The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed
Does anyone have a link which quotes Meachem claiming that racial remarks were made? The closest that I am aware of is a report in the San Diego Union-Tribune. http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...s24padres.html
"Asked whether what Winters said had racial overtones, Meacham, who, like Bradley, is black, replied, “It smacked of that tone.”

I have trouble seeing this as anything other than Meachem expressing an impression, and it hardly qualifies as "lying."
Given what Winters actually said, I don't believe that a reasonable person would conclude that "it smacked of that tone." More plausibly, Meacham saw an opportunity to mislead the press by giving the impression that Winters had used racist language, when in fact he had not.

Deliberately deceiving others who deserve the truth is a lie in anyone's book. This might not be "beyond a reasonable doubt," but I suppose that each of us is entitled to his own impression of Meacham.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Given what Winters actually said, I don't believe that a reasonable person would conclude that "it smacked of that tone." More plausibly, Meacham saw an opportunity to mislead the press by giving the impression that Winters had used racist language, when in fact he had not.
Winters uttered considerably more words than just "FPOS." I don't think any of us know what those words were or the tone.
Also, "smacking of a racial tone" is not "racist language." Tone refers to that which isn't explicitly said.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Winters uttered considerably more words than just "FPOS." I don't think any of us know what those words were or the tone.
So you're guessing. I repeat: given what he said, it's unreasonable to assert what Meacham did.

Quote:
Also, "smacking of a racial tone" is not "racist language." Tone refers to that which isn't explicitly said.
I agree with the latter, but the former doesn't follow. I believe racist language includes language "smacking of a racial tone."
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Time for this thread to be locked. It's off-topic and has gone beyond the three page maximum.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

As usual.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Time for this thread to be locked. It's off-topic and has gone beyond the three page maximum.
    1. I have not heard tell of the demise of the moderator, nor his placing you in charge of the locking of the threads at this time.

2. The thread is very "on-topic." I just read through the posts and they are all still dealing with the suspension of Mike Winters, which has many facets, many new developments, and has not yet run its course.

3. The three page maximum only applies to your threads
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
1) How is it off topic? It deals with how an umpire should (or shouldn't) act, how MLB is different from amateur ball and what an appropriate penalty is.

2) What "three page maximum?"

I do agree that it's getting a bit repetitive, though.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:12am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Yep. Shame on me for condemning the coach who told the media that Winters made a racial slur, then changed his story to Winters made a comment that could be taken racially, then changed his story to one in which no racial accusation was made.

Shame on me for condeming the coach who threw Winters under the bus with his lies.

Shame on me for condemning the coach who never retracted his original statement and let Winters twist in the wind for two days hung by the racial accusation.

Yep. Shame on me for referring to him as a lying POS rat coach, and of all places, on an umpire forum.

And good for you, coach, for standing up for him.
My God, we agree!
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
1) How is it off topic? It deals with how an umpire should (or shouldn't) act, how MLB is different from amateur ball and what an appropriate penalty is.

2) What "three page maximum?"

I do agree that it's getting a bit repetitive, though.
Besides, I haven't posted and asked the question........
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:56am

Except that you ask it at the end of EVERY SINGLE POST!
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
That's cause......I CAN'T FIND THE DANG THINGS!!!
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Either you do not read with comprehension or you do not write what you mean.

You wrote: "Winters was not accused of racism, he was found guilty of being profane and abusive," to which I correctly replied that he was indeed accused of a making a racial statement, falsely as it turned out.

MLB did not make the accusations. MLB adjudged the accusations. Winters was found to not have made a racial comment. He was found guilty of making a "profane" comment to a player, which, up to now, has not been grounds for suspension.

So, it appears, as I stated early on, it would seem the rules have changed.
No, there was a newspaper quote that you concluded was an accusation of racism. What Meacham told MLB is not known, except to MLB.

No umpire has ever been suspended from MLB for making a profane statement? If so, then Winters must have broken new ground in what he said and in the manner he delivered it.

Since their were 4 parties to the incident and the only one punished was the umpire what is a reasonable person to conclude?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2. Unfortunately, often when ESPN and FOX update an ongoing story on their website. (indidated by the tag they put under the blyline, e.g. "updated 3 hours ago") they give the updated story the same URL as the original, thus the original is not saved to their site.
Try this: http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
No, there was a newspaper quote that you concluded was an accusation of racism. What Meacham told MLB is not known, except to MLB.

No umpire has ever been suspended from MLB for making a profane statement? If so, then Winters must have broken new ground in what he said and in the manner he delivered it.

Since their were 4 parties to the incident and the only one punished was the umpire what is a reasonable person to conclude?
I don't know if you are unable to read or just being purposefully dense.

1. The racial accusation was made by Meacham, not MLB.

2. MLB made no accusations, they considered those made by others.

3. MLB punished Winters for making a profane statement, not for making a racial statement.

4. Most likely, all of the punishments are either not being made public or have not been completed at this point.

5. Winters was wrong by today's standards and was punished. I have never argued otherwise.

6. Meacham is a lying rat bast@rd who, most likely will get away with being a lying rat bast@rd.

7. Bradley is, well...no sense discussing that phucking piece of sh!t again.

8. Time for you to go back on the ignore list.

9. I'm done with this thread.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:28pm

Top Nine List?

Nine?????? You stopped at nine???? You couldn't have came up with just ONE MORE?????

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu Oct 04, 2007 at 12:39am.