The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I had a varsity match last week, where one call is still bothering me. Two hitters approach the ball, girl 1 is closer to me on the ladder, she goes up for the fake and girl 2 slams the ball. Girl 1 partially blocked my view of the hit on the ball, I saw the hit from about the net to the ground(ball not hand) and from what I saw it was a clean hit with no prolonged contact. Coach wants illegal as she thinks it was carried, fans are commenting making me think I might have missed something while I was blocked by girl 1. I look to my partner who gives me the old lets get moving look. So I call for the serve and it's over. Now 2 things the coach could have asked officially about it. But I also could have officially gone to my partner and asked if he saw any action prior to what I saw the he would consider illegal. Question is should I have gone to my partner and asked. I have always ignored fans, and coaches if they don't address me specifically. But I am wondering if I missed this one. I have always been one to focus on getting the call right not always being right. Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
I had a varsity match last week, where one call is still bothering me. Two hitters approach the ball, girl 1 is closer to me on the ladder, she goes up for the fake and girl 2 slams the ball. Girl 1 partially blocked my view of the hit on the ball, I saw the hit from about the net to the ground(ball not hand) and from what I saw it was a clean hit with no prolonged contact. Coach wants illegal as she thinks it was carried, fans are commenting making me think I might have missed something while I was blocked by girl 1. I look to my partner who gives me the old lets get moving look. So I call for the serve and it's over. Now 2 things the coach could have asked officially about it. But I also could have officially gone to my partner and asked if he saw any action prior to what I saw the he would consider illegal. Question is should I have gone to my partner and asked. I have always ignored fans, and coaches if they don't address me specifically. But I am wondering if I missed this one. I have always been one to focus on getting the call right not always being right. Thanks in advance.
IMHO, quickly glance at your partner to see if they give you a discrete signal - if they do, make your decision accordingly, if not, move on.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tim.

Your umpire should be giving you discretes, especially on plays where your view might be blocked. By your discription, your partner saw nothing illegal either.

If you didn't see it and your partner didn't see it, it didn't happen.

-Homer-
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:27pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I agree with both Tim and Homer. Once you glanced at your partner and there was no discrete signal of anything illegal, move on. In addition, from your description of the play, unless the player held and threw the ball (which does not seem like what happened), there was no reason for the coach to be questioning the lack of a ball-handling call. Call what you see, not what you think you see.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)