The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 01:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook11
I have to admit that I have not done many games but...

The defense walks the bases loaded in order to create the IFF and a force at all bases...I have seen this several times...

I have never seen a defense walk the bases loaded to create an infield fly situation. I can't even imagine why someone would do so.
If the winning run is on third base with less than two outs...my friend, you haven't watched much and probably played even less baseball...why wouldn't you do that unless you have Danny Almonte pitching in at the LL World Series when he strikes everybody out. That is a widely used strategy in many baseball games...so if you have other coaching strategies out there you tell me how you'd align your defense when your team is playing defense in the bottom of the 9th inning tied 2 - 2 and B1 leads off with a triple...

I'm sure your reasons might be good...obviously this isn't the be all and end all strategy, but a very common one.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
If the winning run is on third base with less than two outs...my friend, you haven't watched much and probably played even less baseball...why wouldn't you do that unless you have Danny Almonte pitching in at the LL World Series when he strikes everybody out. That is a widely used strategy in many baseball games...so if you have other coaching strategies out there you tell me how you'd align your defense when your team is playing defense in the bottom of the 9th inning tied 2 - 2 and B1 leads off with a triple...

I'm sure your reasons might be good...obviously this isn't the be all and end all strategy, but a very common one.
Yeah, load up the bases, but I don't usually think of that as being done to create an IFF situation. I see it being done to create a force at home. Maybe that was what he was thinking. What I have never seen is an outfielder moved into the infield in conjunction with loading the bases. I've seen them pulled in to take away short singles but not all of the way into the infield.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
GB & Johnny:

I officially give up.

Let the inmates run this site.

I remain,

"The Notorious Thread Deleter."
So Rule 2.00 is not a rule? Or the word "infielder" doesn't have a meaning in the definition? You slander me, sir, but do not back up your position.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook11
I have to admit that I have not done many games but...

The defense walks the bases loaded in order to create the IFF and a force at all bases...I have seen this several times...

I have never seen a defense walk the bases loaded to create an infield fly situation. I can't even imagine why someone would do so.
I'm pretty sure that you've seen this happen more than you can remember...just haven't considered that it creates the IFF rule, but just the force at all bases. I don't remember the last time IF AT ALL that I've seen where an outfielder has been positioned in the infield however.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

word for word (FED)

Rule 2 , Sec. 19 Infield Fly
"An infield fly is a fair fly which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, (rule does not preclude outfielders from being allowed to attempt to make the catch)....."

The way I understand it if I'm reading it correctly, the infielder must be able to make the catch with ordinary effort but the outfielder may make the actual attempt.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Why hasn't this been addressed?

Quote:
Major Edit
Rather than be silly and argumentative I changed this post to read:

1) Can an infield fly be "uncalled"? Can my partner say: "No it is not high enough?" Note: I do not mean when an umpire calls an infield fly in error because he either is mistaken in outs or in the placement of the runners,
No. If an IFF has been called and meets the condition of ordinary effort, then it stays called. It can't be uncalled unless such call was erroneously made; such as above or 3) a bunt. Then, the defense may earn the DP.

Yes. If uncalled by either ump, it is a major mistake and an existing ruling or case play must be considered. IFF is in effect anyway. 1) The batter is out, 2) runners maintain any bases, and 3) the defense can't take advantage of DP opportunity.

Just trying to give clear info and avoid another English-only tongue-lashing over the semantics of an "uncalled" IFF rule.
Quote:
2) What is the timing for the umpire to call infield fly? Every single camp, clinic, classic, academy or umpire school all say to call the infield fly when the ball reaches the apex of flight. I really hope no one disagrees with this universal mechanic.
Mechanics do change over time. I believe the mechanic is now after the ball has reached it's apex and has started on it's downward flight. I also realize how nitpicky this is being with words.

So,
Quote:
Play Situation:

R1 and R2 with less than two out.

Infield and outfield are playing in a normal defensive set.

The day's weather is lightly overcast with little to no wind.

The Batter hits a high pop-up directly at F4.

As a well trained umpire crew you all wait until the ball reaches its highest point and two of the crew, including you the PU, correctly call "Infield Fly if Fair!"

The ball comes down and the ball is dropped by, OH NO, the Right Fielder who has run into the infield!

Please make your ruling.

I remain,

"The Notorious Thread Deleter"

T
I quote, "As a well trained umpire crew you all wait until the ball reaches its highest point and two of the crew, including you the PU, correctly call "Infield Fly if Fair!"

We, my partner and I, have nothing else to rule on unless a play follows or time is requested. I suppose one of us can kindly remind everyone again that the batter is out.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 05:17pm.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have NEVER seen the defense walk 2 batters intentionally to load the bases after a leadoff batter hit a triple in the bottom of 9th of a tie game. The normal strategy is to pull the infield and outfield in to hopefully prevent the runner from advancing from 3B on a ground ball or shallow fly ball. If I got an out on the next batter without the runner advancing I might walk the next batter, keep the corners in and move F4 and F6 back to normal to hopefully get a DP. Or, I might leave the infielders in, depending on the batter coming up, what position in the batting order, and what he has done at bat today. Outfielders would still be in because a deep fly ball wins the game.

I'm certainly not going to walk the number 8 man and the number 9 man to load the bases with none out for the top of the order. And if Danny Almonte is pitching and striking everybody out how did the batter hit a triple? Geez..
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:25pm
Stop staring at me swan.

that's why we play the game...different coaches, different strategies, different levels of baseball. and DG, while I have seen what I describe work, I have also seen it fail...much like you scenario...I can find a million reasons why your strategy is good too...but like any plan in baseball...it doesn't work every time.

In the Almonte case...maybe it was a dropped 3rd strike followed by two passed balls....there R3 no outs. :-)
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:03am

I think all the confusion stems from whether an outfielder's ability to catch the ball with ordinary effort is a factor in determining an IFF. It is not. Only an infielder's ability to catch the ball with ordinary effort is used as criteria for calling IFF. I think Johnny was asking if F7 comes running in, does he qualify for an IFF rule. The answer is NO. He can certainly catch the ball, but to be an IFF, an infielder must be able to catch the ball with ordinary effort. He can always give way to an outfielder calling him off, if he thinks the outfielder has a better angle on the ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

It's not jibber or jabber

This thread can't last forever. Forget the people in the OP then, start with R1 and R2, a towering fly ball within the "outskirts" of the infield and less than 2 outs. IFF, if Fair. As Mr. Carl Childress stated, "The situation determines the out."

Edited to delete: No one will argue whether jibber or jabber missed the catch.

Edited to add: The umpires will not care whether jibber or jabber missed the catch. The play will not be "uncalled" for either team.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 01:20pm.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 01:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
The umpires will not care whether jibber or jabber missed the catch.
These words brought to you courtesy of the King of Jibber Jabber himself!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I think all the confusion stems from whether an outfielder's ability to catch the ball with ordinary effort is a factor in determining an IFF. It is not. Only an infielder's ability to catch the ball with ordinary effort is used as criteria for calling IFF. I think Johnny was asking if F7 comes running in, does he qualify for an IFF rule. The answer is NO. He can certainly catch the ball, but to be an IFF, an infielder must be able to catch the ball with ordinary effort. He can always give way to an outfielder calling him off, if he thinks the outfielder has a better angle on the ball.
Thank you. Amidst an incredible level of noise (I think it's called WOBW) and muddled writing, you have finally correctly and concisely answered the frickin' question.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But can't F7 move into the IF then the IFF rule would then apply to F7 as well?
Yes, F7 can move into the IF. Yes, the IFF rule would then apply to F7.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 04:18pm.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Please Read UP

There is no outfielder fly rule. There is no infielder fly rule.
It doen't matter who on the defense does what.

The batter runner is out because there is an INFIELD FLY rule, caught or not, in effect.
This protects the runner(s) from running into an easy double or triple play.
The "force to vacate" from an uncaught infield fly is removed by rule.
The runners may keep their bases or advance at their own risk.
The rule protects the offense, not the defense.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 05:11pm.