The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Catch and Carry help...

I was having an arguement with people at work about a player being awarded a base after a fielder catches a foul ball then falls into stands but have been unable to find any evidence except the MLB rules. They all say they have NEVER seen it happen so it can't be a valid rule. (I know argueing with morons) So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction
Thanks Mike
THE Jeter and David Wright catch both happened with 2 outs
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Try this thread:

"Rules Myths" questions
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

How about:
7.04 Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when-

(c) A fielder, after catching a fly ball, falls into a bench or stand, or falls across ropes into a crowd when spectators are on the field; A fielder or catcher may reach or step into, or go into the dugout with one or both feet to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. Ball is in play. If the fielder or catcher, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and runners advance one base without liability to be put out.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 01:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Not in all cases of course...the MLB players are so good...I would bet that if there's a chance of them falling into the stands w/ runners on base, they probably let the ball fall out of play rather than attempt a great catch...not for sure, never played in the bigs...but that might be a reason why we don't see it happened very often at that level
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 03:18pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
I was having an arguement with people at work about a player being awarded a base after a fielder catches a foul ball then falls into stands but have been unable to find any evidence except the MLB rules. They all say they have NEVER seen it happen so it can't be a valid rule. (I know argueing with morons) So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction
Thanks Mike
THE Jeter and David Wright catch both happened with 2 outs
FED 7-3-3d

d. one base if a pitch or any throw by the pitcher from his pitching position on his plate goes into a stand or bench or over or through or lodges in a fence or backstop or touches a spectator or lodges in an umpire's or catcher's equipment; or with less than two outs, the batter hits a fair or foul ball (fly or line drive) which is caught by a fielder, who then leaves the field of play by stepping with both feet or by falling into a bench, dugout, stand, bleacher or over any boundary or barrier such as a fence, rope, chalk line or pre-game determined imaginary boundary line.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Careful Quoting OBR 7.04

that rule has changed in OBR. You may no longer make a legal catch in a dugout. Dugouts are now considered dead ball territory.