The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Rainout Check?

I was scheduled to work a 10/12 Sat DH. Rain came through last night. Sun out at 8 and no phone call received by 9. I dress and drive to the field and am ready to go by 9:40. The visiting team loads into the school bus and drives away as I am in the parking lot getting ready. I ask the home coach if they canceled or delayed the start of the game. It's canceled so I get in my car and leave my $80 DH pay-date behind. Players from the home team are still hanging around the parking lot. I call my partner to warn him and leave a message on his cell phone at 9:45. He doesn't have his cell phone with him. I know there is a game scheduled near my home so I check with the coach about doing that game. Game begins around 10:30 and my partner shows up in the bottom of the first to take the BU position. Between innings I tell my partner what happened earlier in the morning.

He tells me that he was inside the coach's office filling out his paperwork to get paid because no phone call was made to cancel the game and warn us not to show up. I remember being told by the same coach, "We tried to call your assignor to let him know and tell you." Turns out to be "happy" talk to cover his backside. That was the reason I left without asking for a copy of the paperwork. I had no idea my partner was inside at the time. Should I go by Mon thru Fri to ask the varsity coach if he would allow me to turn in the proper paperwork my partner had filled out and turned in on Sat. morning? The NS school district has over 10 high schools in the district and I did pick up another game. Unfortunately for us umpires, they insist on scheduling their games at the same time. That is the only reason I was able to walk onto my 10:30 game. Does that make any difference?

IOW, what "association policy" or rainout guidelines can I follow?

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 03:38pm.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I was scheduled to work a 10/12 Sat DH. Rain came through last night. Sun out at 8 and no phone call received by 9. I dress and drive to the field and am ready to go by 9:40. The visiting team loads into the school bus and drives away as I am in the parking lot getting ready. I ask the home coach if they canceled or delayed the start of the game. It's canceled so I get in my car and leave my $80 DH pay-date behind. Players from the home team are still hanging around the parking lot. I call my partner to warn him and leave a message on his cell phone at 9:45. He doesn't have his cell phone with him. I know there is a game scheduled near my home so I check with the coach about doing that game. Game begins around 10:30 and my partner shows up in the bottom of the first to take the BU position. Between innings I tell my partner what happened earlier in the morning.

He tells me that he was inside the coach's office filling out his paperwork to get paid because no phone call was made to cancel the game and warn us not to show up. I remember being told by the same coach, "We tried to call your assignor to let him know and tell you." Turns out to be "happy" talk to cover his backside. That was the reason I left without asking for a copy of the paperwork. I had no idea my partner was inside at the time. Should I go by Mon thru Fri to ask the varsity coach if he would allow me to turn in the proper paperwork my partner had filled out and turned in on Sat. morning? The NS school district has over 10 high schools in the district and I did pick up another game. Unfortunately for us umpires, they insist on scheduling their games at the same time. That is the only reason I was able to walk onto my 10:30 game. Does that make any difference?

IOW, what "association policy" or rainout guidelines can I follow?
If I have not received a call from my assignor before I leave home or work then I expect half a game fee for showing up, assuming my assignor was not called by the school. If he was called and he could not get up with me then I will expect nothing. For a DH that would be half of a one game fee only.

If there has been rain, I generally call the school. On a Saturday, most likely no one would answer, so I would be dependent on getting a call from my assignor, or the coach if he takes the initiative (rare).

I don't work games I wasn't assigned, or seek them out. As far as getting paid, I fill my assignor in on the situation and if I am due money it will come.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Took your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
If I have not received a call from my assignor before I leave home or work then I expect half a game fee for showing up, assuming my assignor was not called by the school. If he was called and he could not get up with me then I will expect nothing. For a DH that would be half of a one game fee only.

If there has been rain, I generally call the school. On a Saturday, most likely no one would answer, so I would be dependent on getting a call from my assignor, or the coach if he takes the initiative (rare).

I don't work games I wasn't assigned, or seek them out. As far as getting paid, I fill my assignor in on the situation and if I am due money it will come.

That is exactly how I feel about it myself. Also prefer that to going back to the school where I feel I may be stocking an unsuspecting coach or AD. Thanks.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 06:14pm.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also prefer that to going back to the school where I feel I may be stocking an unsuspecting coach or AD.
What do you mean? I go where I am sent. If I am due money there I make sure my assignor knows, so they can pay me for both games when I go.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

DG, please, let's not turn this into a dog and pony show. I stated that I prefer to follow your advice and fill my assignor in on the information and let him take care of it for me. I also prefer to do that than to show up unexpectedly on some strangers door asking to be paid for showing up to a HS JV game that was cancelled while I was there. You offered me some excellent advice (both past and present) and I have thanked you for it.

I apologize for any confusion I may have created. I did not state that I would not go back to work at that school if I were assigned. I did not mean that I would retaliate in any way or any other such nonsense. If I am paid, I feel I was paid because I followed my duties responsibly, as you suggested. If I am not paid, then so be it, as long as it was decided to be fair and legit. I still prefer to receive a rain check on top of the game check I earned.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 09:17pm.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/B]

That is exactly how I feel about it myself. Also prefer that to going back to the school where I feel I may be stocking an unsuspecting coach or AD. Thanks.
How do you "stock" a coach or AD?

Bob
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 10:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Bob
The same way you call a "bock."
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Bob
I am sure many of the following responses will be quite amusing. Only after hunting for the answer to your question did I notice where "stalking" is more appropriate.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 11:28pm.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The same way you call a "bock."
More "balck" humor.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 08:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, I don't worry about the money, at least not right away.

Some league have explicit policies. The league I assign has a "driving fee" and a "suspended game" fee. The umpires know the policy, even though the money received isn't a whole lot.

As far as summer programs, other leagues, I just have my own personal policy -- if I drive a good distance and the game is canceled and I'm not informed in advance, I expect you to make a good faith effort to take care of my expenses, otherwise I likely won't work there again. There's one school that asked be to work a scrimmage a few years ago and offered me $50 -- I haven't received it and I haven't been back since, even though they've asked.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Personally, I don't worry about the money, at least not right away.

Some league have explicit policies. The league I assign has a "driving fee" and a "suspended game" fee. The umpires know the policy, even though the money received isn't a whole lot.

As far as summer programs, other leagues, I just have my own personal policy -- if I drive a good distance and the game is canceled and I'm not informed in advance, I expect you to make a good faith effort to take care of my expenses, otherwise I likely won't work there again. There's one school that asked be to work a scrimmage a few years ago and offered me $50 -- I haven't received it and I haven't been back since, even though they've asked.
Our association collects the season's game fees and travel fees in advance from each school. Any adjustments are made at the end of the season and if a game did not get played or one of the umpires didn't show for any reason, the school gets a refund.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Apr 15, 2007 at 11:03am.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, the assignor gets all game fees before the season begins. He writes our checks every two weeks, and he makes sure we are paid correctly. We get 1/2 game fee if we travel to a game and it is cancelled. If we collect lineup cards, we get a full game fee if it is cancelled. There are a few schools that choose to pay the officials themselves. The assignor tells us that if we do not get a check, do not make a scene, he will get our money for us, and he always has done so. I really like this system, as we do not deal with the schools directly. We do not schedule our own games, and we do not deal with them concerning money.