The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that Barry said he would boycott the Hall if the ball is displayed with an asterisk as all the more reason to brand it on all sides with asterisks. Keep him out of a place that he doesn't deserve to be in since he cheated.

As long as Pete Rose is banned, they should never induct another player!!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I wonder if everyone will say the same thing about Clemens and others when it's their turn to go into The Hall. It was an entire era of steroid use. The truth is we still have no idea about how widespread of a problem it was. I don't buy for a second that MLB itself wasn't aware of the problem as they tried to put the fans back in the stands, post strike of 1994. They wanted to see the ball flying out of the parks, and turned a blind eye to steroid usage. The pitchers were juicing, the hitters were juicing. Hell, I think even the bat boys were on the stuff..........

Tim.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 05:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
The fact that Barry said he would boycott the Hall if the ball is displayed with an asterisk as all the more reason to brand it on all sides with asterisks. Keep him out of a place that he doesn't deserve to be in since he cheated.

As long as you brought it up. Pete Rose is another case of such arrogance.

Pete Rose brought his banishment upon himself. Why rewrite the rules for Mr. I Thought I Was Teflon. This is one of the few things that baseball got right.

As for Barry, he needs to remember that a certain percentage of votes from a panel of voters that generally stay the same through the years have to elect him for enshrinement into the Hall. If 2007 was his last year, he still has five years to piss off voters, or to be found guilty of cheating. Remember Marion Jones of Olympic fame? Players like Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Juan Gonzalez (and probably others too countless to mention) who in different eras had lead pipe Hall of Fame careers, might never see it in their lifetime, if ever at all.

Baseball doesn't need Bonds as bad as he needs baseball. The Hall of Fame will certainly not suffer one bit without him. His statements will only come back to haunt him in the future if he continues to make such stupid remarks.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Look everybody....RAW MEAT!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember correctly, Rose agreed to be permanently ineligible. I don't see the comparison between Rose and Bonds on the HOF issue, as it stands today.

Regardless of whether I think Barry Bonds used steroids, I think it would show a complete and total lack of class to display a ball marked with one or many asterisks. I think it is all a non-issue at this point, though. The ball is not on display, and Bonds has not been voted into the HOF. Who's to say he doesn't make a deal in the future similar to Rose's?

I'll reserve my right to make a judgment until circumstances change.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 08:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
We know he took steroids (he says he took it unknowingly) the clear. He claims he was told it was flax seed oil. What could a drop of flax seed oil under the tongue do for you! You're naive if you beleive he never knowingly took steroids human growth or whatever. The preponderance of evidence suggests he cheated.
Remember, there is a LIE in believe.

I did not say I believed one thing or the other, just that you're not gonna get Bonds on anything, so everyone needs to drop it. Unless of course you plan on putting asterisks on every modern player's record.

Also remember, Evian is naive spelled backward.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:42pm.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 08:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Remember, there is a LIE in believe.

I did not say I believed one thing or the other, just that your not gonna get Bonds on anything, so everyone needs to drop it. Unless of course you plan on putting asterisks on every modern player's record.

Also remember, Evian is naive spelled backward.
Gerg Nosredna is so evian he's sitting in a jail cell because he refuses to testify in front of a grand jury. What's he got to lose if there is nothing to hide?
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not say I believed one thing or the other, just that your not gonna get Bonds on anything, so everyone needs to drop it. .
I'm saving this post.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Gerg Nosredna is so evian he's sitting in a jail cell because he refuses to testify in front of a grand jury. What's he got to lose if there is nothing to hide?
He has everything to gain by testifying. It sounds to me he does not mind sitting in jail to prevent a witch hunt.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
He has everything to gain by testifying. It sounds to me he does not mind sitting in jail to prevent a witch hunt.

Peace
That's it for sure. Altruism in it's purist form. Nosredna would rather give up his freedom, his ability to care for his family, his professional life, and his future for nothing more than the warm feeling he'll get from preventing "a witch hunt."

A grateful Barry down the road will be just a coincidental small bonus.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 01:15am.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 03:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
That's it for sure. Altruism in it's purist form. Nosredna would rather give up his freedom, his ability to care for his family, his professional life, and his future for nothing more than the warm feeling he'll get from preventing "a witch hunt."

A grateful Barry down the road will be just a coincidental small bonus.
I do not know his personal life or what he is obligated to do. But what you said is what many people did for many other causes that they believed in. I think many civil rights leaders for example did just that for what they believed in. This is not a national movement, but it might be something he believes in. Just because the rest of you here do not have that kind of courage to take a jail time for something you believe in does not mean he has something to hide. Maybe he feels testifying is not going to get justice. That after all is his right and he is paying for it.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
....clipped.... Just because the rest of you here do not have that kind of courage to take a jail time for something you believe in does not mean he has something to hide......

Peace
Stereotyped. You a$$ume too much from posted argument.

Maybe you should ask first. Then again, I don't think you care to know.

And I don't buy the a$$umption that Garth or anyone here is not willing to pay a price for their beliefs. Some of us do that daily.

Ignorance is bliss.

Flame-On!
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree 100%. I would be pissed if they put a friggin asterisk on my HR record that I spent years breaking. Nobody is going to convict Bonds for anything folks, so just get that out of your heads now. Hundreds of MLB players use steroids, including many pitchers who Barry Bonds hit home runs off. Are we going to see asterisks on every one of those? I think not, so get over the fact that Barry clobbered more home runs than Aaron and everyone's golden boy Ruth.

Steroids or not, it takes a whole lot of talent to even hit a baseball, much less hit it out of stadiums against major league pitching. Steroids don't make that much difference when it comes to the hand/eye coordination and other batting skills.
I agree with you 100%!

Although I personally believe that Bonds used steroids, I don't believe an asterisk should be placed on his achievement. Baseball has always had "eras." As baseball moves on, this will simply be known as the Steroid Era and everybody will recognize it as that - without the need for any silly asterisks. Bonds' achievement will be seen for what it is and each individual can ascribe to this achievement whatever they desire.

Sure - it takes skill to hit homeruns, whether you're on steroids or not. If I started pumping up on steroids, I couldn't hit a major league fastball out of the park, not to mention even hit it at all. I think there are many major league hitters who, given the benefit of steroids, would never come close to achieving what Bonds has achieved. Yet, it has to be assumed that many of Bonds' homeruns would have been nothing more than long flyballs had steroids not been involved.

I say, let him have his record and allow individuals to take it for what it's worth.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Last edited by David Emerling; Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 04:03pm.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not know his personal life or what he is obligated to do. But what you said is what many people did for many other causes that they believed in. I think many civil rights leaders for example did just that for what they believed in. This is not a national movement, but it might be something he believes in. Just because the rest of you here do not have that kind of courage to take a jail time for something you believe in does not mean he has something to hide. Maybe he feels testifying is not going to get justice. That after all is his right and he is paying for it.

Peace
You compare the civil rights movement with covering up steriod use?

Shame on you.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Barry Who? My main concern is how long will it take for the Giants to be out of the running for A-Rod? Let me count the seconds!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.