The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Got in trouble for this ejection

I had an ejection last night, 8/14. The 13 year old team third manager was ejected. Here is the situation. Bottom of the sixth starts with 10 minutes left on the time limit. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out. After the count goes 3 balls and no strikes on the batter, with 3 minutes left, the coach calls time out to talk to the batter. I put the ball back into play and he sends the runner from third with no attempt to try to score and then he sends the runner from second to get him tagged out. He says that now we have time to start another inning. I told him he was making a mockery of the game, the game was over, and he is ejected. This was done in accordance with rule 4.15 which reads as follows:

4.15 A game may be forfeited to the opposing team when a team:
(a) Fails to appear upon the field, or being upon the field, refuses to start play within five minutes after the umpire has called "Play" at the appointed hour for beginning the game, unless such delayed appearance is, in the umpire's judgment, unavoidable;
(b) Employs tactics palpably designed to delay or shorten the game;
(c) Refuses to continue play during a game unless the game has been suspended or terminated by the umpire;
(d) Fails to resume play, after a suspension, within one minute after the umpire has called "Play;"
(e) After warning by the umpire, willfully and persistently violates any rules of the game;
(f) Fails to obey within a reasonable time the umpire's order for removal of a player from the game;
(g) Fails to appear for the second game of a doubleheader within twenty minutes after the close of the first game unless the umpire in chief of the first game shall have extended the time of the intermission.

Got into a heap of trouble after the manager called the owners of the complex the game was played who called the President of my umpire association. They said I had no right to stop the game or eject the manager. Any opinions?

Ed H
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhern
I had an ejection last night, 8/14. The 13 year old team third manager was ejected. Here is the situation. Bottom of the sixth starts with 10 minutes left on the time limit. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out. After the count goes 3 balls and no strikes on the batter, with 3 minutes left, the coach calls time out to talk to the batter. I put the ball back into play and he sends the runner from third with no attempt to try to score and then he sends the runner from second to get him tagged out. He says that now we have time to start another inning. I told him he was making a mockery of the game, the game was over, and he is ejected. This was done in accordance with rule 4.15 which reads as follows:

4.15 A game may be forfeited to the opposing team when a team:
(a) Fails to appear upon the field, or being upon the field, refuses to start play within five minutes after the umpire has called "Play" at the appointed hour for beginning the game, unless such delayed appearance is, in the umpire's judgment, unavoidable;
(b) Employs tactics palpably designed to delay or shorten the game;
(c) Refuses to continue play during a game unless the game has been suspended or terminated by the umpire;
(d) Fails to resume play, after a suspension, within one minute after the umpire has called "Play;"
(e) After warning by the umpire, willfully and persistently violates any rules of the game;
(f) Fails to obey within a reasonable time the umpire's order for removal of a player from the game;
(g) Fails to appear for the second game of a doubleheader within twenty minutes after the close of the first game unless the umpire in chief of the first game shall have extended the time of the intermission.

Got into a heap of trouble after the manager called the owners of the complex the game was played who called the President of my umpire association. They said I had no right to stop the game or eject the manager. Any opinions?

Ed H
Under which rule listed do you think "making a mockery of the game" falls under?

A. He did not fail to appear on the field.
B. He did not delay or shorten the game, in fact he "quickly" made it possible to lengthen the game.
C. He did not refuse to continue play.
D. He did not refuse to resume play.
E. He did not willfully and persistently violate the rules.
F. He did not fail to obey an umpires order.
G. He did not fail to appear for the second game of a DH, etc.

I don't get how you could use this rule to end the game and toss the manager. Enlighten me.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Aug 15, 2007 at 10:53pm.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

The game would have ended by time limit rule in 3 minutes, he delayed the end of the game. While we are on the subject enlighten me. Are you contending that managers are within the rules to do things like this, have their batters swing at every pitch to get out on purpose, or throw pitches on a bounce to the plate to walk batters to extend the game or for whatever reason? I've seen posts about these tactics.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The game would have ended by time limit rule in 3 minutes, he delayed the end of the game. While we are on the subject enlighten me. Are you contending that managers are within the rules to do things like this, have their batters swing at every pitch to get out on purpose, or throw pitches on a bounce to the plate to walk batters to extend the game or for whatever reason? I've seen posts about these tactics.
Sorry. I don't believe that is what is meant by delay. Delay refers to the pace of the game in normal lexicon, e.g. excessive timeouts, staying to long at the mound during a conference, holding a batter up excessively before getting into the box, etc. He extended the game, he did not delay it.

I didn't say it wasn't bush, I just believe, as apparently do the others involved, that the action is not covered by the rule you cite.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

in your case ed the defense didnt have to playon the runners--but they did so the results stand! no rules violated here. its like throwing over to firstbase 10,000 times w a runner on--irritating but theres still ACTION/play going on so its not a rules violation!

excesive conferances and stuff thats different.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

OBR doesn't take into consideration a timed game. Unless it's specifically stated on the local/tournament rules, you really don't have a legal leg to stand on.

Did the manager actually protest, or just run to Mommy?
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

What about teams that have there batters get up and swing to get out in order to make a game official due to time limits or daylight issues. I don't necessarily buy the argument. We can discuss the application of the rule that Garth says doesn't reply, but that is not the point. Is there any rule against such obvious tactics that violate the integrity of the game?

A lot of screaming and comments as we walked away, but no official protest before we left the field. BTW, I lost two scheduled games from the President of my association as a penalty.

Last edited by edhern; Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 12:00am.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Ed,
At least for USSSA and Super Series, which do have rules concerning time limits, there is no rule against this. And as I read the situation, the home team was behind or tied, had a great start to their half of the inning, and yet they chose to make outs. Sounds like they wanted to play one more inning of baseball, and the umpire didn't. That's poor customer service, considering the time limit hadn't expired.

Perhaps you confused this situation with one in which a team loses the game intentionally in order to gain an advantage during the rest of a tournament? There are rules against that.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there any rule against such obvious tactics that violate the integrity of the game?
As it applies to your situation, no.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 01:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed
Ed,
At least for USSSA and Super Series, which do have rules concerning time limits, there is no rule against this. And as I read the situation, the home team was behind or tied, had a great start to their half of the inning, and yet they chose to make outs. Sounds like they wanted to play one more inning of baseball, and the umpire didn't. That's poor customer service, considering the time limit hadn't expired.

Perhaps you confused this situation with one in which a team loses the game intentionally in order to gain an advantage during the rest of a tournament? There are rules against that.
Poor customer service? Bah.

I don't work where I'm not in complete control of the clock. That way, when sh!t like this happens, I declare the time limit expired and go to the house. And then remember not to work for places like this.

Trust me, not having to answer to one central assignor is sometimes quite a blessing.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

hell as long as a team is makin a PLAY as defined in the book its ok by me--if thats "BUSHLeageu" thats betwen the teams. i see only a PLAY here (stealin) so whateevr happens i got NO TRAVesty only play ball!

i dont get this MOCkery stuff. what rule is violated? mr Garth is right, you dont have to LIKE it, only ENFORCE it!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SNIPPED
So the manager sent his players into "dead-man plays"? So what? There is no rule against this. So you start another inning - that's what you are being paid for! When the time limit comes to pass you deal with it then and not before! Stop Inventing Rules!

This is why I hate Time Limits in baseball.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

It's illegal to delay in a time limit game. Batters taking extra time to tie their shoes, to ensure the clock runs out... fielders refusing to throw to the pitcher when play has stopped, specifically to run out the clock ... THOSE are illegal.

The OPPOSITE, which is what happened to you, is absolutely not illegal. You may hate it, but it's not. You SHOULD have gotten in trouble.

PS - even in the first case, you simply forfeit - no ejection necessary unless someone crosses the line after the forfeit.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I had an ejection last night, 8/14. The 13 year old team third manager was ejected. Here is the situation. Bottom of the sixth starts with 10 minutes left on the time limit.
Read Rich's response. The Umpires have the Official Clock PERIOD. Whenever shenanigans happen as you describe them do not make a mess of the situation.

At the end of 6 simply say according to our watch Time limit reached = Game Over and Go Home. Let the coach squalk all he wants. If the game no longer resembles what is supposed to be a baseball game then it's time to leave.

Why the HT coach wanted to play an extra inning I do not know but he can do that on his own time not mine.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Read Rich's response. The Umpires have the Official Clock PERIOD. Whenever shenanigans happen as you describe them do not make a mess of the situation.

At the end of 6 simply say according to our watch Time limit reached = Game Over and Go Home. Let the coach squalk all he wants. If the game no longer resembles what is supposed to be a baseball game then it's time to leave.

Why the HT coach wanted to play an extra inning I do not know but he can do that on his own time not mine.

Pete Booth
So it's ok to cheat on the clock, but not elsewhere? Lying about the time is no better than lying about any other call.

West Houston Mike