The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/32624-situation.html)

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Mar 10, 2007 02:25pm

Situation

I'm U3. Runner on second. Pitcher pitches the ball which the catcher misses but throws down to third to get the runner who is stealing. I call "out" as I seen a tag on R2 before before he got to the bag. 3B coach decides he is going to have a word about it, then one of the coaches on the offensive team decides he is going to to yell at me from the third base dugout; yelling "You missed that call, you know it, and everyone else here knows it." I stay at my position at 3B.

Would you do anything in that situation?

greymule Sat Mar 10, 2007 03:14pm

I'd respond thus:

"You're wrong, coach. Not everyone. The third baseman says it was the right call."

Actually (depending on factors like tone of voice and anything else said earlier in the game), if that's all they said, I'd probably let it go. But if they kept yapping . . .

mrm21711 Sat Mar 10, 2007 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I'm U3. Runner on second. Pitcher pitches the ball which the catcher misses but throws down to third to get the runner who is stealing. I call "out" as I seen a tag on R2 before before he got to the bag. 3B coach decides he is going to have a word about it, then one of the coaches on the offensive team decides he is going to to yell at me from the third base dugout; yelling "You missed that call, you know it, and everyone else here knows it." I stay at my position at 3B.

Based on your previous posts/rants, probably the opposite of whatever you did in the situation.

MadCityRef Sat Mar 10, 2007 07:46pm

Real umpires don't use an indicator on the bases. One is enough.

kylejt Sat Mar 10, 2007 08:04pm

yelling "You missed that call, you know it, and everyone else here knows it."

Gone.

Don't let anyone yell the "y" word at you from across the diamond. If you ignore that you've lost control of the game, it's fair game on YOU for the rest of the game. Hike up them Fechheimers, and git 'er done.

That being said, how do basketball refs put up with the nonsense that they do?

scarolinablue Sat Mar 10, 2007 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt

Simple...you "T" 'em up in basketball, which provides a penalty to the offending coach's team without going to the ejection step immediately. IMO, the dugout restriction is pretty lame, but there's not much else to do in baseball (i.e. you can't award a run for a hypothetical "T" in baseball) besides tossing the coach. Works for me, though. :D

ctblu40 Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:31pm

Quote:

Gone.

Don't let anyone yell the "y" word at you from across the diamond. If you ignore that you've lost control of the game, it's fair game on YOU for the rest of the game. Hike up them Fechheimers, and git 'er done.

YGBSM? So someone says to you, "You missed that call," and your response is to eject them because they said "you?" :eek:

That's rich.... you would definitely receive the red@$$ award around here.

mcrowder Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:47pm

Quote:

Gone.

Wow - that seems a bit much. Put away the rabbit ears, hoss.

I would not have heard the comments - chatter coming from someone venting in the dugout has to be EXTREMELY long, or EXTREMELY offensive to even get my attention. (Now have this same coach run out on to the field yelling that, and I agree ... buh bye coach).

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
Wow - that seems a bit much. Put away the rabbit ears, hoss.

I would not have heard the comments - chatter coming from someone venting in the dugout has to be EXTREMELY long, or EXTREMELY offensive to even get my attention. (Now have this same coach run out on to the field yelling that, and I agree ... buh bye coach).

Well, coming from the third base dugout, and I'm U3, D position.

mrm21711 Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:54pm

Quote:

Once again, you are missing the point.

mcrowder Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:58pm

Quote:

Are you misunderstanding on purpose?

What I'm saying is --- IGNORE it. I'm not saying that my ears are physically incapable of interpreting sound from that distance... I'm saying I don't HEAR it, unless it's 20x more out of hand than what you described. The advice you got above to eject for this will lead to a short career with little advancement.

So ... what did you do when actually faced with this? Did you learn from what you've been reading here over the past 3 months, and leave the rabbit ears in the trunk? Or did you make the situation worse and follow Kyle's advice?

ctblu40 Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:00pm

Quote:

Ok Dan... I didn't answer your question directly, so here it is:

This is one of those times that, as an umpire, you know somebody's gonna disagree with your call. As long as the offending party is not "all up in your grill" (is that how it goes?), let it slide. Comments from the dugout unless they're extreamly offensive, should go un-noticed by you. It doesn't matter if your U6 in the outfield, they just want to have the last word, let em. Remember, everyone at the ballpark has an opinion, but your's is the only one that counts.

Relax- have fun.

LDUB Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:46pm

Quote:

I agree if the word "you" is preceded by "fu*k". If it isn't, then lighten up.

DG Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:20am

You missed that call is an opinion. You suck is also an opinion but way more personal and will get anyone tossed. I am assuming one of these two coaches is the head coach and the other one an assistant. It is not clear which one, but either way I ignore the comment from the bench. If the 3B coach is the head coach I will let him get his say in, explain what I saw and move on with the game. If he is an assistant he doesn't get that leeway.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Mar 11, 2007 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB
I agree if the word "you" is preceded by "fu*k". If it isn't, then lighten up.

Or anteceded by "suck.":)