The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
A year from now let's compare predictions.

Yours: "...Nobody is going to convict Bonds for anything folks, so just get that out of your heads now..."

Mine: Before this is over, Bonds will either accept a plea deal or be convicted of at least one count of the indictment.
Actually, I had just amended my prediction to "no jail time." I predict that any plea deal will result in "no jail time" for Bonds. I really did believe that Bonds was like Teflon and that nothing would stick to him, but now I am not quite as sure. It looked like Bonds was getting a pass. Still, "no jail time" is my prediction, regardless of any conviction. I say he still plays baseball next year too.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:51pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Actually, I had just amended my prediction to "no jail time." I predict that any plea deal will result in "no jail time" for Bonds. I really did believe that Bonds was like Teflon and that nothing would stick to him, but now I am not quite as sure. It looked like Bonds was getting a pass. Still, "no jail time" is my prediction, regardless of any conviction. I say he still plays baseball next year too.
You are so Evian...........

I'd be surprised if he is a first ballot HOF in five years.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I say he still plays baseball next year too.
I'll take tha bet...let's make it friendly....say $20?

But let's clarify....I say he will not be playing baseball in the Major Leagues in the U.S.

He will still be going through this next summer. I don't believe there is a team around that wants that kind of distraction.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

"no jail time" is my prediction

Mine, too. The lawyers and activists will soon transform this legal case into a political case. Bonds would lose the legal case; he won't lose the political one.

Two other points:

1. There may be more people in the United States today than 50 years ago, but the pool of ballplayers is smaller—even including the Dominican Republic and Japan—to fill many more teams. In 1957 a typical high school would see at least 100 boys go out for baseball, and the coach would have to cut some good players. Today high school coaches cut no good players.

2. It may be conventional media "wisdom" that Babe Ruth was a beer-drinking fat guy, but he was actually the best pitcher in baseball for 7 years, and then proceeded to hit, routinely, more homers per season than any other entire team. He was also a good baserunner and a very fine outfielder. Yes, he was overweight at the end of his career, but look at pictures of him 15 years into his career and tell me you see a fat guy.

I'll qualify my prediction. If they find out that Bonds didn't declare a bunch of income, then he will do some time.

Last edited by greymule; Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 04:08pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I had just amended my prediction to "no jail time." ....
Hmmm... OK, but revising a prediction based on current events is not a prediction. It is merely reporting. There are few new facts in the indictment other than the indictment itself. It does, however, forever put to rest the claim by some Bonds apologists that he has never tested positive for steroids. Test reports are part of the government case against him for perjury (according to news reports).
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I had just amended my prediction
What, now you're a weatherman? If you're going to change your prediction everytime something comes out that many of us have been saying all a long, you're really not predicting.

"Nail that plate down, ump."
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

Let's take a look back at the last of the "rich & famous" to lie to the Gov't.......

Let me re-introduce you to Martha Stewart. She didn't do hard time, but as someone who works for the Gov't, I can tell you that the Gov't does not like being lied to, especially under oath!

See also, Clinton, William Jefferson, Lying to Grand Jury about sex with an intern. Remember his impeachment?!?!?

Michael Vick, AKA by my son and some of his friends as "Dog Killer". "It's not my house." "Well, it is my house, but I did not do anything there." Etc, etc.... He started serving his sentence today.

LomUmp
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Hmmm... OK, but revising a prediction based on current events is not a prediction. It is merely reporting. There are few new facts in the indictment other than the indictment itself. It does, however, forever put to rest the claim by some Bonds apologists that he has never tested positive for steroids. Test reports are part of the government case against him for perjury (according to news reports).
You and Garth just don't get it I guess. Now that there is an actual case against Bonds brought forward (there was not one at the time of my original statement that Bonds was untouchable), I have the right to change my prediction. My last prediction was wrong. I was freely admitting that I may have spoken a bit too soon as to any conviction.

Dakota, I am not reporting anything. I say he will get "no jail time." That is a real prediction. It is not "merely reporting," as you call it. That makes me friggin Nostradamus here.

Garth, If I had a spare $20 I would find a better use for it than making bets with you. I don't know the case well enough to put money on its outcome to begin with. I am just cynical enough to think that Bonds will buy his way out of trouble and come out smelling like a rose. This is just my opinion, not an exacta at Santa Anita.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is just my opinion, not an exacta at Santa Anita.
Right: if it were an exacta, you'd also wager on Anderson.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
Hey all,

Let's take a look back at the last of the "rich & famous" to lie to the Gov't.......

Let me re-introduce you to Martha Stewart. She didn't do hard time,
Five months in a federal prison camp is not getting off free.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Maybe a more harsh punishment should be another season with the Giants?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Five months in a federal prison camp is not getting off free.
Hey all,

It's about as close as it gets, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
How about making him play for the Marlins, after they get rid of Cabrera and D-Train!! Or maybe even the Rays in Tampa Bay!!

LomUmp
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Why punish the Giants?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Dakota, I am not reporting anything. I say he will get "no jail time." That is a real prediction. It is not "merely reporting," as you call it. That makes me friggin Nostradamus here....
I was just expecting past "revisions" to continue... and, I was just jerking your chain, nothing serious.