View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Why hasn't this been addressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Major Edit
Rather than be silly and argumentative I changed this post to read:

1) Can an infield fly be "uncalled"? Can my partner say: "No it is not high enough?" Note: I do not mean when an umpire calls an infield fly in error because he either is mistaken in outs or in the placement of the runners,
No. If an IFF has been called and meets the condition of ordinary effort, then it stays called. It can't be uncalled unless such call was erroneously made; such as above or 3) a bunt. Then, the defense may earn the DP.

Yes. If uncalled by either ump, it is a major mistake and an existing ruling or case play must be considered. IFF is in effect anyway. 1) The batter is out, 2) runners maintain any bases, and 3) the defense can't take advantage of DP opportunity.

Just trying to give clear info and avoid another English-only tongue-lashing over the semantics of an "uncalled" IFF rule.
Quote:
2) What is the timing for the umpire to call infield fly? Every single camp, clinic, classic, academy or umpire school all say to call the infield fly when the ball reaches the apex of flight. I really hope no one disagrees with this universal mechanic.
Mechanics do change over time. I believe the mechanic is now after the ball has reached it's apex and has started on it's downward flight. I also realize how nitpicky this is being with words.

So,
Quote:
Play Situation:

R1 and R2 with less than two out.

Infield and outfield are playing in a normal defensive set.

The day's weather is lightly overcast with little to no wind.

The Batter hits a high pop-up directly at F4.

As a well trained umpire crew you all wait until the ball reaches its highest point and two of the crew, including you the PU, correctly call "Infield Fly if Fair!"

The ball comes down and the ball is dropped by, OH NO, the Right Fielder who has run into the infield!

Please make your ruling.

I remain,

"The Notorious Thread Deleter"

T
I quote, "As a well trained umpire crew you all wait until the ball reaches its highest point and two of the crew, including you the PU, correctly call "Infield Fly if Fair!"

We, my partner and I, have nothing else to rule on unless a play follows or time is requested. I suppose one of us can kindly remind everyone again that the batter is out.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 05:17pm.