The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Pedag Polish for Patent Leather

Yes, it is a cleaner, polisher specifically made for patent leather to fill in cracks, condition the "leather", etc. It is amazing. Another "blue" told me about it and I had a credit balance with Honig's from a 15% off gift certificate I bought myself at Christmas so I said "what the heck" and tried it for the first time yesterday. As I stated earlier, a significant number of folks noticed the shine on my GDS high tops. I got offered some summer games (they are usually not centrally assigned like HS and College around here) by both coaches. I spent 23 years in the Army and Army Reserve and was a pretty good spit shiner of boots but I am not interested in doing that anymore. I recommend it for patent leather shoes/boots. This is a great product. I understand that there is also a black Pedag polish (German product) for regular leather shoes. I might try that sometime too. A little bit goes a looooooong way.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
Yes, it is a cleaner, polisher specifically made for patent leather to fill in cracks, condition the "leather", etc. It is amazing. Another "blue" told me about it and I had a credit balance with Honig's from a 15% off gift certificate I bought myself at Christmas so I said "what the heck" and tried it for the first time yesterday. As I stated earlier, a significant number of folks noticed the shine on my GDS high tops. I got offered some summer games (they are usually not centrally assigned like HS and College around here) by both coaches. I spent 23 years in the Army and Army Reserve and was a pretty good spit shiner of boots but I am not interested in doing that anymore. I recommend it for patent leather shoes/boots. This is a great product. I understand that there is also a black Pedag polish (German product) for regular leather shoes. I might try that sometime too. A little bit goes a looooooong way.
Hmmm.... this sounds great to me. I have a pair of SpotBilt patent plate shoes that have a scratch on the met-guard. I never knew that there was polish specifically designed for patene leather. I'll buy some today.

BTW- I used to use the regular Pedag on my old POS plate shoes, nice shine. I also use the Pedag neutral on my base shoes. Again, very nice shine.

I too spent some time in the Army and National Guard, I will never "spit shine" with Kiwi again!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

NB 350's

I purchased the NB 350's (mid-high base) last week. I had some difficulty locating the mid-high at the normal outlets and stumbled upon the zappos.com website. They had the shoe in my size with FREE OVERNIGHT shipping. Ordered at 9:00am on Thursday and had them before 10:00am Friday. Very comfortable shoe and the mid-high provides good support for us weak-ankled people.

Mark
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Worked a college DH yesterday. I'm ready to order a few more pairs of each. They are the most comfortable plate and base shoes I've ever owned.
Rich,

I've owned NB "gym shoes"--remember when we used to call everyday sneakers "gym shoes"?--for several years as my general walkaround wear and love them. They beat Nike, Adidas, Reebok, and everyone else for comfort. I purchased NB high top base shoes a few years back and LOVE them! It's like I'm walking and running on sponges that give me so much comfort.

Well, yesterday I strapped on my NB plate shoes for the first time. They truly ARE the most comfortable plate shoes I have ever worn! I've worn the Davis plate shoes for the last several years and really liked their look--that can't be beaten. However, they're sadly so darn heavy, and when one has to rotate in a 2-man or 3-man crew and run around, well...these shoes wear on you. Not to mention having to do this for 9 innings!

With the Davis shin guards I use, which are the lightest ones around, the NB plate shoes make it seem like I've got nothing on below my waist (equipment-wise, that is). I no longer feel like I'm treading water trying to run. It's a big help on my legs and feet, that's for sure.

So now it has come down to: do I go with the look of the GD shoes or the comfort of the NB shoes? Guess which one wins?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Rich,

I've owned NB "gym shoes"--remember when we used to call everyday sneakers "gym shoes"?--for several years as my general walkaround wear and love them. They beat Nike, Adidas, Reebok, and everyone else for comfort. I purchased NB high top base shoes a few years back and LOVE them! It's like I'm walking and running on sponges that give me so much comfort.

Well, yesterday I strapped on my NB plate shoes for the first time. They truly ARE the most comfortable plate shoes I have ever worn! I've worn the Davis plate shoes for the last several years and really liked their look--that can't be beaten. However, they're sadly so darn heavy, and when one has to rotate in a 2-man or 3-man crew and run around, well...these shoes wear on you. Not to mention having to do this for 9 innings!

With the Davis shin guards I use, which are the lightest ones around, the NB plate shoes make it seem like I've got nothing on below my waist (equipment-wise, that is). I no longer feel like I'm treading water trying to run. It's a big help on my legs and feet, that's for sure.

So now it has come down to: do I go with the look of the GD shoes or the comfort of the NB shoes? Guess which one wins?
Worked a college DH today and both pairs are full of slop. Still no complaints, though. Great comfort.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 01:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Not to sound like a shill, but:

NB Web Express is having a 10% and free shipping sale for the next 48 hours.

So base shoes are only $58.49 and plate shoes are only $89.99 shipped for the next 2 days.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Not so great

I just "broke in" my new NEW BALANCE plate shoes for a 3:20 9 inning JC game. My strike zone was still for crap...and my partners hate me.

Oh, sure, they are light and comfy and all that.. but I swear the brochure says.. "You'll master the low pitch with these babies".. or something like that...
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have the 350 base shoes. Excellent shoes, I may buy a second pair with the NBX special....
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran
I just "broke in" my new NEW BALANCE plate shoes for a 3:20 9 inning JC game. My strike zone was still for crap...and my partners hate me.

Oh, sure, they are light and comfy and all that.. but I swear the brochure says.. "You'll master the low pitch with these babies".. or something like that...
Hey, I wore mine yesterday -- D3 college game suspended the day before. My plate game - 3.5 innings in 40 minutes. Still covered in dirt and mud and whatever else was on that field.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Not to sound like a shill, but:

NB Web Express is having a 10% and free shipping sale for the next 48 hours.

So base shoes are only $58.49 and plate shoes are only $89.99 shipped for the next 2 days.
Any non-believers will thank Rich for pointing out this deal...
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
While comfy as all get out, they sure don't shine up like my GD patents.... and MikeBran, that low pitch claim was referring to the GD system (Plate Stance) !!!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

NB plate 10.5 D available

They are unused, just a tad too small for me in the hard portion of the toe. I need to get a 10.5 wide or an 11. I was undecided about giving these a try and now it's too late to return to Ref Shop.

I know some places are back ordered for this shoe. Pls PM me if interested.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Last year I purchased some GD high top patent leather shoes. I love the no-fuss, no-muss care, but now I can't wear the GD shin guards that I had purchased the year before. The shin guards worked well with a pair of regular height steel-toe shoes, providing great protection for my ankles.

Like many of you, I have been wearing NB shoes as my regular shoes for many years now. They are the only wide athletic shoes that I have been truly satisfied with.

So, for those of you who have started using the NB shoes, and who use shin guards with the ankle protection (like the GD guards), do you find that guards sit nicely along your ankles, or do they get splayed out a bit from the higher top of the NB shoes?

Bob
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

I've used the GD shin guards with the GD plate shoes for the last several years with no problems. I just switched to the NB plate shoes and also have no problems.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireBob
Last year I purchased some GD high top patent leather shoes. I love the no-fuss, no-muss care, but now I can't wear the GD shin guards that I had purchased the year before. The shin guards worked well with a pair of regular height steel-toe shoes, providing great protection for my ankles.

Like many of you, I have been wearing NB shoes as my regular shoes for many years now. They are the only wide athletic shoes that I have been truly satisfied with.

So, for those of you who have started using the NB shoes, and who use shin guards with the ankle protection (like the GD guards), do you find that guards sit nicely along your ankles, or do they get splayed out a bit from the higher top of the NB shoes?

Bob
I recently purchased the New Balance 450 plate shoes and the Wilson A3409 Triple Knee Shin Guards new for this year, and the guards fit perfectly & protect my ankle just like you would expect.