The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Jrutledge

There IS a point to this thread: Ozzy reminded me to go get another beer.
Thanks Oz............
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Don,

I just read all your plays or examples. None of what was suggested was to call any different than what was called on the Cubs/Reds game.

Once again you do not seem to understand a basic concept.

It is pretty sad if you ask me.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
There IS a point to this thread: Ozzy reminded me to go get another beer.
Thanks Oz............
Anytime -- have one on me!
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Don,

Seeing how you quoted me, I have only one question to ask.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I think you doth had too many beers already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Talking

To the best of my recollection I don't think I've ever said to myself this is an obvious safe/out or ball/strike and then made the "obvious call". The preponderance of the evidence is what I use.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB

2. Please indicate where I gave a personal opinion of what my call would be in my situation that you posted. RIF
I have to say I'm very confused.
If my assumption is wrong it means we are in agreement, that would not be good for you. But if my assumption is correct why would you even be bringing it up?
1. You were responding to my response to this post

Originally Posted by Jim Porter
You have that a bit wrong. The call that's obvious to everyone is the *right* call. The call can't be, "wrong," if it's obvious to everyone. It might not be exactly what you think you saw, but it's most certainly the *right* call

My response
And why praytell would you make a call contrary to what you saw?
That indeed would be a smittyism

I thought it fair to assume you were not in agreement, therefore willing to call an out when you didn't see one.
If my assumption is wrong I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
3. No one's attitude will be changed by a play not comparable to what was originally being discussed..
I do want to apologize to all the proponents of the phantom tag. Since I have not attained the professionalism needed to cheat the offense and reward the defense for an improper tag I must also not be able to properly identify the plays where cheating is allowed. So if this was not a cheatable play I'm sorry. I'll try to have better discernment in the future.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
Don,

Seeing how you quoted me, I have only one question to ask.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I think you doth had too many beers already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just noting my approval to what looks like a trend away from the phantom tag and neighborhood play at the MLB level.
Nothing to get excited about. My approval of the trend has no bearing on your ability to continue the practice.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Just noting my approval to what looks like a trend away from the phantom tag and neighborhood play at the MLB level.
Nothing to get excited about. My approval of the trend has no bearing on your ability to continue the practice.
Don,

Your missing the point.

Whether the "Obvious Call" is the "Right Call" or the "Wrong Call," is totally different then KNOWING when the "Obivious Call", should be the "Right Call."

That is what we are advocating here.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to say I'm very confused.
If my assumption is wrong it means we are in agreement, that would not be good for you. But if my assumption is correct why would you even be bringing it up?
1. You were responding to my response to this post

Originally Posted by Jim Porter
You have that a bit wrong. The call that's obvious to everyone is the *right* call. The call can't be, "wrong," if it's obvious to everyone. It might not be exactly what you think you saw, but it's most certainly the *right* call
You're right, you are very confused. I was not responding to you in any way. I posted a play soliciting comments from the board without stating my call on the situation. That simple.

Quote:
I do want to apologize to all the proponents of the phantom tag. Since I have not attained the professionalism needed to cheat the offense and reward the defense for an improper tag I must also not be able to properly identify the plays where cheating is allowed. So if this was not a cheatable play I'm sorry. I'll try to have better discernment in the future.
Oh, golly, where to begin?

I guess it's best just left at, your posts seem to demonstrate that you are inexperienced at best, or simply clueless.

Oh, and the amusement is starting to wear thin as you show no indication of growth or learning. You really appear as an umpire with one year of experience X times, rather than an umpire with X years of experience.

Do yourself a favor, get some real training.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Aug 19, 2007 at 02:31am.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You remain confused, in denial or uneducated. The play you brought forth had nothing to do with anything you mentioned in the above quote.

1. It was not a phantom tag
2. It was not a neighborhood play,
3. One play, even misunderstood, does not a trend make.
4. Your approval means little.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I think that Don is in need of either some medication or liquid refresment from the local tavern.
I vote for the beer.

Wait were you talkin' to me?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another example last night of MLB umps making the right call instead of the obvious call.

Reds/Cubs game last night, bottom 2. Throw beats Fox to second by at least 6 feet. F4 makes the obligatory dip with the glove but misses the tag. Fox slid straight into the bag, nothing special. SAFE.

Hopefully this attitude will filter down to the amateurs.
Hopefully since this play trickles down to the amateur ranks with the same expectations of an Out call.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Then if that is the point you are trying to make, it is a very bad one.

The only thing most of us have advocated is if the throw clearly beats a runner and there is a decent tag applied along with a slide directly into the tag, we are going to give the benefit of the doubt to the defense. Usually at the amateur level we are not in perfect position to make a call like this (I did see the play BTW) like the Major League Umpire had. Often that call is made from 30 yards away and from a totally different angle that an umpire in the Major Leagues would have. This would not apply if a slide was away from the fielder or was a good effort to avoid the tag. This is quite a different situation from what Don is trying to make. Actually he does not even understand what he is advocating. Not sure you do either Bob.

Peace
The only thing most of us have advocated is if the throw clearly beats a runner and there is a decent tag applied along with a slide directly into the tag, we are going to give the benefit of the doubt to the defense.

THAT'S my point. Too many umpires, and Carl Childress is one, advocate that if the throw beats the runner, and the glove is IN THE VICINITY, call the out. Doesn't matter that there was no tag. Just like the 'phantom' touch at 2B on a double play. I've seen throws taken 3' on the 1B side of 2B, and the out is given.

Usually at the amateur level we are not in perfect position to make a call like this...

Then you're not hustling.

Bob
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
The only thing most of us have advocated is if the throw clearly beats a runner and there is a decent tag applied along with a slide directly into the tag, we are going to give the benefit of the doubt to the defense.
What doubt is there? There is a "decent tag applied along with a slide directly into the tag".