View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
A poster here claims regarding IR:

"There is simply no reason to slow down an already long game to review calls that umpires get right most of the time. The integrity of the umpires has never been questioned in any serious debate...calls that are missed cut both ways."

I agree with this statement.

Wow, here I thought integrity included as its main ingredient making the best possible effort to be accurate. Not according to him, "IR has no place in baseball".

Are you saying MLB umpires do not make the best possible effort to get it correct??

The real, underlying issue here has only to do with fractured egos, low self-esteem and umpires who are afraid that they will be shown exaclty as they are.

Crappy.

My belief is if you really, honestly believe you are good, then you will welcome review. If not, then hide behind your "integrity" excuse. But how about getting out of the way of umpires who would prefer to reward the game with accuracy and don't have these mountain high, self esteem issues as crutches.
I believe it has been owners that have voted down IR, not umpires. Hell this statement sounds like a coach whining about a rule that we are paid to enforce but they are the ones that voted and added it to the book.