The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Question Infield Fly?

Okay - so I thought I was finally starting to understand the IFF rule, but I was confused by a situation in today's Mets-Tigers game.

1 out, runner on 1st, when the batter hits a pop fly to fair territory right in the vicinity of 1st base. F4 comes over to field the ball, but he doesn't make the catch. F4 throws to F3 (who's on the bag), but the throw is late and the BR reaches first safely. F3 then throws to F6 (who's covering second) and forces out a very confused R1.

I thought that the BR would be out on an infield fly, and R1 would have to be tagged to be put out. Did anyone see the play? Alternatively, can anyone correct my misunderstanding of the rules?
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Okay - so I thought I was finally starting to understand the IFF rule, but I was confused by a situation in today's Mets-Tigers game.

1 out, runner on 1st, when the batter hits a pop fly to fair territory right in the vicinity of 1st base. F4 comes over to field the ball, but he doesn't make the catch. F4 throws to F3 (who's on the bag), but the throw is late and the BR reaches first safely. F3 then throws to F6 (who's covering second) and forces out a very confused R1.

I thought that the BR would be out on an infield fly, and R1 would have to be tagged to be put out. Did anyone see the play? Alternatively, can anyone correct my misunderstanding of the rules?
If there was only R1, it was not an infield fly. IFF requires less than two outs and R1, R2 or R1, R2, R3.

From OBR 2.00 An INFIELD FLY

is a fair ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. if the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball, if the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. if a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Jun 10, 2007 at 12:28am.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Infield Fly rule is in effect when first base AND second base are occupied with less than two outs.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Not the IFF Rule Situation

Quote:

1 out, runner on 1st, ...
You need a runner at 1st and another runner at 2nd (at least) to trigger the IFF Rule.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 01:09am
Archaic Power Monger

Just to pile on...you need at least a runner on first and a runner on second (or the bases loaded) with less than two out for the in field fly rule to be in effect.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

how many runners do you need? Just want to be clear on this.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I think I got it. Thanks.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 05:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Two, maybe three but never none nor one.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Two, maybe three but never none nor one.
Almost there...could you go over it one more time?
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 05:28pm

Quote:
Almost there...could you go over it one more time?
If Who's on first, and What's on second, but not if Who's on first without What on second or What on second and I Don't Know on third. Now if Who's on first, What's on second, and I Don't Know's on third, with one or none out, then it is a possible IFF situation.

On a side note, is Rick Reed always horrible behind the plate, or just today?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't it be called the "Infielder's Fly Rule"?
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Shouldn't it be called the "Infielder's Fly Rule"?
No. That's more like a "SHOE CHECK!" in a Little League game. Only different gear.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Steve, to answer your question, YES!!

I'm just curious, Mark Dexter. You have been registered here since 1999, and have posted 4,160 times, but not in the baseball forum, correct? And you are not an umpire, right?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Steve, to answer your question, YES!!

I'm just curious, Mark Dexter. You have been registered here since 1999, and have posted 4,160 times, but not in the baseball forum, correct? And you are not an umpire, right?
I'm a basketball and football official who lurks (and occasionally posts) over here on the baseball board. The only umpiring I've done is when I've been asked to be a BU at some of my brothers' LL games (and before anyone says anything, I do NOT wear a ball bag when I do so!).
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I am not a baseball ump either, (fb and bb) but I witnessed a similar situation this past weekend where there was an IFF called. The bases were loaded and the infield was drawn in, so on the hit they had to retreat a bit to catch the ball, but i thought it was clearly an IFF situation. The base ump signaled IFF, but no one in the stands heard him call it audibly. Do you usually holler IFF? Do you have to yell it loud enough that they hear you in the concession stand? I thought it appeared he handled it properly, but he sure caught hell from the gathered rules experts in the bleachers.