Thread: HSM Update
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I wear a helmet. I like the protection on the clam shell type backstops, those with netting over part of the backstop, and those with close in backstops. When I have to wear my glasses, the helmet is less prone to taking my specs off when hit. A traditional mask will sometimes spin off taking my glasses with it. Tried glasses straps but the mask would still move my glasses some.

For the lower stretch straps, I take them off, roll one end a couple times, then sew it. It keeps the end from coming through the helmet, but allows me more adjustment to keep a loose fit for easy removal. I suspect the straps are shorter than I need because normally a catcher would wear the thing tight. This also makes the straps single in stead of double, giving them more flex/give when taking the lid off.

I notice a little space between my forehead and the padding. Weird for me as I have a narrow but long head (I used to have to melt a small amount of foam out of my M/C helmets to round the edge and keep from getting a sore head, yet keep a tight fit on the sides). I have added a little padding to fill the forehead gap. Not fluffy filler but some solid padding from an old helmet.

I do wear a hat most of the time, not a problem because of the loose straps.

I am currently not wearing a dangler.

Had a TAG helmet (large). Biggest shell I have found yet. But, there was a big gap to my forehead to keep correct eye alignment. Partially shell design I think, partially because of the flatter appearing cage.

Now using an Easton. Smaller forehead space, more rounded cage.

I do loosen the cage before first use and make sure the cage is as low as I can get. My theory is the helmets are still made for catchers, who are looking "up" most of the time. Umpres look level or down, this the alignment problem. There is a little cage adjustment available because of the mounting holes and retainers.

For me the most important sizing with a HSM is my chin. Whatever position I wear the helmet, my chin should NEVER be above the chin bar. If the chin pad were to fall off, I want my chin to hit the plastic, not the cage, or my protection would be nil. My son the catcher/umpire is in the 'tween size. A small helmet is getting a little tight on the sides, but a large is too big in "height" - his chin is not low enough to properly hit the chin pad. Tried (and returned) several large sizes from different manufacturers with no luck.

I gave up on the TAG helmet because the cage felt too flat. I took a direct hit and was a little woozy. The Easton cage is much more rounded and direct hits are not an issue so far.

Tucking the helmet is not a problem. Either hook a finger or two in the cage, or put wrist in the view window (the helmet will "stick") and hold it against your side.