The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   My 1ST Ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34495-my-1st-ejection.html)

PFISTO Fri May 11, 2007 05:37am

My 1ST Ejection

Man how things have changed. Last year was my 1st year as a carded Baseball umpire. I have been involved in baseball my whole life I'm 50 now. Last year I did every level 6 year olds to 18 year olds. This year I have only been doing H/S games up until last night. I did a 13&14 year old game and hated every minute of it. First of all the attitude of most of the players and one of the coaches was disgusting. Kids with hats turned around, sloppy dress, ear rings all of which was addressed and fixed. Then in the 3rd inning one of the kids who was the biggeset kid there (man he was bigger than me) got picked off 1st as he was fooling around and got caught. Well he went nuts cursing throwing his helmet SEEYA he's gone. His manager did nothing I mean nothing. I was very disappointed with the whole situation. I know all kids at this age are not like this but it really makes me rethink as to what type of games I will be doing in the future. There I feel better now.

BigGuy Fri May 11, 2007 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFISTO
Man how things have changed. Last year was my 1st year as a carded Baseball umpire. I have been involved in baseball my whole life I'm 50 now. Last year I did every level 6 year olds to 18 year olds. This year I have only been doing H/S games up until last night. I did a 13&14 year old game and hated every minute of it. First of all the attitude of most of the players and one of the coaches was disgusting. Kids with hats turned around, sloppy dress, ear rings all of which was addressed and fixed. Then in the 3rd inning one of the kids who was the biggeset kid there (man he was bigger than me) got picked off 1st as he was fooling around and got caught. Well he went nuts cursing throwing his helmet SEEYA he's gone. His manager did nothing I mean nothing. I was very disappointed with the whole situation. I know all kids at this age are not like this but it really makes me rethink as to what type of games I will be doing in the future. There I feel better now.

Next time you get a kid with and attitude and the coach does nothing about it, warn the coach about keeping his player under control then toss him if it doesn't stop. Our 13-14 league has a zero tolerance on profanity or kids throwing a temper tantrum. As a result, we also have very few disciplinary problems. Our league uses for the most part FED rules with some exceptions. You get ejected, it's a minimum one game suspension.

Establish your position right away with the coaches at the pre-game. Sometimes it's a pain but it will pay off.

mcrowder Fri May 11, 2007 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy
Next time you get a kid with and attitude and the coach does nothing about it, warn the coach about keeping his player under control then toss him if it doesn't stop. Our 13-14 league has a zero tolerance on profanity or kids throwing a temper tantrum. As a result, we also have very few disciplinary problems. Our league uses for the most part FED rules with some exceptions. You get ejected, it's a minimum one game suspension.

Establish your position right away with the coaches at the pre-game. Sometimes it's a pain but it will pay off.

No. Don't "establish your position at the pre-game". Why begin with negativity at all. See thread on Plate Conferences sometime recently in the softball forum.

ozzy6900 Fri May 11, 2007 02:35pm

Quote:

SNIPPED
Establish your position right away with the coaches at the pre-game.
Sometimes it's a pain but it will pay off.

Pre-game is what the umpires have. Plate meeting are what takes place between the managers and the umpires. At the Plate Meeting, you handle and discuss the line up cards, the ground rules and the equipment question to the managers - Nothing else! We have been over this time and again, Plate Meetings are quick and to the point.

If you want to "state your position" go become a politician. This way everyone can ignore you!

BlueLawyer Fri May 11, 2007 03:23pm

Never Pleasant

I have never found it pleasant to eject somebody, even the somebody who begged for it. A lot. Once upon a time I had a 15 year-old kid stealing second. Thrown out by a mile and then dropped the F-bomb- not at me, mind you, but in frustration. Whole park heard him, so I had to cut him loose. I hated that.

It's good to vent, though.

BigGuy Fri May 11, 2007 04:21pm

To mcrowder:
Quote:
No. Don't "establish your position at the pre-game". Why begin with negativity at all. See thread on Plate Conferences sometime recently in the softball forum.

First of all, know what you are criticizing before you criticize it. When I establish my position at the pregame, I am expected by the league to reiterate two items. One is sportsmanship. The other is profanity - we have zero tolerance in this league. So the statement is this - "there is zero tolerance on profanity - if I hear it, they're gone, and I don't want any complaints about warnings - there are none". So far, every single coach has never questioned it, and they agree 100%. As a result in this league so far this year there have been ZERO ejections. I am not beginning with negativity at all. What I am doing is this - giving them a heads up - the coaches know if one of their players gets tossed for swearing - they will not be coming to me to say "where's the warning" or "isn't there a warning". They will know the kid tossed himself.

To ozzy - do yourself a favor - go back on your medication, stop listening to the voices in your head, and re-read your FED rule and case book on pregame conferences, because that's what FED still calls them. See references below. You can call it whatever you want, you just can't call me wrong.:p :D

Ref: 2-10-2
ART. 2... A pregame conference is a meeting involving the umpires, both head coaches and team captains (if available) near home plate. The meeting should begin approximately five minutes prior to the game. The purpose of the pregame conference is to exchange and check each team's lineup cards and to discuss ground rules. Umpires also shall ask the head coaches of the two opposing teams if their players are legally and properly equipped. In addition, the expectation of good sporting behavior is shared with both teams and representatives (4-1-3a). Both teams shall remain in their dugout (bench) or bullpen area until this meeting has concluded.

Case book references:
1.1.2a
1.5.8g
10.1.7c

mcrowder Fri May 11, 2007 04:24pm

BG - I understand reiterating sportsmanship if you have to. But the mere fact that you are calling it "Establishing your position" tells me you are too confrontational. No need to "set a tone" or anything of the sort at the Plate Meeting. Do your duties and move on.

BigGuy Fri May 11, 2007 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
BG - I understand reiterating sportsmanship if you have to. But the mere fact that you are calling it "Establishing your position" tells me you are too confrontational. No need to "set a tone" or anything of the sort at the Plate Meeting. Do your duties and move on.

Call it whatever you want - I don't say "this is my position". I make a simple statement and move on. It's not intended to set up an argument, nor is it confrontational. The coaches know we are talking 13 and 14 years old and know how they can be. If a kid swears, the coach KNOWS he will get tossed, and saves himself ANY potential showdown with me. As a result, the coaches go back and tell their players - "hey, there is no joking around when it comes to swearing - the umpire WILL throw you out of the game, and I can't help you".

Don Mueller Fri May 11, 2007 05:25pm

Quote:

Call it whatever you want - I don't say "this is my position". I make a simple statement and move on. It's not intended to set up an argument, nor is it confrontational. The coaches know we are talking 13 and 14 years old and know how they can be. If a kid swears, the coach KNOWS he will get tossed, and saves himself ANY potential showdown with me. As a result, the coaches go back and tell their players - "hey, there is no joking around when it comes to swearing - the umpire WILL throw you out of the game, and I can't help you".

Just out of curiosity

Which ejections does the coach think he CAN help out on?

budjones05 Sat May 12, 2007 08:35pm

Quote:

My summer league, if a player gets tossed, so does the coach

GarthB Sun May 13, 2007 01:17am

People, people, people.

What good does it do one to dump BG in the ignore closet if you all keep quoting him?

Thanks for your consideration of this matter.

Rich Sun May 13, 2007 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
People, people, people.

What good does it do one to dump BG in the ignore closet if you all keep quoting him?

And it's some of the worst freaking advice one can give.

Step back and remember, "I am the umpire." Take care of bidness when necessary, but making everyone think you're a hardass at the plate meeting is stupid.

BigUmp56 Sun May 13, 2007 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

Step back and remember, "I am the umpire." Take care of bidness when necessary, but making everyone think you're a hardass at the plate meeting is stupid.

I agree, Rich. I also have a problem with his leagues "zero tolerance" policy on profanity. It's baseball, not a church social. There's no reason to toss a player for cursing unless it's directed at someone in an unsportsmanlike manner, or shouted loud enough for the women in the top row of the bleachers to hear. Shaving aged players swear out of frustration at themselves all the time.I just make a point to ask them to watch their language when I choose to hear what they said.

Tim.

GarthB Sun May 13, 2007 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

And, has ever been thus. That's why he's in the ignore closet.

ozzy6900 Sun May 13, 2007 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
People, people, people.

Sorry Garth, I forgot.