Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Rats either--

dont bother to know rules or--

learn rules to twist to thier advantage. they see no other reason to do so!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
You're confusing a Rat's knowledge of the rules, which can be impressive, with a Rat's attitude of right and wrong, which is dismal.

Rats, at times, know the black and white of the rulebook, but come time for application, they still think like a Rat.
Is the term Rat used perjoratively or tongue-in-cheek or both?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
Rats either--

dont bother to know rules or--

learn rules to twist to thier advantage. they see no other reason to do so!
Is that your entire experience with coaches?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Is that your entire experience with coaches?
ANY umpire whos been in the 'game' long enough....this WILL be your experience-- if its not, then you arent umpiring games of conseqence.

if you want to study the back ground of the term "rat' you need to do a search here--if you are not familair with the term then you are brandnew to umpiring!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
ANY umpire whos been in the 'game' long enough....this WILL be your experience-- if its not, then you arent umpiring games of conseqence.

if you want to study the back ground of the term "rat' you need to do a search here--if you are not familiar with the term then you are brandnew to umpiring!
I think I have enough experiences and game counts to say that my overall experience with coaches has been as varied as their's with umpires. A lot of good, bad and mixed. I catch the drift of the word Rat and, no, the term is common only here as far as I know.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
And the umpire's manual dictates that I be standing there with you to make sure you are not tending to issues other than the injury. Once the conversation chagnes course, we're through and we're playing ball. If you want to keep talking to him, then we have a charged time out.

With the batter sitch mentioned - if I hear the "coaching" I'm moving you along, and if I get the "I'm checking on my player, he's hurt" comment I'm going to ask .....
I'm with you until here. No asking, it's time to remind the coach he's over stepped his bounds and to exit, Stage Right.

Quote:
Discussion leads away from the injury looks like a good line to me.
Draw it tight, sharp and quick.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depends on the Rat.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the term is common only here as far as I know.
Having worked in four states and having close friends in at least ten others, I know the term to be common in many areas of the country.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depends on the Rat.
Glad to hear.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Are your association officers and league officials (district and school athletic coordinators) aware that you write in such a derogatory manner about the coaches, in at least some cases, of their member schools?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 05:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker
Are your association officers and league officials (district and school athletic coordinators) aware that you write in such a derogatory manner about the coaches, in at least some cases, of their member schools?
Coaches like you are the main reason that the term "rats" is so widely used.

Just saying.......
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Why should we care what the school district administrators think? I only see AD's at playoff games anyway.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

They sign your checks, for one thing.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker
Coach, I suspect some are. Just as we are aware of the derogatory terms and language used by certain area coaches towards umpires.

The term Rat is an old one and, in part, refers to the fact that some coaches, while appropriately acting as lobbyists for their teams, take that to such an exteme that, during the game, what they say becomes suspect and disbelieved. Some of the top Spokane area coaches have outright lied to me and tried to cheat during games and admitted it afterwards, shrugging it off as, "part of my job."

Hard as it is for some beginners to believe, we accept that, although we still consider it dishonest and rat-like behavior.

Off the field, I have an excellent relationship with many of the coaches who display this kind of behavior on the field.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 06:17pm.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Having worked in four states and having close friends in at least ten others, I know the term Rat to be common in many areas of the country.
SE USA, FL presently (if I ever get a flight back instead of missing them -duh). Never heard Rat. Others terms less kind, by the truckload.
Closed Thread