Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Really?

1) Who has the second play in the infield, BU or PU?
2) Who covers third when R2 (only) tags up on a fly? What if it's R1 and R2?

3) If PU goes to third and the ball gets away, who covers home?

4) Who takes BR into second when, with no runners on a ground ball to an infielder is thrown past first?

5) Who takes BR to third on a triple?

6) Where is the delineation between PU and BU on a ground ball down the line toward first (who has the fair / foul call when)?

etc.

And, yes, there are "standard" answers to some or al of thes in almost all areas. Still, their covered in almost every pre-game, even at the college level.
Okay I'm going to try to answer those questions that you posted just to see if I know where I am going.

1) What do you mean by second play in the infield? Second play by an infielder?
2) Depends on where the ball is hit. Ball pulling left or right fielder to the line- base ump watches the tag up and takes the runner to third. Ball not pulling them to the line- plate ump takes the runner to third, and base ump covers home.
4) Plate umpire. This is actually something I should go over with my plate partners, because often I find myself behind the baseline after an overthrow because I was positioning myself for a grounder.
5) Base umpire. I have a lot of partners that want to look fancy, so they take the play at third, but I prefer to keep it simple.
6) Plate ump has all fair/foul calls, unless the base umpire stays out with nobody on, then he makes the fair/foul call and the plate umpire leaves home plate to the third base side and takes any play at second or third. Base umpire runs his *** all the way back to home to make the call at the plate if the batter tries for an inside the park homer.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Okay I'm going to try to answer those questions that you posted just to see if I know where I am going.

Quote:
4) Plate umpire. This is actually something I should go over with my plate partners, because often I find myself behind the baseline after an overthrow because I was positioning myself for a grounder.
5) Base umpire. I have a lot of partners that want to look fancy, so they take the play at third, but I prefer to keep it simple.
6) Plate ump has all fair/foul calls, unless the base umpire stays out with nobody on, then he makes the fair/foul call and the plate umpire leaves home plate to the third base side and takes any play at second or third. Base umpire runs his *** all the way back to home to make the call at the plate if the batter tries for an inside the park homer.
Reread this and honestly think whether you need to have a pregame or not. I would say you have missed something in number 6. You yourself point out in #5 that some umpires "like to look fancy". Seems as though that should be discussed in the pregame as well. #4 you admit to yourself that you should be going over things with your partner.

Seems to me there is a very good point of having a pregame meeting with you or any partner I'd have, because these are things we need to work out before we step on the field.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Canadaump6, I think you missed the point of Bob's post. He wasn't quizzing YOU to test your knowledge, he was bringing out some situations that might occur in 2 man that can be butchered if both partners are out of synch.

"Okay I'm going to try to answer those questions that you posted just to see if I know where I am going." It really doesn't matter where you are going, where is your partner going?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2) Depends on where the ball is hit. Ball pulling left or right fielder to the line- base ump watches the tag up and takes the runner to third. Ball not pulling them to the line- plate ump takes the runner to third, and base ump covers home.
Good enough answers, but at least 4 and 5 require discussion, and some parts of the others are "different" from how I would do them. So, if we were working together, then we'd better have a pregame so we know how these things are being covered. That's the point.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sad commentary. Just goes to show what no pre-game will do for you.
Closed Thread