Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Question about Pitchers ERA's/Unerned runs

I know this is not a scorekeeper's sight but who better to ask than the experts

I was told recently by a scorekeeper after one of our games; after our team scored 4 runs in an inning that none of them were erned. The situation was as follows, 1 hit, followed by 2 batters reaching base on errors, then another true hit, then a monster true homerun. I was informed that none of the runs were erned, because they occurred after 2 errors were made, which means the inning should have been already over. Therefore, all the runs scored after the 2 errors were made don't count as erned runs for us, and count as unerned runs for the pitcher stats. ???? Is this true, or have I been misinformed?? Does it matter how many outs there were during these situations ???

If anyone can help, I would be most apprciative.

Respectfully

Palmer
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmer
Question about Pitchers ERA's/Unerned runs

I know this is not a scorekeeper's sight but who better to ask than the experts

I was told recently by a scorekeeper after one of our games; after our team scored 4 runs in an inning that none of them were erned. The situation was as follows, 1 hit, followed by 2 batters reaching base on errors, then another true hit, then a monster true homerun. I was informed that none of the runs were erned, because they occurred after 2 errors were made, which means the inning should have been already over. Therefore, all the runs scored after the 2 errors were made don't count as erned runs for us, and count as unerned runs for the pitcher stats. ???? Is this true, or have I been misinformed?? Does it matter how many outs there were during these situations ???

If anyone can help, I would be most apprciative.

Respectfully

Palmer
This is an umpire's board. We really couldn't (or, at least, shouldn't) care less about how the runs are scored and who is responsible.

You may be better off taking this over to eteamz FP board.

However, I'm sure if someone who posts on this site can help you out, they'll give it a shot.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

It would matter when outs were made. Replay the inning again, and put a reasonable play (either batter out or fielders choice) in place of the two errors. Do not assume a double play, or possible special circumstances, just what a basic play would have been.

If the third out would have occurred before anyone scored, no earned runs; if the second hit would have scored the first runner before three outs (and means you have to decide if the runner would have advanced safely on either of the two errors), that run is earned. Under no circumstances is the run scored by a runner who got on base by error earned.

Scorekeeping is somewhat judgmental; and the official scorekeeper has the final call.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer
Does it matter how many outs there were during these situations ?
I have been taught that you "replay" the inning in your mind as if there had been no errors. Only the runs scoring in this no-error scenario are the earned runs.