Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker
They sign your checks, for one thing.
And I provide my service.

Remember, these are the same people who call us stupid, blind, cheaters, homies, and these are the nice things!

Yawn!
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker
They sign your checks, for one thing.
My checks are signed by my association President. We work on a 4 year contract with the local HS leagues in our area. The schools pay their respectives leagues.

I hear what you are saying, however; I consider the players/coaches to be our real 'customer' if you want to use that kind of terminology. I never consider the school administration or AD's in the same way.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

LL baseball, Williamsport, Rats, focus on the subject guys.

Gawd I will be glad when the tournament is over so the feeding frenzy will end.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

rats causually lie so we casually call them RATS.

only folks here getin upset bout that are the RATS. wonder why that is?
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
rats causually lie so we casually call them RATS.
I have to admit, Larry, that you have a point there.

Quote:
only folks here getin upset bout that are the RATS. wonder why that is?
Good news for you.

http://tinyurl.com/3df9b3
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Spellcheck, Larry, Spellcheck!
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

It was stated here before but, I believe, needs to be repeated: if coaches and players didn't try to cheat, there would be no need for umpires.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold A.
It was stated here before but, I believe, needs to be repeated: if coaches and players didn't try to cheat, there would be no need for umpires.
That reminds me of something I saw last spring.

As I was leaving school one day, I saw our JV team scrimmaging a cross town rival. There were no umpires and the coaches were taking turns calling balls and strikes from behind the pitcher, each calling for their own defense.

I walked up to the far end of the home side dugout and watched as a coach called a low and outside pitch a strike. I noted to the head coach in the third base box, "You'd have chewed my butt if I called that."

He replied, "No worries. I get to call when we're pitching. Stick around you'll see that one again."
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Having worked in four states and having close friends in at least ten others, I know the term RAT to be common in many areas of the country.
I have found that those who are irresponsible in their treatment of one class of people are typically irresponsible toward several classes of people. The excuse is often parlayed that its locker room talk or that no one really means what they are saying. That is also not true. Insulting and degrading behavior is meant to be exactly that.

No one can change how people treat each other. I would like to think that umpires would be above such childish language, that they would have a higher opinion of themselves and their fellow man. That isn't the reality.

Rat used as you admitted, in a cruel and degrading sense, serves no positive purpose. In the end, it reflects poorly on the user, nothing else. That reflection boils over on all officials which is a reality and a shame concurrently.

In the past, I tried to make light of coaches, players, parents and fans who have asked me about people who use pejorative terms like Rat but I don't anymore. I tell the questioners they have it right. The user is a dunce and I that I intend to separate myself as far as possible from the abuser and the abusive language.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
In the past, I tried to make light of coaches, players, parents and fans who have asked me about people who use pejorative terms like Rat but I don't anymore. I tell the questioners they have it right. The user is a dunce and I that I intend to separate myself as far as possible from the abuser and the abusive language.
In the past you have claimed to be unfamiliar with the term.

In the past you posted a very similar post in the "Smittyisms" thread.

In the past you used a different "moniker" and couldn't hold out for long before you went after your targeted posters and exposed yourself for who you are.

I don't need to wait any longer.

Ta-ta UninterestingUmp. Join your alter-ego, FitUmp, on the ignore list.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
In the past you have claimed to be unfamiliar with the term.
Let's unhook this inaccuracy, my quote is highlighted above.

Quote:
In the past you posted a very similar post in the "Smittyisms" thread.
Use this when you cite.

http://www.shorturl.com/

Quote:
In the past you used a different "moniker" and couldn't hold out for long before you went after your targeted posters and exposed yourself for who you are

I don't need to wait any longer.

Ta-ta UninterestingUmp. Join your alter-ego, FitUmp, on the ignore list.
This is like grade school. Do you have any other fantasies? Did I hear several Ignore List functions being engaged at once? Take 10 and have a smoke with your gang. Stand around and make fun of anyone and everyone, make sure you use demeaning terms like Rat. Enjoy recess!

Last edited by Interested Ump; Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 01:02pm.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't going to jump in however after reading the last few post from Int, I have to! Rats are rats period. Every league has them. There the ones out there trying to bend and cheat the rules to gain an advantage. They yell and scream about balls and strikes, safe and outs, and when they get dumped they use every four letter word in the book directed at you, the umpire for enforcing the rules. And when they go to their precious AD, they once again lie through their teeth. Or worse yet, the AD is on site and fails to disicpline the rat for cussing you up one side and down the other. Some role model! No they're rats. Now as far as being fair. absouletly I know a rat when I hear them, I won't change my calls because of dislike for him. My integrity is far above that. I sure as hell won't have a beer with him anytime, anywhere. Just because of his actions I won't penalize the kids that have no choice but to play for him. They act the way they do because there are those that allow it, so they become emboldened and push it until a real umpire shows up and dumps his a$$ for it, then he's off to the AD crying, I didn't do anything. Or he's on the phone before the next pitch to your assignor, how dare he do this, he doesn't know the rules.. he's looking for trouble, he dumped me for no reason or the all famous he just doesn't like me whine. Yes RATS... and as for those that coach.. I've heard what they say about umpires, it's far worse than Rats!!
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is like grade school. Do you have any other fantasies?
If you are who you claim to be, then you know to what Garth is referring and you know where this is headed. You have the chance to steer clear of that ending.

If you are who Garth claims you are, then you won't be able to change course.
Closed Thread