The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

proper mechanic question

What is the correct mechanic when A1 tries a 3 pointer and is fouled by B1. The official would obviously put one arm out signaling a 3 point attempt then...here is where my question comes in. The foul is commited, do you just close your fist on the arm already extended OR switch arms to show you now have a foul call then go back up with both arms if the try goes in.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 10:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule
What is the correct mechanic when A1 tries a 3 pointer and is fouled by B1. The official would obviously put one arm out signaling a 3 point attempt then...here is where my question comes in. The foul is commited, do you just close your fist on the arm already extended OR switch arms to show you now have a foul call then go back up with both arms if the try goes in.
I use the same arm as I don't like to unnecessarily waste calories.

If it goes in, definitely signal the touchdown, but only after you signal the nature of the foul. Also when reporting, signal that the ball went in, then the touchdown, then the nature of the foul. Then communicate 1 shot as you normally would.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Point Attempt, Foul, Ball Goes In

I feel like a traffic cop when this happens. I'm usually pretty sure that I gave all the proper signals at the point of the foul, but I'm never sure that I gave them in the correct order.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is no "proper mechanic" for this. This is one of many things you do that is not defined anywhere. I am right handed so I call all my fouls with my right hand. I use the right hand if that is the arm that is already up for the shot attempt. I obviously switch hands if I am using my left hand as the shot attempt. I have never been told to do anything specific.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've gone years without more than one or two per of these (3 point attempt; foul; ball went in), then this year, boom, I had like 6 or 7 of them. I think half the time, I signaled the TD at the spot, and the other half, didn't TD it until the table.

I signal the three by whichever arm is closest to the division line, and signal all fouls with my right arm, so it just depends.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 08:00pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I use the same arm as I don't like to unnecessarily waste calories.

If it goes in, definitely signal the touchdown, but only after you signal the nature of the foul. Also when reporting, signal that the ball went in, then the touchdown, then the nature of the foul. Then communicate 1 shot as you normally would.
Where does it say to do this? I just want to know if there is something that I'm doing wrong - I probably won't change it.
I don't think it is necessary to do this all the time since it might be obvious, if a player is one the floor.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Mechanic

When you call a foul on a two point shot, you signal the foul first and then if it goes in you signal the made (arm comes down with 2 fingers extended). When you call a foul on a three point shot, why not just follow the same progression? Close the fist to signal the foul, then raise the TD signal if the ball went it. If it didn't go in, report the number, the color, and the number of shots.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayce
When you call a foul on a two point shot, you signal the foul first and then if it goes in you signal the made (arm comes down with 2 fingers extended).
It does? While we count the bucket at that point in time, I don't know that anything specifies two fingers extend or that the arm indicating the foul should be the one indicating the made basket. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not the only way.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=chayce]When you call a foul on a two point shot, you signal the foul first and then if it goes in you signal the made (arm comes down with 2 fingers extended).

If you own an official manual, I would like to draw your attention to page 36 Section 230(g).

If for some reason you do not own one. This is what is stated: If a goal has been scored, signal to count as soon as it is legally scored.

This is not in compliance with what you just stated.

I would also like to draw you attention to signal 13 in the manual too.

Last edited by truerookie; Sun Mar 04, 2007 at 12:51am.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

My $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
It does? While we count the bucket at that point in time, I don't know that anything specifies two fingers extend or that the arm indicating the foul should be the one indicating the made basket. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not the only way.
Not only is it not the only way, but I don't think it's a very good way. I watched one of our best, most mechanically sound, officials work a game earlier this year. He had a block/charge call on a layup. The basket was good, and he counted it in the manner chayce describes above. The problem is that more than 1/2 the people in the gym never saw (or understood) the extended fingers and believed he was "punching out" a player control foul. My estimation of "more than 1/2" came from watching people's reaction when he reported the foul to the table as a block. They believed he was changing his call.

And while most of us don't care what the fans think, those who didn't understand his signal also included the visiting HC. Not a good situation. My angle was so bad (his fist was extended directly my direction from the other end of the court) that I had to ask him about it after the game before I understood what had happened. Apparently he signaled block at the spot. But all eyes were on the shot and nobody noticed him again until he was counting the bucket, so they missed the block signal entirely.

My "count it" mechanic has always looked quite distinct from my "punch out" mechanic. But if it didn't, that one experience would have been enough to make me change it.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

In the MSU @ WI game yesterday, this happened. T opposite signaled 3 attempt with left hand, and changed to right hand to call the foul. The shot didn't go so there was no sinal to count the bucket.

Mregor
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce

TrueRookie and Back in the Saddle,

I realize there are different ways to accomplish this; however, NCAAW uses this mechanic (p. 92 and p.145 CCA Women's Manual). Specifically, Section 15D1a and 1c give the exact procedure I mentioned earlier. Since that is what I work, that is what I use!