The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Over many threads I have read about getting calls right and getting together to discuss and so on .
Now I have no problem that with a 2 man team that if there has been a big call stay apart between innings .
What about other calls..... check swing open call
Now what if you the coach thinks you might have had an INT or OBS should we be open or get together in secret .
I have used both methods and find the open question meets with acceptance more so than the quiet discussion .
I am talking short questions not long debates .

ie " Dave did you have an INT on that play ?"
ANSWER " No Bob I did not "

Now I want advice and informative debate not dictatorial directions .
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

As a general rule, I prefer a closed conversation when we review a situation that isn't clear cut or black and white. Was that a swing, did she pull her foot, did you see a tag, etc., these are open questions that can and should be done quickly and openly; you are giving up that call if your partner, by virtue of a better angle, saw the piece you are missing. But, obstruction, interference, issues which require rule interpretation in addition to your observation, these are not calls you are giving up; you are asking only for more information prior to deciding if YOU will change YOUR call. Those should be, IMO, private conversations and discussions.

Not sure I could direct nor dictate; this is what I believe is most appropriate.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with my namesake in Atlanta. If it is a question that can be resolved with a simple "yes" or "no", then it's simple & quick and may be open. If it is one that requires a discussion amongst partners, it must be private.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to have all conversations (save a check swing appeal or something of the like) in private. I just think it allows umpires to put their heads together and answer the question/solve the problem without holding a conversation for the world to hear.

If coach wants an explanation, then we provide him with one.

Had a partner once change a check swing call from yes to no to yes based on who yelled the loudest from the dugout/coaches box.

Needless to say that the rest of the game wasn't a lot of fun.