The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I like to go 45 degrees on balls hit to right side and 90 degrees on balls hit to the left side. I'm also about 15' to 18' from the bag. I agree two steps is not enough (lazy). Get set and track the ball with my eyes and head set. Pause, read, react.
I like to see the call, and know for sure I have the out before I ask my partner if F3 had his foot on the bag.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
2SF is a lazy umpires mechanic! (Hint - do NOT get Jim Evans started on this topic unless you have a long to listen).
You know, I love guys like you. You hear something from one person and think that it is a revelation from Mt. Sinai! Well, I don't care what Evans says, I am not an MLB umpire and at my age, I don't think I will become one. If you went to his school, that is wonderful! Just try and remember, Evans is not the "final" word in umpiring!

That said, NCAA was using this mechanic for many years and it cut down on many of those "questionable" calls. If you think it's a lazy way to umpire, that's fine. But at 54 years of age and arthritis setting in, I still make the calls and bust to the infield almost as fast as the young ones! I teach this mechanic along with the 90° because it resolves many of the problems related to pressure from F4 - you do not need to go into foul territory to make a pressure call. The advantage is you can still bust in if needed there-by saving wear and tear on your plate man.

Lazy, son, you don't know what you are talking about so don't give me that "lazy" crap!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 06:53am.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Well doggies now, if the runners safe you sure as to darn tootin' don't need to be worrying none about no pulled foot now do ya', Sonny?

You need help in "A" with a pulled foot? If you can't get your calls in "A", I bet you can't even get a check swing call right...........
Thats the same as PU judging the batter offered but still going to BU for his opinion.
I guess you missed the sarcasm.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Thats the same as PU judging the batter offered but still going to BU for his opinion.
I guess you missed the sarcasm.
I'm not following this at all; however, just for those that might be lurking ... if PU judges an offer no need to ask - make the call (strike)!

Now if I'm blocked, different story, but I'm asking because I didn't see it not because I have a question as to whether he swung or not.

Making the call at first is the BU's call all the way - make the call (out or safe). No need to ask anyone.

Pulled foot, only if BU is in the infield and always ask before making a call (however, as has been noted, a good BU is hustling and won't need any help because he sees the pulled foot).

Thanks
David
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
I'm not following this at all; however, just for those that might be lurking ... if PU judges an offer no need to ask - make the call (strike)!
David-

FYI check out the thread "Two-Ump Question - Check Swing"
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
David-

FYI check out the thread "Two-Ump Question - Check Swing"
That was a silly thread, not pertinent to this one. As I stated above, as PU, nearly all of my check swings are called strikes - there is no further appeal.

After an article by Carl several years ago, I started implementing that to my games, I've not yet registered one complaint about a called strike.

The only time that I see argument is when the umpire does NOT call a strike.

This is not even applicable to plays at first base. THe play at first is NOT a two umpire call. Its the BU's call. Make the call move on.

When I think he might have pulled his foot (happens every once in a while), I will quickly ask my partner "was his foot on the bag". He replies "yes", or "no", then I make the call.

This is not as hard as many umpires make it out to be.

Thanks
DAvid
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
That was a silly thread, not pertinent to this one. As I stated above, as PU, nearly all of my check swings are called strikes - there is no further appeal.

After an article by Carl several years ago, I started implementing that to my games, I've not yet registered one complaint about a called strike.

The only time that I see argument is when the umpire does NOT call a strike.

This is not even applicable to plays at first base. THe play at first is NOT a two umpire call. Its the BU's call. Make the call move on.

When I think he might have pulled his foot (happens every once in a while), I will quickly ask my partner "was his foot on the bag". He replies "yes", or "no", then I make the call.

This is not as hard as many umpires make it out to be.

Thanks
DAvid
I wholly agree with you. My post in this thread was just a little razzin of PWL. I'm waiting for the return fire (which, btw PWL, I seem to enjoy way too much)
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for all of the input. you guys are tough. my question did mention that i know you need to adjust to get a good look yourself.
when I said "i believe" the D1 ump is wrong i should have quoted the CCA manual which indicates that BU can go to PU for help on either a pulled foot or swipe tag. secondly, the PBUC manual indicates that BU should go for help to PU BEFORE making any call. this information is in direct contrast to the info the D1 ump told our group. again, i agree that BU should do everything possible to make the call himself. (the PBUC manual only discusses going for help on a swipe tag. it does not mention pulled foot)

secondly, i'm not that new - i'm in my 4th year of umping but this is my first year working college ball..