The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Again, this was not retaliation for Soriano's little home run dance the day before.
It wasn't until Lee walked toward the mound and spouted off did Young understandably say something back to Lee. He shouldn't have to apologize (when do they ever do that? ) Had Lee done what he was supposed to do, which is go directly to first base, then none of what happened would have.
1. Soriano dances
2. Peavy and other pitchers issue veiled threats
3. Cubs best hitter gets a high hard one directed to the head
4. Lee takes exception
5. Young smarts off and tells Lee to get his ### to first
6. Brawl ensues
7. Peavy gets right in the middle of the action

You could blame it on Soriano, but since it's in his home park it's harder to make a reasonable argument that he was showing up the visiting team.

You could blame it on Peavy and his crew for 1. being so sensitive and 2. publicly announcing a need for retaliation.

You could blame it on Young, intentional or not, for putting one at Lee's head and seemingly following through with what the Leader of the pitching staff publicly announced.

Or you could blame it on Young for being a smart a##.

You could blame the HP umpire for daydreaming

Lee was the only one with out a dog in the fight until Young threw at him.

Blame it on Lee if you like, but I think there's plenty of of culpability to go around.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:11pm

Get hit with baseball. Go to first. Go directly to first. Do not GO to the mound. Do not collect $200,000,000 contracts.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Let me see if I understand this correctly.
Nope,...that's a swing and a miss. You apparently have trouble reading. In fact, you are 25 posts too late in your wrong assessment. In post #13 of this thread I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
I appreciate the replies and agree that I should have given a warning sooner - probably after the second occurance, perhaps after the first, in spite of the fact that I'm certain they weren't throwing at him intentionally. And that was the real point of my enquiry: If I didn't think they were intentionally throwing at the batter should I still give a warning?
Quote:
The title of this thread is Critique Please

CraigD explains in pretty good detail a situation he had in an adult league game. Seemingly, he would like to be critiqued on the way he handled the situation.

Many critiques are given, and most are along the lines of, "You should have warned or ejected soon. You let the situation go too far."
Oops, another swing and miss. I'm pretty sure the quote above indicates that I did receive the critiques you mentioned.

Quote:
Then CraigD defends his actions to the nth degree.
Oh no, another swing and miss. That's okay, son. Go take your seat on the end of the bench and watch the other kids play.

I didn't defend my actions at all, much less to the "nth degree." It makes me wonder if you can read.

The thread went in a completely different direction than my original question. Some questioned my grasp of reality because I believe the HBP's were not intentional. I wasn't enquiring if anyone else thought they were intentional. The point of my enquiry was whether I should have responded sooner IF I thought they weren't intentional.

The thread went farther off target with a discussion of the legal ramifications of using a bat to threaten or harm someone else before it went even farther off target with the discussion of the Cubs/Padres fight.

Quote:
Me thinks he wanted verification, not an honest critique. I've seen that kind of umpire before.
Sorry, but you blu this one, Mr. 40.

I accepted the critique 25 posts ago, but thanks for playing anyway.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get hit with baseball. Go to first. Go directly to first. Do not GO to the mound. Do not collect $200,000,000 contracts.
I was going to say the same about Peavy's comments
Give up a homer to the opposition-deal with the dancing

Throwing at someones head potentially endangers their livelihood.
Lee was the only on in this whole scenario with a right to be p@@@@@ off.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:48pm

Well, I see there is no reasoning with you about this, so I am done. You are going to spin this your way because you must be a Cubs fan. I don't believe that Young was trying to hit Lee. That is my position. You can tell a lot by a pitchers initial reaction, and Young clearly was not throwing at Lee. If you look at Lilly's initial reaction after hitting Renteria, you can tell there was no regret whatsoever.

Young, on the other hand, was upset that he had hit a batter. It was in the fourth inning, a 0-0 score, and he had not allowed a base runner. Do you realize what a perfecto or a no-no would mean to the city of San Diego? They have not had one in their 38 year history.

Young wants nothing more than to be the first Padre with a no-hitter or perfect game. He wasn't going to jeopardize this for a stupid retaliation, I don't care what veiled threat Peavy allegedly made. Peavy is a hot-head like Zambrano. Chris Young is actually a very level headed young man with a boat load of class.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:53pm

CraigD, sorry about the thread hijack. It's just easier than starting a new thread. Hope you don't mind too much.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I see there is no reasoning with you about this, so I am done. You are going to spin this your way because you must be a Cubs fan.
To be fair, SDS, in a prior post in this thread you did write,

"Our starter gets run" (emphasis added). (You did not write "San Diego's starter gets run" or "The Padres' starter gets run". You used "our..."

While I'm not trying to get in the middle of this discussion back-and-forth, can it be that TWO posters are seeing this incident through lenses tinted with their team's colors, rather than with their umpire's lenses?
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 03:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
To be fair, SDS, in a prior post in this thread you did write,

"Our starter gets run" (emphasis added). (You did not write "San Diego's starter gets run" or "The Padres' starter gets run". You used "our..."

While I'm not trying to get in the middle of this discussion back-and-forth, can it be that TWO posters are seeing this incident through lenses tinted with their team's colors, rather than with their umpire's lenses?
Absolutely. My glasses are tinted a bit blue and sand. But I do feel objectively that Young was genuinely upset that he had hit a batter for the game's first baserunner.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolutely. My glasses are tinted a bit blue and sand. But I do feel objectively that Young was genuinely upset that he had hit a batter for the game's first baserunner.
I'm glad you admit it, seriously. You should be commended.

Better "blue and sand" than those horrible camo's they where once a year. (And, yes, I know why they wear them, my brother did his military training in your neck of the woods.)
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Shooting Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
I didn't defend my actions at all, much less to the "nth degree." It makes me wonder if you can read.

The thread went in a completely different direction than my original question. Some questioned my grasp of reality because I believe the HBP's were not intentional. I wasn't enquiring if anyone else thought they were intentional. The point of my enquiry was whether I should have responded sooner IF I thought they weren't intentional.

The thread went farther off target with a discussion of the legal ramifications of using a bat to threaten or harm someone else before it went even farther off target with the discussion of the Cubs/Padres fight.
It's hard to gain an understanding of a situation and we often write HTBT for had to be there. We discussed your issues from our own interest, POV and experience. From what I read, you seperated the individuals after each HBP. This was the reason the Cubs/Padres fight came into the discussion. We continued to discuss the Cubs/Padres retaliation because we thought it was a proper. Did you missed the compliment for preventing a MLB style brawl?

Everyone agrees that the one game suspension was a light "punishement" for the individual making the threats to harm somneone else. The other team also agreed and thought it was fair and justifiable to continue to hit this guy another 3 times the next game. The person involved decided he merited such punishement/humiliation that he also failed to move out of the way 3 times. I think he has proven that he is no longer a threat to anyone and nothing further should take place.

Notice that I did not discuss your original point of inquiry. It is difficult to answer because I cannot answer the question for you. You must use or reject whatever "good advice" you choose. Another person, Mr. Jenkins, did answer your question. His posts are highly regarded in these parts and it is often hard to ignore his advice. The rest of us, myself included, enjoy the twists and turns attached in each thread. I feel they give "life" to a very boring 1 type of scenario/1 correct answer type of dialogue. It keeps the site from going stale. JMOHO.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 03:31pm.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Just so SDS knows, Marcus Giles was the only Padre who had his head on straight.
More should be said about the type of player he has proven himself to be.
Perhaps, never a HOF 2B candidate, that was one HOF performance.

As much of a character as Carlos Z is with the Cubs, I read he was in the locker room adjusting his jock during the melee.
Clearly, one of the Padres would have felt something very deserving had he been ejected from the game.
I said to myself, while watching this incident, "damn, Giles might have just prevented F1 from getting seriously hurt." Giles did a great job eliminating any chance of his F1 getting injured after the initial blows happened. Why is it after this incident I have it in my mind that Giles is a future coach/manager?
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I see there is no reasoning with you about this,
In other words if I don't see it your way I'm unreasonable. I understand, I feel the same way

Quote:
so I am done. You are going to spin this your way because you must be a Cubs fan.
I'm glad you're done because it's getting harder and harder to get in the last word
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
In other words if I don't see it your way I'm unreasonable. I understand, I feel the same way

I'm glad you're done because it's getting harder and harder to get in the last word
Well, it was nice to see that the front office found Young just as complicit as Lee in this fray. 5 games for both........

Tim.