The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 119
OBS - Always safe?

BR hits ball down the first base line. As F1 runs over to see if he can field the ball and after the ball passes him going towards F3, he runs into BR. This happens at the same time that F3 is fielding the ball right by the base. Without the OBS , the batter would clearly be out.

Am I correct that BR is still safe in all codes? Or does the umpire take into account that he would have been out if OBS had not occurred? I read the definition of OBS and the rules regarding OBS in the OBR book and it never addresses the "obviously out" situation so I assume that he's alway safe.

Correct?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 711
Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
BR hits ball down the first base line. As F1 runs over to see if he can field the ball and after the ball passes him going towards F3, he runs into BR. This happens at the same time that F3 is fielding the ball right by the base. Without the OBS , the batter would clearly be out.

Am I correct that BR is still safe in all codes? Or does the umpire take into account that he would have been out if OBS had not occurred? I read the definition of OBS and the rules regarding OBS in the OBR book and it never addresses the "obviously out" situation so I assume that he's alway safe.

Correct?
Under the OBR, your situation is Type A (7.06a) obstruction.
Quote:
if the batterrunner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction.
__________________
Jim Porter
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30
No...

although 7.06 a) says that the BR should be awarded 1st base, this is not the proper interpretation. If this is OBR w eare talking about, then the BR would be declared out, and the obstruction disregarded.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanStanza
although 7.06 a) says that the BR should be awarded 1st base, this is not the proper interpretation. If this is OBR w eare talking about, then the BR would be declared out, and the obstruction disregarded.

It's flat out type a obstruction and the batter gets first. You only ignore it if it involves a batted ball caught.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 07:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
It's flat out type a obstruction and the batter gets first. You only ignore it if it involves a batted ball caught.
That's right. Doesn't matter that, in your judgment, the defense would have had an out without the obstruction.

The award is the penalty for the obstruction, not (as in type b obstruction) a judgment about where they would have ended up without the obstruction.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanStanza
although 7.06 a) says that the BR should be awarded 1st base, this is not the proper interpretation. If this is OBR w eare talking about, then the BR would be declared out, and the obstruction disregarded.
Reference, please, because this is contrary to the ruling that most experienced posters on this board would give.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safe or out kab9 Softball 12 Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:56am
Out or safe? JRSooner Baseball 5 Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:24am
safe/out...again! chuckfan1 Baseball 4 Mon Dec 16, 2002 06:14pm
Safe or Out? HawkandDove3B Softball 7 Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:48pm
Out or Safe? Huskerblue Baseball 15 Wed Jun 05, 2002 03:34pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1