The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Question Two-ump question - check swing

Hi folks,

I ump and coach baseball here in Israel (yes!). Our games have two umps (if we're lucky!).

I have been told by a few folks here that if the BU is behind 2nd or SS (ie, not at first base), then the PU cannot refer to him for an appealed check swing. The reasoning is that the BU cannot see the swing from where he is standing, as he has to be down the line (first base or third base).

So, the question is twofold: Is this how you guys work?
Secondly, say the PU *does* ask the BU for help, by pointing at him. What is the BU to do?

My take on it is that the BU should be able to do this, as I think he can clearly see if the batter intended to swing or not. Whether he "broke his wrists" or not is only a small indicator of his intent. You can tell if a batter wanted to hit that ball, it's usually straight-forward.

What do you folks say?

Thanks,

Shmuel
www.eteamz.com/revavabaseball
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
Hi folks,

I ump and coach baseball here in Israel (yes!). Our games have two umps (if we're lucky!).

I have been told by a few folks here that if the BU is behind 2nd or SS (ie, not at first base), then the PU cannot refer to him for an appealed check swing. The reasoning is that the BU cannot see the swing from where he is standing, as he has to be down the line (first base or third base).

Secondly, say the PU *does* ask the BU for help, by pointing at him. What is the BU to do?

My take on it is that the BU should be able to do this, as I think he can clearly see if the batter intended to swing or not. Whether he "broke his wrists" or not is only a small indicator of his intent. You can tell if a batter wanted to hit that ball, it's usually straight-forward.

What do you folks say?

Thanks,

Shmuel
A check swing appeal can be made from anywhere on the field. If you are playing by OBR or NCAA rules, the plate umpire is required to ask his partner.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Yes, you can ask for help. After the check swing, you should be calling BALL, No he didn't go. That is if you think he didn't go. If the defense asks for an appeal, you simply step out and ask your partner with your LEFT hand, Did he go. Your partner, should respond either, Yes he did or No, he didn't go. If he says yes he did, then you respond, Then that's a strike. There is no doubt it's a hard call for BU, but then again, that's a known problem with two man.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

"If you are in the infield and we have check swing appeal I will come to you, I am automatic, if they ask I come to you. If I missed a strike I want it back".

This is in my pregame, every time.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
There is no doubt it's a hard call for BU, but then again, that's a known problem with two man.
Hard call? Not at all: did B or did he not attempt to hit the ball?
If you are 100% sure he did offer- YES, HE DID - "then that's a strike"
If you are not 100% sure he did - NO, HE DID NOT!

And, yeah, what DG said.

I see the board server has not "sprung forward".

Last edited by cbfoulds; Sun Mar 11, 2007 at 03:33pm. Reason: tom make addl comment
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:27am
rei

I agree that your partner can help no matter where he is at! It is not that hard to call really, and each year, it is becoming more accepted that the BU can call it correctly from B or C!

Fans still don't like it. But, they are the same dummies who at a recent game I was on the plate claimed that a foul tip was a foul ball and the runner who stole should go back!
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Around here it has been accepted ever since I have been umpiring. Being as all umpire manuels I have say the same thing you would think it is an accepted practice everywhere. (except nfhs were pu isn't required, but should) If it isn't accepted in your area I can't help but ask ... who's running the show and why arn't they following sop?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
Hi folks,

What do you folks say?

Thanks,

Shmuel
The applicable rules are:

OBR 9.01
(a) The league president shall appoint one or more umpires to officiate at each league championship game.

Rule 9.02(c) Comment: The manager or the catcher may request the plate umpire to ask his partner for help on a half swing when the plate umpire calls the pitch a ball, but not when the pitch is called a strike.

Notice the rules do not say ANYTHING about the position of the BU.

As Rich said in OBR / NCAA we have to. In FED (HS rules) we do not "have to" however, even in a FED game most PU's will oblige.

Quote:
If I'm the BU I give the PU what I saw. Safe signal for a ball and an out signal for a strike.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds
Hard call? Not at all: did B or did he not attempt to hit the ball?
If you are 100% sure he did offer- YES, HE DID - "then that's a strike"
If you are not 100% sure he did - NO, HE DID NOT!

And, yeah, what DG said.

I see the board server has not "sprung forward".

Simply put, when your in A with a left handed batter, it's not as easy to see as with a right handed batter, where you can clearly see the barrel of the bat, hands and hips of the batter. Not as clearly seen with a left handed batter. Same thing in B or C. There are angle advantages and not. Hard call, no, clearly seeing the bat breaking the plane of the plate, not so easily seen. Can I read the intent, probably, true travel of the bat head, probably not, can I make the call, you bet I will, either way, If I believe there was intent, with a good offer, no problem.

As for why others don't ask, or say you can't ask or see from the working area, training, knowledge, and a willingness to improve game to game. To quote Jim Evans, because Charlie wasn't taught it, it won't work.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

What is the reason for plate umpires not making the call on the check swing in the first place? Do they usually get blocked by the catcher, are they more focused on whether the ball was in the strike zone, or do they not want to give the teams something else to argue with them about?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
What is the reason for plate umpires not making the call on the check swing in the first place? Do they usually get blocked by the catcher, are they more focused on whether the ball was in the strike zone, or do they not want to give the teams something else to argue with them about?
Door number 2.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
They have made a call. They've called the pitch a ball.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Simply put, when your in A with a left handed batter, it's not as easy to see as with a right handed batter
Like I said in pre-game, I'm automatic, so don't go to sleep in A with a LH batter. If you can't tell then fine, say "no he didn't go". If you can tell he did then I want the strike back.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 07:32pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt
Around here it has been accepted ever since I have been umpiring. Being as all umpire manuels I have say the same thing you would think it is an accepted practice everywhere. (except nfhs were pu isn't required, but should) If it isn't accepted in your area I can't help but ask ... who's running the show and why arn't they following sop?
By "accepted", I mean by coaches/players. Some still "protest" loudly when the BU gives a strike while in B or C.

As umpires, we have accepted that "help" for as long as I can remember.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Door number 2.
So basically they are more focused on whether it's a ball or strike?
Closed Thread