The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Question

Going into my 2nd year umpiring next year on a certified level, 5th year overall.

I was on the plate for a 14-15 Jr. Babe Ruth game. My partner had a couple of bangers out in the field, the last of which I felt might have been the other way (it was a call at second). Well the coach runs all the way out there like a bullet from a gun. My partner says a couple words back, maybe too aggressive, and trots into the outfield to wait out the start of the next inning.

The coach comes back to the dug out, I'm standing on his dugouts line. He hasn't done anything to me, but I know if he says a word to me, I'm not going to take it. As he passes he says "oh boy". I dismiss it as frustration, and nobody else heard it, I'm not going to toss him, yet.

He gets back to the dugout, and I hear from somewhere in the dugout "Hey Blue, you gotta help your partner out there". I turn around survey the coaches, pick out the coach who I feel said it, and toss him.

I have no clue who said it for sure, still don't know if I got it right. But somebody needed to go, right?

Funny thing is he said he wasn't leaving "Its a public park". I told him I had removed his permit to be here. We will not restart until he leaves my sight and sound. He stands behind a bush and says you can't see me and I'll be quiet.

Idiot...

But can you toss the manager without knowing for sure he was the one who said it?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

i forgot...

when I tossed him the partner came back in to play rodeo clown. If I was him, I'm not sure I would have, because he was the true person at the root of the conflict, not me. Should he still come in there?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
This is just my opinion so please don't feel I'm being overly critical.

You should have left it alone. I don't see anything in the comment that would warrant an ejection, especially if the comment was a negative toward your partner. Let your partner defend himself if need be and issue the ejection himself.

Tim.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Between innings, you should have been on the other foul line. Don't make it easy for him, go where the tension is less. Your partner had his say, and promptly headed out to the outfield. The coach did what was required, and was not ejected. When he made his comment, you probably could have ignored it. It's ok to let them have the last word.

As for who goes when it's time to dump someone, that's done for control purposes. If you pick an assistant instead of the manager, a sub instead of a starter, you demonstrate what they can expect without hurting them too much. But certainly you should not feel like you cannot eject someone just because you can't prove who the actual culprit was. If a player complains after he's tossed that he didn't say it, just tell him that he should complain to the guy who did.

Mike
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Based on his reaction

Based on the manager's reaction, it seemed like he said it and I got the culprit right.

My partner should have tossed the guy for sure, not to attack my partner, don't get me wrong, but he didn't seem to good on the game management skills, and the coach was riding him pretty good all game.

So I took an opportunity to get the coach off his back for the rest of the game in hopes the game would run smoother. Understand your input and I thank you for it.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Tuss,

Sounds like there are a couple of issues here:

1. As a crew, it sounds like you may have let the manager step over the line more than once. If he was riding your partner in a U14 game a stern "That's enough" should end it. If not - bye bye

2. Bad decision on the ejection. He went out, had words & both parties left. Unless the manager said on the of the majic words - let it go.

3. As Mike Walsh stated, go to the OTHER foul line when there has been an issue with a team. Make the mamager come out to you - that way he has clearly stepped over the line, making an ej easy.

Game management comes with experience & good training.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Tuss,

You dumped the coach because someone said "Hey Blue, you gotta help your partner out there"? Did you at least warn the coach to stop making comments before you tossed him?

Baseball is a game of emotions, the coach's emotions; the player's emotions; the fan's emotions; the umpire's emotions. You're going to hear comments all of the time and will be ejecting people every game at this rate (too much paperwork). IMHO you should learn to hear what you need to hear and let the other stuff go. You'll have a lot more fun.

Good luck
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Heck, I don't know if you over reacted or not. I probably would not have EJ'd on the comment from the bench.

I would, however, had issued stern warnings. I hate when things start coming from the benches, if you have something to say to me, come and say it to my face. Chirping from the benches must be stopped immediately or the game will deteriorate rapidly.

I also hate when a youth ball coach flys out on the field like he's some sort of MLB manager. A coach who runs "like a bullet fired from a gun", is usually hot and bothered and the discussion is usally very quick (and pointless). Plus, the life span of this coach in this game is greatly reduced, he is on a short leash, after I give him my 2 cents on his behavior. Also, I sure hope he was the manager or head coach. In my games if an assistant does that he is toast before he reaches my position.

Each of us has his own tolerance level, and we draw our own lines that if crossed leads to ejections.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

"You gotta help your partner out" would be about the mildest criticism that I hear in football and basketball. Its ignorant and self-centered (i.e. team), but I'm not sure how its unsportsmanlike.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Believe it or not, mistakes made often make a better umpire.
OK, I'm just messin' with you, but, you want to re-think the way you phrased that?

Mike
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Believe it or not, mistakes made often make a better umpire.
OK, I'm just messin' with you, but, you want to re-think the way you phrased that?

Mike
As much as I hate to defend PWL at all, I think the lack of punctuation threw you here.

I'm sure you read this as "Mistakes made often ... make a better umpire", when he meant it as "Mistakes made ... often make a better umpire." A sentiment I reluctantly agree with.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ironic ~or~ Unfortunate?

An umpire without ever having an ejection giving advice on ejections.

Tim.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:13pm

You're a real hoot!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I can't tell you how glad I am that you've given me permission to read this forum. Absent the drivel you write I enjoy this forum very much.

No, I'm not leaving just yet. I have so much to learn about how not to do things from you that it's in my best interest to stay. All I need to do in order to improve as an umpire is do the polor opposite of what you suggest.

This board would be vastly improved if you would step back and try to learn something. Instead, as I've said before, you can't help yourself from trying to discuss concepts that are obviously beyond your comprehension.

Then there's always those new and inventive playground names you like to come up with for anyone who's tried to help you.

I wonder what you'll think of next.

Tim.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hello Pot? Yeah... it's me, Kettle. Hey, um... you're black.

Get a Room!