The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Such Arrogance Barry

It's reported that Barry Bonds will boycott the Hall Of Fame if his HR record has an asterisk. Someone tell him he first has to be elected.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
It's reported that Barry Bonds will boycott the Hall Of Fame if his HR record has an asterisk. Someone tell him he first has to be elected.
I saw that as well and I won't lose any sleep if he's not in there. He still has 2 months to find out if he's elected to the state penn.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Reminds me of Huckleberry Finn's father: "I'da voted myself if I warn't too drunk to get there!"
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares? This is years away and he has a right to feel that way.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Who cares? This is years away and he has a right to feel that way.

Peace
I agree 100%. I would be pissed if they put a friggin asterisk on my HR record that I spent years breaking. Nobody is going to convict Bonds for anything folks, so just get that out of your heads now. Hundreds of MLB players use steroids, including many pitchers who Barry Bonds hit home runs off. Are we going to see asterisks on every one of those? I think not, so get over the fact that Barry clobbered more home runs than Aaron and everyone's golden boy Ruth.

Steroids or not, it takes a whole lot of talent to even hit a baseball, much less hit it out of stadiums against major league pitching. Steroids don't make that much difference when it comes to the hand/eye coordination and other batting skills.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Ahem,

Gentlmen:

Please re-read the press release.

You have "jumped the shark" here:

The issue that Bonds is speaking to is the BASEBALL that he hit for #756.

As you all remember the guy that bought the ball allowed the public to vote on what would eventually happen to the ball. As I remember there were choices such as: "Shoot it on a rocket into outer space" or "blow it up" (nee: the "Bartman Ball").

The overwhelming choice was to place an asterisk ON the ball and give it to the HOF.

What Bonds is saying is: "if the HOF displays the ball with the * on it he then would select to "boycott" his possible induction ceremony.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 07:32am.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:46am

Then in the words of Emily Litella....never mind!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I agree 100%. I would be pissed if they put a friggin asterisk on my HR record that I spent years breaking. Nobody is going to convict Bonds for anything folks, so just get that out of your heads now. Hundreds of MLB players use steroids, including many pitchers who Barry Bonds hit home runs off. Are we going to see asterisks on every one of those? I think not, so get over the fact that Barry clobbered more home runs than Aaron and everyone's golden boy Ruth.

Steroids or not, it takes a whole lot of talent to even hit a baseball, much less hit it out of stadiums against major league pitching. Steroids don't make that much difference when it comes to the hand/eye coordination and other batting skills.
Hand eye coordination you either have it or you don't I agree. However, generally speaking, your stats don't improve as you age nor does your reaction time. I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that steroids improve your vision. Barry was a Hall of Famer before he started cheating.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Then in the words of Emily Litella....never mind!
I still say who cares? And stuff like this is the reason baseball is struggling in many places. Instead of worrying about the skill of the players or the game, you have guys that are so worried what record someone had 80 years ago when the game was not even played the same. Good Lord records are made to be broken. Steroids or no steroids players are better, faster, stronger, have more training and we have people that cannot believe that someone can pass a record of a player that did not take care of himself at all.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:15am

Again you have quoted me and then said "you guys" as if you are including me in with the others, when I was agreeing with you to begin with.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:21am

Quote:
I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that steroids improve your vision.
But they shrink your balls, so I guess the trade-off is worth it to some people.

Quote:
Barry was a Hall of Famer before he started cheating.
Despite the build-up of circumstantial evidence to support this claim, he has not been convicted, nor has he ever tested positive for steroids, so it is still unproven that he cheated.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
nor has he ever tested positive for steroids,
That may or may not be true.

What is true is that he has never tested positive for steriods as far as the public knows.

Results of steriord tests in the past were not always made public as they have been recently.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But they shrink your balls, so I guess the trade-off is worth it to some people.

Despite the build-up of circumstantial evidence to support this claim, he has not been convicted, nor has he ever tested positive for steroids, so it is still unproven that he cheated.
We know he took steroids (he says he took it unknowingly) the clear. He claims he was told it was flax seed oil. What could a drop of flax seed oil under the tongue do for you! You're naive if you beleive he never knowingly took steroids human growth or whatever. The preponderance of evidence suggests he cheated.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Agree that it aint easy to hit a baseball.

What's even harder is to keep hitting a baseball for distance after an age where that ability is *normally* reduced.

Besides increased strength (hitting the ball over the wall instead of to the warning track) I understand that some steroids actually improve vision in some cases, or at least reduce vision loss due to aging. There's your hand/eye connection.

Is this true in Bonds' case? Who knows...but his record does show an increase in HR output at a point where most players start to seriously consider retirement.

edit oops, repeating Gordon. That's 2 votes at least
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you really think most people who are in the "asterix bucket" are there because they don't want Barry to break a record set by Aaron or Ruth? Or do you think they are there becasue they are anti-cheaters? I know he has not been proven guilty of knowingly cheating and to that I call BS.