The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I kind of thought I didn't need to spell out that it was a foul ball. I took for granted that anyone with a lick of sense would know that when I said it was "nothing"I meant "nothing" as in not interference. I'll do better next time, PWL.

Tim.
Well, Tim, Paul has a point. The original poster asked for folks to pick from three options: "Batter out, foul ball, or nothing?" Thus the OP seeming wouldn't understand that when you chose one, you also "meant" another.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Well, Tim, Paul has a point. The original poster asked for folks to pick from three options: "Batter out, foul ball, or nothing?" Thus the OP seeming wouldn't understand that when you chose one, you also "meant" another.
Agreed. I didn't read his options as closely as I should have.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

As Chris Jaksa so wonderfully explained at umpire school many moons ago, 13% of the batter's box is actually in fair territory, but if the ball should contact the batter anywhere in the box, call it a foul ball, and if there are no box lines at all, be darned sure he's out of the box if you're going to call him out.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:26am
Stop staring at me swan.

I agree w/ Ump25...this will be the best way to deal with it...I worked a HS game this past Thurs and the pitcher was committing a balk by the letter of the rule, but in no way, was deceiving the runner or gaining an advantage either way...I told the catcher to go tell his pitcher what he was doing, I told the coach on his way over to the 3B coaching box...no worries...in my opinion, don't over officiate by looking for the little things that can disrupt the flow of a baseball game. In the sitch above...this is a foul ball. leave it at that...make your call w/ authority, and move on. I guess I just don't feel there's a need to go looking for cheap balks...maybe in MLB...but I will never be an MLB umpire.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 09:46am.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
be darned sure he's out of the box if you're going to call him out.
Oh c'mon -- what are the chances of a BR being hit by his own bunt in fair territory when he's out of the box. It's only going to happen during a series when every other strange play takes place.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Now, Bob, you wouldn't be referring to our series from Hell this weekend, would you?

Last edited by UMP25; Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 10:54am.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 12:27pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Not saying that one game is more important than another but it's funny how the weird stuff tends to happened at lower levels or teams that aren't as polished. Not always, but speaking from experience.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Not saying that one game is more important than another but it's funny how the weird stuff tends to happened at lower levels or teams that aren't as polished. Not always, but speaking from experience.
I agree with your point, but don't tell the Cubs that from last week - what did their game have three or four unusual plays ...

As Bob I believe stated, these plays kind of seem to all come in the same game also

Thanks
David
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyg08
Well, Bob and I weren't working the lower levels this weekend. We worked a 3-game NCAA conference series, and from the first inning of the first game, nothing was normal! It was some of the most bizarre stuff in which I have ever participated. Weird plays, rulings, an ejection of a foaming-at-the-mouth assistant (who, BTW, I was told was an absolute menace as a former minor league player and coach--he got dumped more times than Elizabeth Taylor)--everything seemed to have happened.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 01:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
I agree with your point, but don't tell the Cubs that from last week - what did their game have three or four unusual plays ...

As Bob I believe stated, these plays kind of seem to all come in the same game also

Thanks
David
Considering the success of the Cubbies in the last century or so...that's exactly what I'm saying! no, just kidding, i get your point..
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well, Bob and I weren't working the lower levels this weekend. We worked a 3-game NCAA conference series, and from the first inning of the first game, nothing was normal! It was some of the most bizarre stuff in which I have ever participated. Weird plays, rulings, an ejection of a foaming-at-the-mouth assistant (who, BTW, I was told was an absolute menace as a former minor league player and coach--he got dumped more times than Elizabeth Taylor)--everything seemed to have happened.
Sounds like you guys had to use a lot of rules.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Well, as one of my partners told me, "With you and Jenkins on the field, nobody will be able to question a rule."

That didn't stop them from questioning judgment calls, though.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
That didn't stop them from questioning judgment calls, though.
Ha !