Thread: My 1ST Ejection
View Single Post
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:22am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Man how things have changed. Last year was my 1st year as a carded Baseball umpire. I have been involved in baseball my whole life I'm 50 now. Last year I did every level 6 year olds to 18 year olds. This year I have only been doing H/S games up until last night. I did a 13&14 year old game and hated every minute of it. First of all the attitude of most of the players and one of the coaches was disgusting. Kids with hats turned around, sloppy dress, ear rings all of which was addressed and fixed. Then in the 3rd inning one of the kids who was the biggeset kid there (man he was bigger than me) got picked off 1st as he was fooling around and got caught. Well he went nuts cursing throwing his helmet SEEYA he's gone. His manager did nothing I mean nothing. I was very disappointed with the whole situation. I know all kids at this age are not like this but it really makes me rethink as to what type of games I will be doing in the future. There I feel better now.
Next time you get a kid with and attitude and the coach does nothing about it, warn the coach about keeping his player under control then toss him if it doesn't stop. Our 13-14 league has a zero tolerance on profanity or kids throwing a temper tantrum. As a result, we also have very few disciplinary problems. Our league uses for the most part FED rules with some exceptions. You get ejected, it's a minimum one game suspension.

Establish your position right away with the coaches at the pre-game. Sometimes it's a pain but it will pay off.