The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Coaching Comedics

JR12's post gave me an idea. It's raining here in Cleveland (and I'm bored).

What kinds of comments have you heard from coaches during games that just made you stop and laugh? (We all know the morons and what they, but now and then a well-done quip just works well - and just might keep the offeror from being tossed!)
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Manager yells, "FOUL, OUT OF PLAY".
(In fact, it was but he was louder than me.)

Head Coach yells at the Manager, "YOU WANT TO LET BLUE CALL THAT MARK?"

Me=laughing.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I had thrown my hands up about to yell BALK when I hear, MUCH louder than I would have called this one, "THAT's a BALK!!!!!" come from the dugout. After a heartbeat, I realize it was the defensive coach. I restrain the laughter and simply say, "Yes it was," and point at 3rd (there was an R2). His own parents/fans gave him enough that I didn't need to. I'm cleaning the plate to get my laughter under control and F2 says, very softly, "Yeah - he's excitable that way."
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

"Time!"

"Hey, that's the best call you've made all night"
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Batter fouls the ball of the plate, under the catcher who had stood up and up into a rather a rather painful meeting with a delicate part of my anatomy (yes I was wearing a jock and it still hurt).

After a minute or so while I get my breath back the D coach comes out of the dugout and yells "Hey ump was that a strike or a baaaallllllllll!"

F2 and the Batter sure thought that was funny.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxt127
Batter fouls the ball of the plate, under the catcher who had stood up and up into a rather a rather painful meeting with a delicate part of my anatomy (yes I was wearing a jock and it still hurt).
the trick is to put a cup inside the jock, then it won't hurt so much next time
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Once had a catcher get so frustrated with his pitcher who was having a heck of a time throwing strikes that he yelled, "Come on Tim, put it right in my glove! I'm the one squatting down in front of the umpire!"

I had to call time to clear my eyes because I was crying from laughing. The coach took the time to talk to the catcher about using only positive comments.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I don't specifically have a moment where a coach said something funny...but I did have a moment where a coach did something that made me laugh at a player...for hours.

Plate meeting (MiLB spring training game...played on a cloverleaf field):

Head coach: "All I want you to do is call strikes. If you call strikes I'll say nothing. If any of my players complain about a strike, I'll take care of it, they'll be running on the other field for the rest of the day."

Me (rookie MiLB umpire): "o.k."

Later in the game (sixth inning):

Me: "Strike Three!"
Player: "That's bullsh!t. You're F&*%in horrible!"
Head coach (running from third base coach's box): "Don't you dare say anything. You ain't here to learn how to walk. Your mother taught you how to do that when you were two. You are here to learn how to hit. Get the G.D. bat off your shoulder. Joe (the assistant coach) take him over there, now!"

Sure enough, between every half inning for the rest of the game I could see the player running windsprints on the adjoining field. First and only time in my life where a head coach ejected his own player before I could!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Me: "Strike Three!"
Player: "That's bullsh!t. You're F&*%in horrible!"
Head coach (running from third base coach's box): "Don't you dare say anything. You ain't here to learn how to walk. Your mother taught you how to do that when you were two. You are here to learn how to hit. Get the G.D. bat off your shoulder. Joe (the assistant coach) take him over there, now!"
Player says that to me, I don't care what the coach says. He's gone for the day!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Anytime a coach starts opening their mouth and talking about a rule it is funny (to me at least).

Peace
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Player says that to me, I don't care what the coach says. He's gone for the day!
Oh, I agree. But you have to understand MiLB spring training. There are no fines, suspensions etc., unless the ejection was truly outrageous and the PBUC had to get involved and complain to the NAPBL offices. There are also 0 fans in attendance.

It is pretty laid back for the most part. In this case I might have told the coach "he's ejected" after he sent the player over to the other field...but it didn't matter. He was done for the day, period.

Regular season: I toss him in addition to the coach removing him because the player will be fined/suspended by the league President, etc.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Anytime a coach starts opening their mouth and talking about a rule it is funny (to me at least).

Peace
Now you got me laughing.

Off to the ballfield, and I'll chuckle inside when the manager wants to talk rules with me.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
Now THAT is funny.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

This one wasn't a coach but another ump in a 14 yr old house league game I was watching today. In the 5th inning of a 4-0 game home team starts putting in pitchers that have clearly never pitched before. half an hour later it's 25-0 and the young home plate ump is still calling a 7th game of the World Series strike zone. Veteran BU is leaving him alone for the "learning experience". It is also getting dark and quite chilly.

Finally F2 throws to F5 on a steal. Runner was safe by ten minutes but BU rings him up, then after the game we're talking and BU is shaking his head about PU and adds "as long as F5 held on to the ball I was calling that out. Heck, if he dropped the ball I'd still call him out!"

My kind of umpire!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
I'd taken some pretty good shots with that cup when I was playing Goalie in hockey.

Mind you years and years ago I was coaching 1st base. F1 tries the pickoff I yell back and look at the runner. Throw was pretty bad and I got hit there too. Learned my lesson that even 1st base coaches need to wear one lol.