View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
If the winning run is on third base with less than two outs...my friend, you haven't watched much and probably played even less baseball...why wouldn't you do that unless you have Danny Almonte pitching in at the LL World Series when he strikes everybody out. That is a widely used strategy in many baseball games...so if you have other coaching strategies out there you tell me how you'd align your defense when your team is playing defense in the bottom of the 9th inning tied 2 - 2 and B1 leads off with a triple...

I'm sure your reasons might be good...obviously this isn't the be all and end all strategy, but a very common one.
I have NEVER seen the defense walk 2 batters intentionally to load the bases after a leadoff batter hit a triple in the bottom of 9th of a tie game. The normal strategy is to pull the infield and outfield in to hopefully prevent the runner from advancing from 3B on a ground ball or shallow fly ball. If I got an out on the next batter without the runner advancing I might walk the next batter, keep the corners in and move F4 and F6 back to normal to hopefully get a DP. Or, I might leave the infielders in, depending on the batter coming up, what position in the batting order, and what he has done at bat today. Outfielders would still be in because a deep fly ball wins the game.

I'm certainly not going to walk the number 8 man and the number 9 man to load the bases with none out for the top of the order. And if Danny Almonte is pitching and striking everybody out how did the batter hit a triple? Geez..