The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Did he Touch the plate?

The Rockies win on a sacrifice fly in extra innings but did the runner touch the plate?

Tim McClelland said he did.

TV said he didn't.

What an embarassment to MLB umpiring.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Tim was working with a seven second delay. And yes, he did miss this call. Perhaps he can retire with Hoffman.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Never saw a replay that tells me that he didn't touch the plate. An overhead shot is the only way to really tell. On the angle from LF looking down the baseline, the runner's hand gets shielded by the catcher's shoe. Then from the angle behind the plate, the hand gets shielded by the runner's sliding body.

Tim did get caught out of position, he moved to 3BLX, which looked like would provide him with the swipe tag angle. Then it was a banger at the front of the plate.

So "Tim like" to wait like that too... no hesitation, just good timing, and nonchalant Tim McClelland safe call.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

JimPorter, can we get a video clip?
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:43pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Timing was good...after all, he couldn't see the ball...and if he couldn't see the ball in this instance, surely he couldn't see Holliday touch the plate. I think he missed it too...but there isn't any evidence to say for 100% that he missed the plate...and if you're not 100% sure, then the runner is safe. My question to Tim would be...if Barrett came up w/ the ball, would he have called him out? Based upon the timing of when he made the safe call, I would lean toward him calling Holliday out...but, we'll never know.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
So "Tim like" to wait like that too... no hesitation, just good timing, and nonchalant Tim McClelland safe call.
I have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical. I think there's at least a chance that he didn't see it, knew he didn't have it, wanted the runner to touch to make it irrelevant, but once the catcher had the ball and the runner didn't move, made the expected not unexpected call.

Maybe he was replaying it in his head and waiting to be sure of his call. Seemed a bit late, though.

No replay I saw was conculsive. Finger might have gotten in there.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing, Johnny, as I was watching it live. If he was waiting to see the baseball to make a call, wasn't that the same as saying Holliday hadn't touched the plate yet? But by calling Holliday safe even after Barrett tagged him, wasn't McLelland saying he had touched it? I don't know whether he did or not, but I was confused by how the call was made.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

it is so obvious he missed it...even from his angle...

and the catcher made the tag after he picked up the ball too...

bad call in a crucial game
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:10am
Stop staring at me swan.

Even the best miss 'em...seeing those help me during the season when I miss a call...I guarantee that when I know I missed one, nobody in the stadium feels crappier than me. That being said, there is still no proof that he touched the base, or missed the base. Even with replay, there would've been no evidence to overrule his call.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

With the angles we have on T.V. yes, he missed it. He had great position for a swipe tag, he delayed the call to see the ball then called him safe. Perhaps he could have been a little quicker with his call, but that's Tim. He didn't rush a call all night. Then again, I've never seen him rush a call. It was a close play which deserved some timing.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

There is no replay I have seen that shows the runner did not touch the base - therefore after further review the plays stands as called on the field - Rockies win.

If you say the runner did not touch the base - you are assuming.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 01:48am

I was at school and did not see the play. When I got home my wife was hollering at the local news' sports highlights saying the umpire blew the call because the runner never touched the base. But I didn't pay much attention to what she said. After all, she ain't no umpire.

On the way home, I was listening to Loony on Sports on FOX radio. They gave the Rockies' announcer's call and all he said was that Barrett dropped the ball, he's safe, and the Rockies win. I had no idea that it was anything but a dropped ball.

Now I'm hearing here that Barrett picked up the ball and tagged Holliday and Holliday still had not touched home? Ouch, babe...sounds like a blown call to me. So, I went in the bedroom and told my wife she was right and that many people on the forum think McClelland blew the call. She said "I told you so" (do they always have to do that?) I think McClelland and his phony timing suck to begin with, but that's another story. I mean there is timing and then there is just being ridiculously slow.

Maybe I should turn on Sports Center and watch the horror for myself. I'm still too pissed at Hoffman to stomach it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

my question is: Did anyone see that the runner DID NOT touch home plate? NO ... we can't see it from the camera angles - many are just assuming he did not ... maybe the umpire had a better angle than camera 1 or camera 2 and he did see a swipe of the hand over the base.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
JimPorter, can we get a video clip?
Here ya go:

http://menotomyjournal.com/mlbvids/col.wmv
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 05:21am

Still hard to tell. It looked like McClelland had a good view from 3BLX (insert rolling eyes here).

Whatever. The Padres can't blame this loss on the umpire. Hoffman gave the game away and the team choked on the same piece of meat the Mets did. Paging Dr. Heimlich for a little maneuver to be performed on my pathetic Padres (insert angry face here).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread