagues had you had the drive to do so is a bit much. We've all got potential in certain domains. You don't get any results unless you use that potential. As an example, I am a gifted saxophone player- I started in grade 7 and it only took a few lessons before my teacher knew I really had something going for me. I had a ton of success over the years (won a Kiwanis scholarship, accepted into grade 10 music course when in grade 9, etc.). But while I had natural abilities going for me, I never had the drive or enjoyment to stick with it. While I could claim that I could be a big name jazz star, doing so would be a huge disservice to the people who dedicate their lives to the profession.

The same goes for umpiring. You may be one hell of an umpire, but unless you have put in years upon years in the professional system, it's not fair to act as if making the big leagues is an easy thing to do.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
The umpire's role is to put up with a lot of abuse,
I've never seen that listed in any of the publications, and I certainly don't teach it.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Cump6 if one subtracks your first paragraph and only reads the 2nd two thats the best post youve ever made.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong

Quote:
The umpire's role is to put up with a lot of abuse,
The sooner you realize that this statement is wrong, the faster you will have better games!

The umpire's role is NOT to put up with a lot of abuse.

The umpire's role is to learn how to prevent abuse, to snuff out abuse if it happens, and how to punish those who abuse us. When you learn those three things you will never "put up with a lot of abuse," again.

We are not whipping boys.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 05:03pm

Quote:
Maybe it's because I don't umpire in the professional system, but I don't see putting MiLB in one's signature as disrespecting umpires who make a living at that level. He just happened to put it in his signature. The umpire's role is to put up with a lot of abuse, so I'm sure most MiLB umpires wouldn't care if someone claimed to be a member of their association.

But Steve, making the claim that you would have made the big leagues had you had the drive to do so is a bit much. We've all got potential in certain domains. You don't get any results unless you use that potential. As an example, I am a gifted saxophone player- I started in grade 7 and it only took a few lessons before my teacher knew I really had something going for me. I had a ton of success over the years (won a Kiwanis scholarship, accepted into grade 10 music course when in grade 9, etc.). But while I had natural abilities going for me, I never had the drive or enjoyment to stick with it. While I could claim that I could be a big name jazz star, doing so would be a huge disservice to the people who dedicate their lives to the profession.

The same goes for umpiring. You may be one hell of an umpire, but unless you have put in years upon years in the professional system, it's not fair to act as if making the big leagues is an easy thing to do.
First, I have not one time acted as if making the big leagues is easy. I realize exactly the hard work it takes. I said that if I had gone to umpire school and gotten a pro job, then I would have eventually made the big leagues. This would have taken a lot of hard work as well as a great deal of breaks along the way, but it could have been done.

Next, I don't know how to put this any more politely, but you don't have a clue as to my umpiring abilities back in the 1980s, so please do not comment on the subject. I have over 3,000 baseball games umpired under my belt. When you come anywhere close to this experience then you can comment. I worked my a$$ off honing my skills in a much more strenuous environment than umpire school, which would have been like Club Med compared to the conditions I put myself through. I worked in excess of 200 games a year in most years, 6 and 7 days a week, including many solo 90' triple-headers on the weekends. And all that time I was receiving instructions from some very knowledgable pro school grads and minor league umpires.

I know that I would have been a success in umpire school, and all that counts is that I know it, not anyone else. Everyone has already taken their potshots at me for revealing my feelings on the subject, but I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to some wet-behind-the-ears kid make remarks too. I have gone through more chest protectors and plate shoes than you have years on this earth.

Now, I didn't bring the subject up, Garth did. I know that I didn't go for it. Duh. That's kind of obvious. Yeah, I could have been an astronaut too if they only lowered the standards for entry in that program. We all "could have been" whatever we wanted under the right circumstances. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Of course, it should go without saying that nobody really knows what would have happened because I did not go. I had the money in to go, but needed the money for something else, so I blew it. Do I have regrets? Of course I do. That's probably why I opened myself up for ridicule to start with. But that was two years ago, and I really had hoped to get far beyond this subject.

Let's just put it this way: I was a far better umpire than several umpires who went to pro school and thought they were great, and who graduated near the top of their classes. Now that's the last I want to say about it or hear about it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
First, I have not one time acted as if making the big leagues is easy. I realize exactly the hard work it takes. I said that if I had gone to umpire school and gotten a pro job, then I would have eventually made the big leagues. This would have taken a lot of hard work as well as a great deal of breaks along the way, but it could have been done.

Next, I don't know how to put this any more politely, but you don't have a clue as to my umpiring abilities back in the 1980s, so please do not comment on the subject. I have over 3,000 baseball games umpired under my belt. When you come anywhere close to this experience then you can comment. I worked my a$$ off honing my skills in a much more strenuous environment than umpire school, which would have been like Club Med compared to the conditions I put myself through. I worked in excess of 200 games a year in most years, 6 and 7 days a week, including many solo 90' triple-headers on the weekends. And all that time I was receiving instructions from some very knowledgable pro school grads and minor league umpires.

I know that I would have been a success in umpire school, and all that counts is that I know it, not anyone else. Everyone has already taken their potshots at me for revealing my feelings on the subject, but I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to some wet-behind-the-ears kid make remarks too. I have gone through more chest protectors and plate shoes than you have years on this earth.

Now, I didn't bring the subject up, Garth did. I know that I didn't go for it. Duh. That's kind of obvious. Yeah, I could have been an astronaut too if they only lowered the standards for entry in that program. We all "could have been" whatever we wanted under the right circumstances. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Of course, it should go without saying that nobody really knows what would have happened because I did not go. I had the money in to go, but needed the money for something else, so I blew it. Do I have regrets? Of course I do. That's probably why I opened myself up for ridicule to start with. But that was two years ago, and I really had hoped to get far beyond this subject.

Let's just put it this way: I was a far better umpire than several umpires who went to pro school and thought they were great, and who graduated near the top of their classes. Now that's the last I want to say about it or hear about it.
haven't you made it abundantly clear that you can do anything you put your mind to? why, then, would they have to lower the standards???
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 05:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
haven't you made it abundantly clear that you can do anything you put your mind to? why, then, would they have to lower the standards???
You have to have 20/20 vision uncorrected, plus answer a few questions that may have disqualified me. Becoming an astronaut is even harder than becoming an umpire.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 05:45pm.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. I said that if I had gone to umpire school and gotten a pro job, then I would have eventually made the big leagues.

2.This would have taken a lot of hard work as well as a great deal of breaks along the way, but it could have been done.
Sentence 2 is closer to reality. But still, coulda, woulda, shoulda...it's all an exercise in nonsense.

[/quote]I worked my a$$ off honing my skills in a much more strenuous environment than umpire school, which would have been like Club Med compared to the conditions I put myself through. I worked in excess of 200 games a year in most years, 6 and 7 days a week, including many solo 90' triple-headers on the weekends. And all that time I was receiving instructions from some very knowledgable pro school grads and minor league umpires. [quote]

You an a hundred other umpires that aren't good enough to get to the majors.

Quote:
I know that I would have been a success in umpire school, and all that counts is that I know it, not anyone else.
When you're in a hole, you a need a ladder, not a shovel.

Quote:
I could have been an astronaut too if they only lowered the standards for entry in that program.
OMG.

Keep digging.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 07:35pm.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Make the comparison!

Quote:

And all that time I was receiving instructions from some very knowledgable pro school grads and minor league umpires.
Minor League Umpires like MichaelVA2000? Or Minor League Umpires like bobbybanaduck? Who would you rather of had instruction from - someone that worked 140 professional games a year for several years, or someone that worked 3rd one night in April? That is the point - they are not the same experience - and trying to pretend that they are is disingenuous.

There is a big difference between working a dozen MiLB games as a fill-in and a season of MiLB games. And if the fill-in hasn't figured that out yet, then I have great sympathy for the rest of his crew.

Walt
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 03:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
When you're in a hole, you a need a ladder, not a shovel.
What The do you mean by that? I'm not digging a damn hole, nor am I in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
OMG. Keep digging.
Did you not understand the astronaut analogy. I was saying what you keep saying, that everybody "coulda" been. You friggin missed the point entirely. I did not think that I needed to endure the kid piling on me as well. Again, I did not bring up the damn subject. I also said it was the last friggin time I wanted to hear any more about it. I want the last damn word on it, not the farkin peanut gallery.

AAUA96, I learned from actual minor league umpires, who were full-time minor league umpires. Our association has had quite a history of both minor and major league umpires among its ranks.

UES, what the f*ck are you talking about, little credibility? I have plenty of credibility here. I have contributed many good posts which have benefited umpires here and on other forums. If you dont' like what I post, then blow it out your a$$, ok punk?? I don't know who you think you are, but you need to shut the f*ck up. Who the f*ck are you?

Now, I don't want to discuss this sh*t any further, as I said.

Thanks for bringing up the subject, Garth. What did you expect me to say about it? That I've changed my mind and I'm just a real weak wanna-be official. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I know what I know, and if you people want to say differently, then fine. None of you know me at all, so you all really need to keep your rude comments to yourselves.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AAUA96, I learned from actual minor league umpires, who were full-time minor league umpires. Our association has had quite a history of both minor and major league umpires among its ranks.
SDS, you made my point. Fill-in's are not "actual minor league umpires" and should not mislead others into thinking that they are.

Quote:
It is only minor league baseball for chrissakes. It is really not that big of a deal.
If you wonder why you draw such contentious disagreement, you only have to look at what you write. Those MiLB umpires that taught you so well, when they gave you an example from their experience, did you tell them "It is only MiLB, it's not that big of a deal?" Did you say "I know you did 500 professional games, but Mike had a fill-in game 4 years ago, and he says the proper mechanic is this, not what you just said. I'll do it his way?"

When it is in your best interest (when it applies to you), you hold MiLB umpires in high esteem. When you want to disagree with Garth, you choose to denigrate their profession and say "it's not that big of a deal" and it's okay to mislead others and pretend to have more qualifications than they really do.

Which is it - do MiLB umpires have your respect - or not?

Walt
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

What would Brian Boitano call?

I don't really know anyone on this board, so I don't know all the back-stories, and I'm on the fence as to whether I want to know or not. So my call would be for a moderator to close the thread, seeing to the train wreck it's become.

Just sayin'.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 03:25pm
Stop staring at me swan.

who cares? you work your games, I'll work my games...it doesn't do anybody on here a bit of good whip out our you know what's and talk about who's is bigger. although I have to say, these threads are rather entertaining. I will also predict lockdown in 3....2....1...

Last edited by johnnyg08; Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 03:27pm.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 04:02pm

UES,

I was never a "small diamond umpire," which proves that you definitely know very little about me. I don't care how young you are, you have a long way to go to be as good an umpire over a long period of time as I was. I am retired now, you didn't just "pass me by like the wind." Such arrogance. Watch out, you might be confused with me with an ego like yours. You're a joke.

You were never taught to respect your elders, I see. I suppose if Doug Harvey came on this board, you would disrespect him as a "has-been" or a "white hair?" He no longer umpires either, I guess you blew by him too, huh? Fat chance. By the way, my hair is still mostly brown.

Here is what I meant by what I pompously stated. Garth has approved this response:

"I was a better than average umpire when I contemplated going to pro-school and I believe I would have had a better than average shot of making it in umpiring."

Now, that is much better, isn't it. I am over-confident by nature, so overstating the facts goes with the territory. Being a legend in my own mind should never be stated on a bulletin board for the public to ridicule.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 04:03pm

"I was a better than average umpire when I contemplated going to pro-school and I believe I would have had a better than average shot of making it in umpiring."
Closed Thread