The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Education (Books)

I'm looking to pick up some of the manuals that PBUC and other development people use to try to familiarize myself with pro mechanics and what is expected at those levels. Someone in another thread mentioned the GD site, so I was wondering which of their products you guys think would be most beneficial for me to read. Here's what they have that I'm looking at:

More Than 100 Problems With the Official Baseball Rules

PBUC Umpire Manual

Manual for the Two-Umpire System (The RED Book)

Any of you guys have a preference for which would help me the most?

TIA.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
I'm looking to pick up some of the manuals that PBUC and other development people use to try to familiarize myself with pro mechanics and what is expected at those levels. Someone in another thread mentioned the GD site, so I was wondering which of their products you guys think would be most beneficial for me to read. Here's what they have that I'm looking at:

More Than 100 Problems With the Official Baseball Rules

PBUC Umpire Manual

Manual for the Two-Umpire System (The RED Book)

Any of you guys have a preference for which would help me the most?

TIA.
PBUC Umpire Manual covers 3 and 4 man mechanics but not 2 man. It also has a lot of interpretations not found in the rule book. The Red Book thoroughly covers two man.

More than 100 Problems is about rules not mechanics so if you are interested in mechanics stick to the other two.

Another excellent mechanics manual, almost entirely devoted to mechanics, is the CCA Umpires Manual. It covers, 2, 3, 4, and 6 man mechanics.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
PBUC Umpire Manual covers 3 and 4 man mechanics but not 2 man. It also has a lot of interpretations not found in the rule book. The Red Book thoroughly covers two man.

More than 100 Problems is about rules not mechanics so if you are interested in mechanics stick to the other two.

Another excellent mechanics manual, almost entirely devoted to mechanics, is the CCA Umpires Manual. It covers, 2, 3, 4, and 6 man mechanics.
The CCA Manual is on there also, but it deals with Collegiate mechanics- right? Or is it Pro stuff and I read it wrong?
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The CCA Manual is on there also, but it deals with Collegiate mechanics- right? Or is it Pro stuff and I read it wrong?
College mechanics, but lots of good detail.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 10:03pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
I'm looking to pick up some of the manuals that PBUC and other development people use to try to familiarize myself with pro mechanics and what is expected at those levels.
Are you planning on going Pro?
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Are you planning on going Pro?
I'm planning on going to one of the schools, probably in 2010 after I've graduated from college.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:40am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
I'm planning on going to one of the schools, probably in 2010 after I've graduated from college.
Good luck to you. Read my new post on the realities of pro umpiring. I would also suggest that you get counsel from previous MiLB umpires who have been down your future path.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Good luck to you. Read my new post on the realities of pro umpiring. I would also suggest that you get counsel from previous MiLB umpires who have been down your future path.
Hey, you forgot the part about better be a straight single white male under 25.

Because reading fitump's posts are definitely the road to better umpiring knowledge.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:07am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas

Because reading fitump's posts are definitely the road to better umpiring knowledge.
Thanks!
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Hmmmmm....
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In that case...if you're concerned about mechanics...get the Red Book...I didn't spend a day studying 3, 4 or 6 man mechanics at umpire school. You need to MASTER the two man mechanics as they (PBUC) wants them done.

It can be a tedious book...but it will be your mechanics bible for the first 3 or 4 years of your MiLB career...should you get a job. You'll pick up 3 & 4 man mechanics as you progress in your career from: the PBUC manual, working spring training games with more experienced guys and from your AA and AAA crew chiefs.