The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Situation

I'm U3. Runner on second. Pitcher pitches the ball which the catcher misses but throws down to third to get the runner who is stealing. I call "out" as I seen a tag on R2 before before he got to the bag. 3B coach decides he is going to have a word about it, then one of the coaches on the offensive team decides he is going to to yell at me from the third base dugout; yelling "You missed that call, you know it, and everyone else here knows it." I stay at my position at 3B.

Would you do anything in that situation?
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'd respond thus:

"You're wrong, coach. Not everyone. The third baseman says it was the right call."

Actually (depending on factors like tone of voice and anything else said earlier in the game), if that's all they said, I'd probably let it go. But if they kept yapping . . .
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I'm U3. Runner on second. Pitcher pitches the ball which the catcher misses but throws down to third to get the runner who is stealing. I call "out" as I seen a tag on R2 before before he got to the bag. 3B coach decides he is going to have a word about it, then one of the coaches on the offensive team decides he is going to to yell at me from the third base dugout; yelling "You missed that call, you know it, and everyone else here knows it." I stay at my position at 3B.

Based on your previous posts/rants, probably the opposite of whatever you did in the situation.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Real umpires don't use an indicator on the bases. One is enough.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

yelling "You missed that call, you know it, and everyone else here knows it."

Gone.

Don't let anyone yell the "y" word at you from across the diamond. If you ignore that you've lost control of the game, it's fair game on YOU for the rest of the game. Hike up them Fechheimers, and git 'er done.

That being said, how do basketball refs put up with the nonsense that they do?
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Simple...you "T" 'em up in basketball, which provides a penalty to the offending coach's team without going to the ejection step immediately. IMO, the dugout restriction is pretty lame, but there's not much else to do in baseball (i.e. you can't award a run for a hypothetical "T" in baseball) besides tossing the coach. Works for me, though.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gone.

Don't let anyone yell the "y" word at you from across the diamond. If you ignore that you've lost control of the game, it's fair game on YOU for the rest of the game. Hike up them Fechheimers, and git 'er done.

YGBSM? So someone says to you, "You missed that call," and your response is to eject them because they said "you?"

That's rich.... you would definitely receive the red@$$ award around here.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gone.

Wow - that seems a bit much. Put away the rabbit ears, hoss.

I would not have heard the comments - chatter coming from someone venting in the dugout has to be EXTREMELY long, or EXTREMELY offensive to even get my attention. (Now have this same coach run out on to the field yelling that, and I agree ... buh bye coach).
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Wow - that seems a bit much. Put away the rabbit ears, hoss.

I would not have heard the comments - chatter coming from someone venting in the dugout has to be EXTREMELY long, or EXTREMELY offensive to even get my attention. (Now have this same coach run out on to the field yelling that, and I agree ... buh bye coach).
Well, coming from the third base dugout, and I'm U3, D position.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again, you are missing the point.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you misunderstanding on purpose?

What I'm saying is --- IGNORE it. I'm not saying that my ears are physically incapable of interpreting sound from that distance... I'm saying I don't HEAR it, unless it's 20x more out of hand than what you described. The advice you got above to eject for this will lead to a short career with little advancement.

So ... what did you do when actually faced with this? Did you learn from what you've been reading here over the past 3 months, and leave the rabbit ears in the trunk? Or did you make the situation worse and follow Kyle's advice?
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ok Dan... I didn't answer your question directly, so here it is:

This is one of those times that, as an umpire, you know somebody's gonna disagree with your call. As long as the offending party is not "all up in your grill" (is that how it goes?), let it slide. Comments from the dugout unless they're extreamly offensive, should go un-noticed by you. It doesn't matter if your U6 in the outfield, they just want to have the last word, let em. Remember, everyone at the ballpark has an opinion, but your's is the only one that counts.

Relax- have fun.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree if the word "you" is preceded by "fu*k". If it isn't, then lighten up.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

You missed that call is an opinion. You suck is also an opinion but way more personal and will get anyone tossed. I am assuming one of these two coaches is the head coach and the other one an assistant. It is not clear which one, but either way I ignore the comment from the bench. If the 3B coach is the head coach I will let him get his say in, explain what I saw and move on with the game. If he is an assistant he doesn't get that leeway.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 01:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
I agree if the word "you" is preceded by "fu*k". If it isn't, then lighten up.
Or anteceded by "suck."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25