The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the replay here http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=nyy. Click on "Francona's Ejection" that is along the right side under Related Links. You can clearly see Youkilis take four steps away from Rodriguez as he attempting to tag him. Rodriguez didn't just flip the glove out there either, he went to a full out stretch to tag Youkilis and still couldn't tag him.

The video doesn't lie folks. Youkilis was out of the baseline and properly called out by Carlson initially and after the huddle.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

When does Carlson call him out BEFORE the huddle?
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 03:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Say what?

According to the game report, the problem was that there were TWO first calls. Cousins on 2B called Youkilis safe. Carlson on 3B called him out. That's why they got together.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270830110
I'm guessing that the MLB approach is to not signal safe when a close pay happens on a tag where the tag is missed. If in fact this approach does exist, then at least the story would include the Us mentioning the safe called from U2 is for the missed tag and U3 signalled out for leaving the basepath.

As it was, Francona was upset that U3 didn't have as good a look, in his opinion. He likely knows little about mechanics, so his claim has backbone only if he got lucky.

I'm guessing that since the play is going to 3B, the call is U3's. Why then did U2 make a call? I bet Cousins, U2, got the crew together and led the crew into reversing his crap call.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Direct Link To The Video
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 03:39am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
Thanks.

I have him safe.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Really??? Even after watching the video and seeing him run away from Rodriguez and take at least four steps and end up on the infield grass. Wow!

Please don't tell me you don't umpire any games in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Thanks.

I have him safe.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

ARod took two steps forward and still couldn't touch Youkalis.

In the end, the correct call was made and I'm a Red Sox fan.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Although the runner began his route before the fielder had the ball, he clearly deviated more than a reach (and thus more than 3') as the fielder played on him. I have him out as well, and I'm surprised that the MLB guys missed it the first time around.

My speculation would be that, if there were in fact two different calls, the 3B umpire called the runner out of the baseline (he had a good angle on that), and the 2B umpire called "no tag" (he had a good angle on that). But they got it right in the end...
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
How's the weather north of New Haven?
Not bad, Don, from what I have heard. Pretty much going to be in the 80's with less humidity for the holiday weekend.

Regards
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Not bad, Don, from what I have heard. Pretty much going to be in the 80's with less humidity for the holiday weekend.

Regards
This is a conspiracy. MLB can't stand the thought of having a playoff tournament without the Yankees...so they and their lackeys (the umps) have conspired to make sure the Yanks at least get the wild card. This is Bullsh!t.

That was a brutal call!

(Just joking...the umps absolutely got that call right.)
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix
Really??? Even after watching the video and seeing him run away from Rodriguez and take at least four steps and end up on the infield grass. Wow! SNIPPED
The only thing that I can say is Yuke was on the grass after passing A-Rod. His deviation at the time of the attempted tag was not more than three feet. And yes, I am a Red Sox fan but believe me, I'd feel the same way if A-Rod was the runner. This is my opinion and the way that I would judge the play. I am more pi$$ed about turning the diamond into a board room but it's all history and I am ready to move on!

Regards
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Although the runner began his route before the fielder had the ball, he clearly deviated more than a reach (and thus more than 3') as the fielder played on him. I have him out as well, and I'm surprised that the MLB guys missed it the first time around.
That would have been great if A-Rod was in the baseline at the time of attempted tag. Has no one realized that camera angle is not directly over third base? The infield grass is just two feet inside the baseline, A-rod was not even in the actual baseline when the tag was attempted. His glove during the tag barely made the baseline! I'm not a fan of either team, and it's obvious, a fan sees what they want to see.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

When judging this play, we need to decide when the baseline is established. This type of call is 100% judgement, and a tough sell either way. It's tough because the baseline is not established by a static reference point.
Quote:
Any runner is out when --
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;
So when did Arod begin to tag Youk? I say at about 0:19 of Jim Porter's video link. Now Youk move to his left. Did he move three feet? Maybe, but I really don't think its as easy a call as some would believe.

I had him safe in live action and out after the replay.

As an aside, why didn't Arod just start the 5-4-3 double play on this ball?
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktownBlue
The infield grass is just two feet inside the baseline, A-rod was not even in the actual baseline when the tag was attempted. His glove during the tag barely made the baseline! I'm not a fan of either team, and it's obvious, a fan sees what they want to see.
~sigh~

You can't be serious... please read rule 7.08.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktownBlue
That would have been great if A-Rod was in the baseline at the time of attempted tag. Has no one realized that camera angle is not directly over third base? The infield grass is just two feet inside the baseline, A-rod was not even in the actual baseline when the tag was attempted. His glove during the tag barely made the baseline! I'm not a fan of either team, and it's obvious, a fan sees what they want to see.
You don't know the rule.

A fielder gets the ball. He reaches for the runner going right by him and misses. A man's arms are about 3 feet long. If the fielder misses the tag, the runner has deviated more than 3 feet from his baseline. The runner is out. QED

If you don't follow this line of reasoning, your fanboy circuits have blocked your logical circuits.