Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
To mcrowder:
Quote:
No. Don't "establish your position at the pre-game". Why begin with negativity at all. See thread on Plate Conferences sometime recently in the softball forum.

First of all, know what you are criticizing before you criticize it. When I establish my position at the pregame, I am expected by the league to reiterate two items. One is sportsmanship. The other is profanity - we have zero tolerance in this league. So the statement is this - "there is zero tolerance on profanity - if I hear it, they're gone, and I don't want any complaints about warnings - there are none". So far, every single coach has never questioned it, and they agree 100%. As a result in this league so far this year there have been ZERO ejections. I am not beginning with negativity at all. What I am doing is this - giving them a heads up - the coaches know if one of their players gets tossed for swearing - they will not be coming to me to say "where's the warning" or "isn't there a warning". They will know the kid tossed himself.

To ozzy - do yourself a favor - go back on your medication, stop listening to the voices in your head, and re-read your FED rule and case book on pregame conferences, because that's what FED still calls them. See references below. You can call it whatever you want, you just can't call me wrong.

Ref: 2-10-2
ART. 2... A pregame conference is a meeting involving the umpires, both head coaches and team captains (if available) near home plate. The meeting should begin approximately five minutes prior to the game. The purpose of the pregame conference is to exchange and check each team's lineup cards and to discuss ground rules. Umpires also shall ask the head coaches of the two opposing teams if their players are legally and properly equipped. In addition, the expectation of good sporting behavior is shared with both teams and representatives (4-1-3a). Both teams shall remain in their dugout (bench) or bullpen area until this meeting has concluded.

Case book references:
1.1.2a
1.5.8g
10.1.7c
Sorry Garth, did you say something?
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 10:13am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Just out of curiosity

Which ejections does the coach think he CAN help out on?
Slip of the tongue, so to speak.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 10:31am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
People, people, people.

What good does it do one to dump BG in the ignore closet if you all keep quoting him?

Thanks for your consideration of this matter.
What did I ever say to you to deserve this comment? Several of you guys are doing your best to read a whole lot more into my posts than is there and at the same time rip me for it. I'm not trying to be a harda$$ about anything. Some of these coaches I know very well. All it takes is one I haven't had, I don't make the statement, one of his kids drops the f-bomb, I toss, and then the coach says "what about a warning?" One of the reasons I do this is my second game last year, I toss a kid for yelling at his catcher "why don't you throw me the da** ball" loud enough to be heard by both benches. Then the coach comes out and starts with "isn't there a warning?" He shoots his mouth off one extra time so I toss him too.

All I've done is head off any potential situation on this one issue only. If this makes me a harda$$, or confrontational, or negative, so be it. BTW, it has served it's purpose - no ejections, and no foul language from any coach or spectator.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:33pm

Quote:
Some of these coaches I know very well. All it takes is one I haven't had, I don't make the statement, one of his kids drops the f-bomb, I toss, and then the coach says "what about a warning?" One of the reasons I do this is my second game last year, I toss a kid for yelling at his catcher "why don't you throw me the da** ball" loud enough to be heard by both benches.
First, if there is this so-called "zero tolerance" policy concerning swearing in your league, everyone already knows the rule, and thus should not require any statement reminding them.

Second, while no warning is ever necessary to eject a player for swearing, don't you think the word "damn" is pretty damn tame? You said if one of the kids drops an f-bomb. Well, that's a far cry from "damn."

Quote:
Then the coach comes out and starts with "isn't there a warning?" He shoots his mouth off one extra time so I toss him too.
If I were the coach, I would have questioned throwing a kid out for saying (or even screaming) the word "damn."

The words "damn" or "hell" are not considered vulgarities, but the f-word most certainly is. Notice how damn and hell get past the very sensitive censor on this website, which catches the really bad words every time.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 05:08pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
First, if there is this so-called "zero tolerance" policy concerning swearing in your league, everyone already knows the rule, and thus should not require any statement reminding them.

Second, while no warning is ever necessary to eject a player for swearing, don't you think the word "damn" is pretty damn tame? You said if one of the kids drops an f-bomb. Well, that's a far cry from "damn."

If I were the coach, I would have questioned throwing a kid out for saying (or even screaming) the word "damn."

The words "damn" or "hell" are not considered vulgarities, but the f-word most certainly is. Notice how damn and hell get past the very sensitive censor on this website, which catches the really bad words every time.
Hmmmmmm....Will you show me the official list of vulgarities please?
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't disagree with the intent of this post but
Every coach knows the rules dictate good sportsmanship from him and his players and yet I remind them of this at every plate meeting.
Every coach knows by rule his players must be equipped properly and yet I ask at every plate meeting if they are indeed equipped properly.

If a league has a zero tolerance policy on language I don't think it is at all out of line to remind the coach of this policy at the plate meeting.
It's consistent with what the plate meeting is used for.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I think George Carlin covered the list years ago.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei

S***, P***. F***, C***, C*********, M***********, and T***
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't disagree with the intent of this post but
Every coach knows the rules dictate good sportsmanship from him and his players and yet I remind them of this at every plate meeting.
Every coach knows by rule his players must be equipped properly and yet I ask at every plate meeting if they are indeed equipped properly.

If a league has a zero tolerance policy on language I don't think it is at all out of line to remind the coach of this policy at the plate meeting.

I think a 'no statement' on profanity at the plate meeting would be much more fair and true to the intent of the rules.

Personally I think your league dropped the ball on this one.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, after reading all of these posts I did a search on all of the posts still in the database on this site that pertain to the Plate Meeting. I see that there is such a wide array of reasons as to why things need to be stated at the Plate Meeting.

I have therefore concluded that each game has its Plate Meeting at least 1 hour before game time. First there will be the blessing of the baseballs with incantations to the god Wokehmawanna. Then the umpires will call upon the sacred hailings of the prophet Ginga who really wrote the original rules interpretations that were stolen by Jaska & Roder after they defeated the under-lord Kalkaka, the devil that stole the soul of Ty Cobb.

The umpires will then unveil the proper rule book for that level of play and chant, in 2 part harmony, each and every rule in said book. This will be followed by discussions with the managers (wearing Viking headdress) as to how each rule will be enforced that day. Also, a copy of the "local rules" of the league needs to be explained in detail so that there is no question when a batter is "called out for throwing his bat" or a player is ejected for saying "Damn".

Umpires must also explain how the strike zone will be called for that game and what will be allowed in as far as balks or warnings - no, let's just give warnings because balks hurt the feelings of the players! When the Plate Meeting is concluded, there should be no arguments, ejections or questions because everything has been explained to everyone. Then there will be a Kool-aid toast to the god Melhalla to bring wisdom and knowledge to all who participated in the church service known as the Plate Meeting!

There, that should satisfy all of the imbeciles that need to have these outlandish Plate Meetings!
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, but it could be stated in a less confrontational manner that how I perceived BigUmp's statement.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 09:47am
BigGuy

Quote:

I'll tell you why I tossed the kid - mainly because he directed his comments to his own catcher, which really doesn't show much sportsmanship. Words that are common phrase now, I never would have thought about saying when I was a kid. Just because they get by the censors doesn't mean it's ok. Do they use hell and damn on Barney, or cartoons. (other than the Simpsons and South Park) Kids trash talk in school and sometimes the teachers join in. Personally, I think the standards have dropped too much. I'm just one of those who thinks it has no place on a baseball diamond where the players are 13 and 14 and there are not only older folks who don't appreciate it but also younger impressionable kids who don't need to hear it. If that means my standards are higher, I'm happy to oblige. The coaches don't complain because they agree. And the coach I tossed, he apologized because he knew was wrong.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 09:49am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Gentlemen, after reading all of these posts I did a search on all of the posts still in the database on this site that pertain to the Plate Meeting. I see that there is such a wide array of reasons as to why things need to be stated at the Plate Meeting.

I have therefore concluded that each game has its Plate Meeting at least 1 hour before game time. First there will be the blessing of the baseballs with incantations to the god Wokehmawanna. Then the umpires will call upon the sacred hailings of the prophet Ginga who really wrote the original rules interpretations that were stolen by Jaska & Roder after they defeated the under-lord Kalkaka, the devil that stole the soul of Ty Cobb.

The umpires will then unveil the proper rule book for that level of play and chant, in 2 part harmony, each and every rule in said book. This will be followed by discussions with the managers (wearing Viking headdress) as to how each rule will be enforced that day. Also, a copy of the "local rules" of the league needs to be explained in detail so that there is no question when a batter is "called out for throwing his bat" or a player is ejected for saying "Damn".

Umpires must also explain how the strike zone will be called for that game and what will be allowed in as far as balks or warnings - no, let's just give warnings because balks hurt the feelings of the players! When the Plate Meeting is concluded, there should be no arguments, ejections or questions because everything has been explained to everyone. Then there will be a Kool-aid toast to the god Melhalla to bring wisdom and knowledge to all who participated in the church service known as the Plate Meeting!

There, that should satisfy all of the imbeciles that need to have these outlandish Plate Meetings!

I like it!!!
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 01:19pm

Quote:
I'll tell you why I tossed the kid - mainly because he directed his comments to his own catcher, which really doesn't show much sportsmanship.
That is why I wouldn't toss him. Had the comment been directed at an opponent, official, or other adult not affiliated with his team, I might have a different opinion, depending on exactly what was said. Maybe the catcher and he have that kind of relationship, and talk that way with each other all the time.

Quote:
Words that are common phrase now, I never would have thought about saying when I was a kid.
Please don't tell me you never used "hell" and "damn" when you were a teenager. I will get that BS meter back out of the closet.

Quote:
Do they use hell and damn on Barney, or cartoons. (other than the Simpsons and South Park)
One of the worst analogies I've ever seen. Highly illogical. Are these players 3 and 4 year olds? No, they are 13 and 14 year olds, and are much more likely to watch South Park, The Simpsons, and other more mature fare, than they are to watch a baby show such as Barney.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Profanity rules are absurd. We have remedies for unsportsmanlike conduct. Why the inconsistently handled faux attempt at having the umpires be language police? Absurd.