Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

My Side Of The Story

Hey Guys

Thanks for watching. I logged on to see what yall thought about the game.

Honestly, I completely forgot about that one incident. I enjoyed the game, and really didn't reflect on much that had happened.

As for the topic of discussion, my initial concern was of course for the player's well being, as I'm sure was the coach's. I was in no hurry to resume play as long as the players health was an issue. However, as soon as the coach was convinced his player was good to go, which became obvious when he began to discuss strategy, I was as well.

The coach had his say, and was a gentleman throughout the remainder of the game.

Thanks for watching, and let me know what you see or hear that I might improve on.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Where's the lie Garth,
It's right here:

"the coach is heard on his mic coaching the kid on being sure to not let a fastball get by him when he gets back in the box. Umpire says it's time to get the game moving, to which coach rat responds rather rudely:

"Hey, he's hurt. I'm just checking on him!"

Quote:
Yet somehow, after attending to the kid, saying "Don't let the fastball by you" as you prepare to return to the dugout makes you a lying rat.
No, saying you're still attending to the player when in fact you're coaching him makes one a lying Rat.

Quote:
You're wrong. Tim's wrong.
Only in Bizarro World and Ratlandia.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Aug 19, 2007 at 02:02am.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Rattus Minimus

This is a charged offensive timeout, pure and simple.

I realize that many of our group don't do small ball. You get one offensive conference per inning.

UNLESS, defensive coach takes a charged conference with pitcher/defense. Then offense gets a "freebie," which must end when defense ends their confab.

Off topic, I'm still waiting for one LLWS ump to correctly call INT on BR running outside of the lane. I have seen exactly one umpire hustle up the 1B line with no one on.

After 30+ years of umpiring LL, it pains me to watch the deplorable quality of umpiring in W-port.

Another aside--can LL provide these umps with flex belts? Just an idea.

Ace in CT
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 03:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE
Hey Guys

Thanks for watching. I logged on to see what yall thought about the game.

Honestly, I completely forgot about that one incident. I enjoyed the game, and really didn't reflect on much that had happened.

As for the topic of discussion, my initial concern was of course for the player's well being, as I'm sure was the coach's. I was in no hurry to resume play as long as the players health was an issue. However, as soon as the coach was convinced his player was good to go, which became obvious when he began to discuss strategy, I was as well.

The coach had his say, and was a gentleman throughout the remainder of the game.

Thanks for watching, and let me know what you see or hear that I might improve on.
Eagle Eye,

So that was you working the dish, huh? I wasn't able to watch the whole game. I was flipping back and forth with the Chargers/Rams tilt. But what I saw of it, you were doing a good job back there. Good mechanics from what I can remember.

I'm just glad you aren't the guy with the weird vocals from the Texas/Minnesota game. Somebody should tell him he should change his strike/ball/foul calls. Really annoying.

If you get a chance, tell the 3rd base guy from the Arizona/Maryland game to stop calling foul on balls that tip off the catcher's glove and didn't hit the bat. That is the plate umpire's call. This caused a home run that never should have happened, as the out at third base would have ended the inning. And don't answer a catcher's request for a check swing, but wait to be asked. He overruled the PU twice that I saw.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Aug 19, 2007 at 03:39am.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Eagle Eye,

I'm just glad you aren't the guy with the weird vocals from the Texas/Minnesota game. Somebody should tell him he should change his strike/ball/foul calls. Really annoying.
I agree, the guy did a good job overall but, a little too loud on most of his calls, especially ball calls that were really obvious too the whole world and no announcement was necessary.

"Ballllllllllllllllll"

Again, overall a GOOD job though and kudos to him for being there.

Now for the announcers of the game, where did they get these two babaling (sp)? brooks.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Angry

OK all you hard heads.

Let's change it a bit.

Batter gets hit in the helmet by a pitch. Coach goes to check on him and walk him to 1B. As he's walking to player to 1B he says "Next time remember to duck".

Does this make it a charged offensive conference?

All opposed say "No".

All in favor - find another line of work.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I'm astonished, Rich, that an experienced coach like you seems unable to tell the difference between advice offered in passing that does not delay the game, and a charged conference. Your new case is not apposite, and tells us nothing about the OP.

You know better.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK all you hard heads.

Let's change it a bit.

Batter gets hit in the helmet by a pitch. Coach goes to check on him and walk him to 1B. As he's walking to player to 1B he says "Next time remember to duck".

All opposed say "No".

I remember this tactic from the eighth grade. When you can't win on facts, change the situation to the point of ridiculousness and position your opponent based on his answer to a previous and different situation.

Didn't work then, either.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Completely different sitch. Now you've brought in a bag of apples for a discussion about oranges.

Not only is this sitch different, but the "coaching" is different, AND Coach didn't tell the ump he's tending to an injury when indeed he's coaching batting strategy. "Get your head out of the way" isn't exactly something you go over in practice!!

I'd be surprised if I didn't tell the kid to duck next time. Does that mean I'm now trying to coach when I should be umpiring? Uuuuuhhhhhh - no.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK all you hard heads.

Let's change it a bit.

All opposed say "No".

Come on, Rich! You are really straining to find an out here! Of course that comment is coaching but it is part of the injury visit. I don't think anyone but Smitty would nail you on that one!

I'm really laughing my arse off on this one, Rich!
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
" . . . who looked to be overreacting . . . "

Is that one of those famous judgement calls?

Absolutely a judgment call. The ball hit the dirt and then bounced up hitting the kid on the side of his leg. He went down like he'd been shot for crying out loud. Consider the kid from Texas who was hit square on the nose with a thrown ball for a moment, Rich. He didn't put on the display that this kid did. It was overreacting, to be sure.

Tim.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Consider the kid from Texas who was hit square on the nose with a thrown ball for a moment, Rich. He didn't put on the display that this kid did. It was overreacting, to be sure.
That kid took it like a man. I was proud to see him come out for the next half-inning.

This Texas team looks like the team to beat now. I thought it was going to be Arizona, but after seeing the combination of pitching and hitting these kids from Lubbock have been doing, I may be changing horses.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
That kid took it like a man. I was proud to see him come out for the next half-inning.

This Texas team looks like the team to beat now. I thought it was going to be Arizona, but after seeing the combination of pitching and hitting these kids from Lubbock have been doing, I may be changing horses.
I've been doing this umpiring thing for nearly two decades, Steve. I've seen some nasty injuries, but I'd never seen a player bleed so much a base and the dirt surrounding it needed to be replaced until last night. I was amazed the kid came out on the switch.

Oh, and welcome back, buddy.

Tim.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Much ado about nothing. If all he said was what was reported I pay it no attention and let the coach continue administering to the kid. You can only look like an ogre by forcing the kid back to the plate while coach is still by his side attending to him. By the way, I would never charge a conference for this, even when rules limit the number of offensive conferences. But is there a limit in LL baseball (using modified OBR)?
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I think charging a conference would be going a step too far. But I also believe the plate umpire in this situation handled it well. Once the injury is no longer the focus of the delay, it's time to move the game along.