The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
1. If Bradley does not hurt his knee, is this a big deal for more than 24 hours?

2. If Winters is being grooved for a crew chief job, why would this take him out of it?

3. If the Pads were not in the playoff hunt, would this matter at all?

You see my point? This situation, and his suspension, has been moved only because the 1B coached accused an umpire of racism, which always gets some media people fired up. It's also big because the Pads are in the playoff hunt.
I have had an opportunity to watch a lot of ESPN lately and I can tell you that the "racism" part of this story was not even a major blip on the screen for most of the media. There was more focus on what Winters said and the "baiting" of Bradley than any part of what the 1B coach claimed.

This story had legs more because the media likes to constantly rip on officials and highlight when they get in trouble. Just like when the situation with Joey Crawford took place. There is this position the media takes that officials do are not held to the same level of accountability as everyone else. This of course is not at all true, but that is the impression. It is funny how people that are so informed about things in sports never have a clue about any level of officiating. I have not even heard much about this part of the story that Bradley was the one that confronted Winters that started this whole thing. It is just a sexy story to blame the ump as usual.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
...There is this position the media takes that officials do are not held to the same level of accountability as everyone else. This of course is not at all true, but that is the impression...

Truer words have not been spoken.......
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:29am

Of course officials are supposed to be held to higher standards and accountabilty than the participants. Why shouldn't they be? You just can't go around calling people a f-ing piece of sh!t, and that is all there is to it. That is the bottom line.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Just an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Of course officials are supposed to be held to higher standards and accountabilty than the participants. Why shouldn't they be? You just can't go around calling people a f-ing piece of sh!t, and that is all there is to it. That is the bottom line.
I think you are acting like such a homer you are not even paying attention to what anyone is really saying. And as far as I am concerned, players should not be using any language either, but that is another discussion for another day.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you are acting like such a homer you are not even paying attention to what anyone is really saying. And as far as I am concerned, players should not be using any languageeither, but that is another discussion for another day.

Peace
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen one report from anyone saying that Milton Bradley used profanity towards Winters BEFORE Winters called him a FPOS. Or are we all just ASSUMING that because it is Bradley and because Winters used profanity that Milton must have said something profane to Winters first? Until I see something that says Bradley directed some profanity towards Winters first, then what Winters said was wrong plain and simple and he got what he deserved.

Last edited by gsf23; Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 11:57am.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
san diego steve:

are you telling me you've never used a profane word when in an argument with a coach?
The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll proudly admit that in 30 years of umpiring, I've never sworn at a manager/coach/player. The only time I've used profanity is if I said something like, "Did you just tell me I was full of schit?" or when I repeat to a manager/coach what his ejected player said that got him ejected.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen one report from anyone saying that Milton Bradley used profanity towards Winters BEFORE Winters called him a FPOS. Or are we all just ASSUMING that because it is Bradley and because Winters used profanity that Milton must have said something profane to Winters first? Until I see something that says Bradley directed some profanity towards Winters first, then what Winters said was wrong plain and simple and he got what he deserved.
I am not talking about this confrontation. I have no idea what was said. Unlike many others here, I have no idea what was said and do not claim that profanity was used by anyone. But there have been many taped arguments and language has been used by players and coaches in arguments. I seriously doubt that someone that has to be restrained as if someone is preventing them from fighting, is not using any "inappropriate language." I know that I have worked games and I have heard language used and I do not recall such that nice language was used. Remember, the report and Bradley admitted to confronting Winters first.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
san diego steve:

are you telling me you've never used a profane word when in an argument with a coach?
What, are you being intentionally obtuse or something?

I never said that profanity was bad to use. I said that personal comments calling someone a profane name are not to be used.

Have you even bothered to read any of my other posts? I said that Winters could have said "shut the f*** up" and he would have been alright.

Yeah, I've occasionally used profanity, but in 21 years of umpiring never once called anyone a f****** piece of sh!t, either.

One time I said to an arguing HS coach, "Dave, that's bullsh!t and you know it." I got reprimanded by my association for using profanity. This was way back in 1988.

In adult leagues, where cussing is acceptable, you still don't call people nasty names.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 12:54pm

Quote:
I think you are acting like such a homer you are not even paying attention to what anyone is really saying.
That is just too stupid for words, so I won't waste any.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That is just too stupid for words, so I won't waste any.
It must not be too stupid, you responded.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 02:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
In adult leagues, where cussing is acceptable, you still don't call people nasty names.
Even if its true?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 03:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The WUA is not challenging the suspension and the incident is costing Winters not only the five games but also an LCS this season:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...04933280_x.htm

Richie Phillips, where have you gone?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 04:16pm

I don't know about anyone else's association, but if I called a player what Winters called Bradley, I'm sure I would have been not just suspended, but kicked out of my association. Winters got off easy.

Look, I probably know Winters as well or better than anyone on this forum. Like I have said before, I like the guy. He was just wrong in this case. Should he be fired? Of course not, but some punishment was needed.

Rutledge, just for the record, I would feel the same way if it had happened to your favorite team or player too. It just happened to involve the team I root for. No homer here.

I blame Bud Black for injuring Bradley, and I blame Bradley for being a hothead to start with. But the suspension of Winters was warranted.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else's association, but if I called a player what Winters called Bradley, I'm sure I would have been not just suspended, but kicked out of my association. Winters got off easy.
Please do not try to be overly dramatic. I do not see any umpire getting thrown out if all they did was use a "bad word." Suspended maybe, but not just using a bad word.

Quote:
Look, I probably know Winters as well or better than anyone on this forum. Like I have said before, I like the guy. He was just wrong in this case. Should he be fired? Of course not, but some punishment was needed.
The previous comment is that you would have been thrown out of an association and now you are saying he should not be fired? Huh?

Quote:
Rutledge, just for the record, I would feel the same way if it had happened to your favorite team or player too. It just happened to involve the team I root for. No homer here.

I blame Bud Black for injuring Bradley, and I blame Bradley for being a hothead to start with. But the suspension of Winters was warranted.
If Bradley did not get hurt and this was a regular ejection, no one would even have made an issue out of this. Since Winters is your friend, why not ask him what was said? I would not be surprised if his side of the story is a little different. Not to say that he did not make any comments that was inappropriate. You are going off about this as if you had some inside information and you do not.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:45pm

Quote:
Please do not try to be overly dramatic. I do not see any umpire getting thrown out if all they did was use a "bad word." Suspended maybe, but not just using a bad word.
YGTBSM!!! It wasn't just for using a bad word. Where did I ever say that?

Using a bad word is different from calling someone a F.P.O.S.

I was suspended for what I said I was suspended for (the fan incident). I then posted that if I had said what Winters said, I likely would have been kicked out of my (and Winters') association. I know how my association works, and you had better be on your best behavior on a ball field. I also said I was reprimanded for once saying the word "bullsh!t" in a conversational manner during an argument. Very strict.

Quote:
The previous comment is that you would have been thrown out of an association and now you are saying he should not be fired? Huh?
Try to keep up here. I would have likely have been kicked out of my association for it. MLB obviously works differently. Their mileage apparently varies. I don't think it would be right for Winters to lose his job. I'm not a firedougeddings.com member. I also don't think it was right for me to get the suspension I received in 1991, but that's how the vote came down. Like I said, very strict disciplinarians. A couple enemies on the board didn't help matters.

Quote:
If Bradley did not get hurt and this was a regular ejection, no one would even have made an issue out of this. Since Winters is your friend, why not ask him what was said? I would not be surprised if his side of the story is a little different. Not to say that he did not make any comments that was inappropriate. You are going off about this as if you had some inside information and you do not.
Bradley got hurt because of Bud Black's two-point take-down/semi-suplex that he applied. I'm not blaming Mike Winters for that. I don't think the fact that Bradley got hurt is what is driving this story at all. It's all about the calling another human being something very foul and nasty. And it is more about a professional umpire saying something that disgusting to a player when he should be rising above such behavior. Words have meaning (a concept which liberals don't ever seem to grasp), and in this case they had repercussions.

I didn't say we were friends. I know him. He knows me. We don't hang out. Got it? Sure his story might be different, but MLB decided his story didn't jibe with what really happened, didn't it? I guess they know what's up.

I'm not "going off" about anything. Now you also are being obtuse (must be contagious). I never said I had any inside information. I have the same information as anyone else does, and that is that Winters said what has been reported.