The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

1B mechanic question

Question about the 90 degree positioning when taking calls at first:

Working A and there is a grounder to the right side (first base side) of 2nd base. Since any ball to the right side of 2nd base is less than 90 degrees, would we take any calls in foul territory to comply with the 90 degree requirement, or would we just take a step or two fair and always take everything from fair?

I've heard different theories from different MiLB umpires. What do you think?

Thanks!
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on where the ball is.

If it's to F4s right, and deep, you've got very different angle than if F4 had to charge in on it. If a ball is hit to F3 playing deep, you're gonna move into foul territory. Just like a one hopper to F9. There's no single answer, it all depends on where the ball is being thrown from. 90 is nice if you can get it. In actuality, it's quite rare that you do.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

bossman72,

It's a 90d angle to the line of flight of the throw. 1B is just the apex of the angle and the "anchor" of your adjustment to that line of flight. On a typical grounder to F5, (coming from "A" of course) you will be at a 45d angle to the 1B line with the bag at the apex. As the throw originates from a point more towards 2B, and , possibly 1B, you correspondingly decrease your angle to the 1b line.

As that progress towards 1B continues, the umpire will eventually experience too great a degree of "pressure" from the fielders, and it may become impractical to move into fair territory, and he should create an angle from foul territory instead.

JM
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Question about the 90 degree positioning when taking calls at first:

Working A and there is a grounder to the right side (first base side) of 2nd base. Since any ball to the right side of 2nd base is less than 90 degrees, would we take any calls in foul territory to comply with the 90 degree requirement, or would we just take a step or two fair and always take everything from fair?

I've heard different theories from different MiLB umpires. What do you think?

Thanks!

You seem to be confusing from where the 90 degrees is measured. It is not 90 degrees from the bag, it is 90 degrees an imaginary line drawn from the where the throw will orginate to the bag. Thus, if the throw is coming from near second, getting a 90 degree angle will just require little distance off the foul line.

If the throw is coming from near home, the 90 will put you in the baseline between first and second. Most often, the throw will take you to somewhere between those two positions.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

On a two-man crew, don't take anything in foul territory at 1B. If there is that much pressure, open your body up to the play and get the best look you can. If you take that play from the foul side, and the throw gets by F3, you now have a foot race with the BR to second (and he has a head start). Maybe there are a lot of guys around here who are quicker than me, but I will lose that race on most days.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
On a two-man crew, don't take anything in foul territory at 1B. If there is that much pressure, open your body up to the play and get the best look you can. If you take that play from the foul side, and the throw gets by F3, you now have a foot race with the BR to second (and he has a head start). Maybe there are a lot of guys around here who are quicker than me, but I will lose that race on most days.
PU can take BR to second if F4 forces BU into foul territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
If a ball is hit to F3 playing deep, you're gonna move into foul territory. Just like a one hopper to F9.
I'd pivot on a one hopper to F9.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I don't know why you've heard different things from MLB umpires...the PBUC and MLB manuals state that 1B umpires should strive to take all plays in fair territory...however, both manuals recognize that some plays must be adjudged from foul territory.

Simply put, for 95% of ground balls to the right side of the infield, I take two steps (one with each foot) into fair territory. (I cross over with my left foot as my fist step, and then move my right foot, and then come to a (standing) set position.) (As another aside, there is a sizable portion of MLB umpires who take virtually ALL plays at first from just a few feet into fair territory...that is, they don't attempt to get a 90-degree angle on balls hit to the left side of the infield. I first heard about this from Jeff Nelson (#45) when I was in the minors.) When I work 3 or 4 man, I take all my plays at first vitually in this spot...a few feet into fair territory. It gives me a great look at the bag, as I listen for the ball hitting the glove, IMHO.

For those plays where F4 or F3 truly "pressure me"...that is makes it so that I would get in their way in their attempt to make a play...I simply go a couple of steps into foul territory.