The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Frustration with critique

This is a venting post. It serves no other purpose. If you don't like to read other people's b!tching, avert your eyes now.

Last night I'm working the dish with my assignor, who also happens to be the guy locally who recommends you to the JUCO/small college evaluators around here. He doesn't evaluate himself, but he's like the local mafia boss who tells the big Don to have a look.

So, game's over, we're doing the post game and I ask- "Tell me what I need to do different."

Answer: "Don't put your indicator in your ball bag after every pitch. It makes you look fidgety."

Of course, I was cliniced five years ago or so to start putting my clicker in my ball bag after every pitch. I am used to it now and I like it- I think it keeps me in the game better and keeps me from scarring up my mask with the indicator.

No, I can't work without one. I'll lose pitches.

And I know, if I want to do the next level around here, I have to do what makes these guys happy.

It still frustrates me.

Ok, done now.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

This seems odd to me. What is the advantage of placing your indicator in your ball bag after every pitch? To me it seems like it wastes time. (I guess that you use 2 ball bags and place the indicator in your left bag). I do not want to re-start the "old" topic of not using an indicator (great for those who are "good" enough to not use one-even though I see MLB PU's using one) as I always use an indicator. To me, your habit would also seem "fidgety". I use a plastic indicator and don't seem to "scar" my mask.
Maybe you need to listen to the "big Don" to obtain your desired umpire advancement.
Anywhy JMO.
Good fortune in your quest.
Sam

Last edited by U of M Sam; Wed May 31, 2006 at 08:36pm.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

If the only fault he could find is that you put your indicator in your ball bag between pitches, things are going pretty well for you. If he didn't have any mechanics or judgement critiques, maybe he will recommend you for the next level. Best of luck.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of M Sam
I do not want to re-start the "old" topic of not using an indicator (great for those who are "good" enough to not use one-even though I see MLB PU's using one)
that topic is about BUs, not PUs.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
Fair enough. I obtained clarity as I viewed "old" posts.
Sam
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
There have been quite a few topics about not using an indicator as PU.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
This is a venting post. It serves no other purpose. If you don't like to read other people's b!tching, avert your eyes now.

Last night I'm working the dish with my assignor, who also happens to be the guy locally who recommends you to the JUCO/small college evaluators around here. He doesn't evaluate himself, but he's like the local mafia boss who tells the big Don to have a look.

So, game's over, we're doing the post game and I ask- "Tell me what I need to do different."

Answer: "Don't put your indicator in your ball bag after every pitch. It makes you look fidgety."

Of course, I was cliniced five years ago or so to start putting my clicker in my ball bag after every pitch. I am used to it now and I like it- I think it keeps me in the game better and keeps me from scarring up my mask with the indicator.

No, I can't work without one. I'll lose pitches.

And I know, if I want to do the next level around here, I have to do what makes these guys happy.

It still frustrates me.

Ok, done now.

Strikes and outs!
At what kind of clinic were you told to put your indicator in your ball bag between pitches?

I can imagine it might make one look, oh, how could I put it....."fidgety."

Listen to the assignor.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
At what kind of clinic were you told to put your indicator in your ball bag between pitches?

I can imagine it might make one look, oh, how could I put it....."fidgety."

Listen to the assignor.

Agree with Garth here- i don't know who told you to put it in your ball bag after every pitch...
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Of course, I was cliniced five years ago or so to start putting my clicker in my ball bag after every pitch.
I can't work the plate without an indicator either, but it never leaves my left hand. And I try very hard not to look at it but occassionaly I will.

I have never seen a PU put the indicator in the bag after every pitch, so although this might seem like no big deal to you, anything that nobody else does is a big deal, to the assignor.

Keep the indicator in your left hand and forget what you were taught.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:31am

I too try not to look at my indicator. When I really need to, I pretend to be adjusting the chin on my HSM!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I agree...Don't put your indicator in your bag or pocket between pitches.

Either use it, or lose it.

There are a couple of guys in my association who do the same thing. Really looks like you don't know what to do with it.

If you must keep your hand empty, then just reach in, and click it. But don't take it out unless you really need to see it.

Nick
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I don't remember- it was five years ago. What I do remember is (a) I started my career with the clicker constantly in my left hand and (b) thinking how wierd it was to make that particular change.

But you (or at least I) get that all the time when I work with guys who are at the next level. On stuff I would consider to be cosmetic, every really good umpire has his own nuances.

Again- it was a venting post.

Strikes and outs!
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 06:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't remember- it was five years ago. What I do remember is (a) I started my career with the clicker constantly in my left hand and (b) thinking how wierd it was to make that particular change.

But you (or at least I) get that all the time when I work with guys who are at the next level. On stuff I would consider to be cosmetic, every really good umpire has his own nuances.

Again- it was a venting post.

Strikes and outs!
Blue,

The reality it when you get to the next level, there are guys who can already umpire or officiate well. It is not the big things that hold them back. It is the little things. This is a little thing, but can be noticeable and look bad. Either use the indicator and hold on to it or decide you cannot use it. If your assignor is telling you this, there is a good reason. You do not have to agree with it. But if he assigns you games he has some influence in what you work and why. He might even have influence if you get to other levels as well. If you are satisfied with where you are do not listen to him. If you want to move up and get better opportunities, listen to him. It really is all about choices.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

First, this kind of stuff is too minor to hammer someone about. Indicator or no, in the ball bal or not, whats the big deal? As long as your not sticking it up into your grill all the time, use it as you wish. Does this bother some of you guys that much?
Couple years ago I worked with a guy who put the indicator in his ball bag. Was very smooth with it. I decided to try it.
I keep it in the small pocket in my left ball bag. Leaves my hand free, especially using the GD stance, keeps my hands free.
Ive done it long enough now that I do it very seamless, and you cant tell that I do it. It doesnt look fidgety, whatever that means.
I just reach in and "click". I rarely take it out to "look" at it. If I do, I do the ole 'adjust-my-mask-with-indicator-in-palm-and-take-a-quick-peek trick'.
But agreed, if you cant do it without a lot of gyrations, maybe not for you.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I hold my indicator with my ring and middle finger, and grasp my mask with my thumb, forefinger and pinky. No marks on any of my masks. Hmmmmm.