The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Last night's HS games were played on a field with a very shallow backstop, about 10-12 ft behind homeplate. It had a brick wall enclosure, with netting rising up in place of a fence. Several times wild pitches and passed balls (this was during the JV game) would rebound off of either the wall or the netting back into the direction of homeplate. My partner and I got to discussing this between games. What would happen, with a pending play from a runner stealing home from 3rd, if the batter, sensing "congestion" forming around the area of HP as the runner and pitcher converged, a)backed out of the box, accidentally kicking the rebounding ball while completely out of the box, or b) accidentally kicked the ball while backing out but still in the box; in both cases preventing the catcher from making a play.

I am primarily interested in hearing NFHS interps, but would welcome any others as well. (ASA, NCAA...etc.)

[Edited by Skahtboi on Feb 17th, 2006 at 12:32 PM]

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Last night's HS games were played on a field with a very shallow backstop, about 10-12 ft behind homeplate. It had a brick wall enclosure, with netting rising up in place of a fence. Several times wild pitches and passed balls (this was during the JV game) would rebound off of either the wall or the netting back into the direction of homeplate. My partner and I got to discussing this between games. What would happen, with a pending play from a runner stealing home from 3rd, if the batter, sensing "congestion" forming around the area of HP as the runner and pitcher converged, a)backed out of the box, accidentally kicking the rebounding ball while completely out of the box, or b) accidentally kicked the ball while backing out but still in the box; in both cases preventing the catcher from making a play.

I am primarily interested in hearing NFHS interps, but would welcome any others as well. (ASA, NCAA...etc.)

[Edited by Skahtboi on Feb 17th, 2006 at 12:32 PM]
I would treat a) and b) the same way. Once the defense misplays the ball, if the batter is trying to get out of the way, I will let the play stand unless I judge intent to interfere.

Mike
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, once the batter leaves the box, she takes more responsibility for avoiding interference into her own hands.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Actually, once the batter leaves the box, she takes more responsibility for avoiding interference into her own hands.
Speaking ASA

To a point. If there is a play at home, the BB is not a haven.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't mean to say it was a haven... I just meant to say that she gets a little more leeway while still in the box if it hits her before she can react - but once she realizes she needs to vacate, she better avoid interfering while she does, and her leeway evaporates.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to say it was a haven... I just meant to say that she gets a little more leeway while still in the box if it hits her before she can react - but once she realizes she needs to vacate, she better avoid interfering while she does, and her leeway evaporates.
With a play at the plate, she must vacate if she has time to. But she is not responsible for knowing where the ball ends up as a result of eh defensive misplay, and, for purposes of interference, ceases to be a batter and is treated like another teammate authorized to be on the field. Unless it is intentional, no interference.

Mike
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Quote:
With a play at the plate, she must vacate if she has time to. But she is not responsible for knowing where the ball ends up as a result of eh defensive misplay, and, for purposes of interference, ceases to be a batter and is treated like another teammate authorized to be on the field. Unless it is intentional, no interference.

Mike
Speaking ASA

Well, actually unless this batter is completing a swing, she must evacuate. She is also still the batter as defined in the rule book for the purpose of Rule 7. Also, it is only interference if the umpire judges the contact denied the C from making a play and it doesn't have to be intentional. (7.5.S)

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Also, it is only interference if the umpire judges the contact denied the C from making a play and it doesn't have to be intentional. (7.5.S)
Nor does it in NFHS. Rule 7:3:5 reads:

"A batter shall not interfere with a catcher's fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter's box, by making any other motion which hinders action at home or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw at home and time for a batter to move away."

Our conclusion that night was if a batter had prevented an otherwise routine out at the plate, we would have had to call interference.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.