Hmm,

That probably works for a JV umpire.

Regards,
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Don -

There are several that I think work well with GD.

One is more of a softball in my mind- a simple extension of your right hand, while in your stance, then standing, and hammering the out assuming the catcher holds on.

The other is a simple pull of the bow. Stand out of your stance and take your right foot straight back, extending both arms with closed fists in front. Pull your right arm straight back like you are shooting a cross bow. When you get your right fist to your shoulder, put your feet back to shoulder width, and hammer home the out, either up top or on your chest - however you want to do it.

Not to make this a hammer/no hammer thread
I'm interested in getting some response to my method.
I'm virtually the same as Tuss described but when no one is on base or 2 outs as I start the mechanic I'm looking the batter in the eye, and when I bring my left hand up I point it at the batter, the whole time I'm punching him out (all 3-4 seconds of it) I'm pointing and looking.
I've found it to be a technique that eliminates most grumbling and bad body language when the big dog makes first eye contact and points the punch at them. There's no mistaken I'm confident in the call.
I don't see anyone else doing it this way. Is there a good reason. I'm open for the barrage.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
I'm interested in getting some response to my method.
I'm virtually the same as Tuss described but when no one is on base or 2 outs as I start the mechanic I'm looking the batter in the eye, and when I bring my left hand up I point it at the batter, the whole time I'm punching him out (all 3-4 seconds of it) I'm pointing and looking.
I've found it to be a technique that eliminates most grumbling and bad body language when the big dog makes first eye contact and points the punch at them. There's no mistaken I'm confident in the call.
I don't see anyone else doing it this way. Is there a good reason. I'm open for the barrage.
Barrage #1:

If your punch out for strike 3 takes 3 to 4 seconds to complete, it may be construed as showing up the batter. That, combined with actually pointing at the batter???

You must be awfully big and tough to get away with that, because that kind of mechanic might not fly with an angry man with a bat in his hands who just struck out looking.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Barrage #1:

If your punch out for strike 3 takes 3 to 4 seconds to complete, it may be construed as showing up the batter. That, combined with actually pointing at the batter???

You must be awfully big and tough to get away with that, because that kind of mechanic might not fly with an angry man with a bat in his hands who just struck out looking.
It appears I mispoke. The actual punch out doesn't take more than a second or two, certainly not over dramatic.
Are you saying that pointing and looking at the batter during the mechanic is wrong? It might be, that's why I threw it out here.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 12:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
It appears I misspoke. The actual punch out doesn't take more than a second or two, certainly not over dramatic.
Are you saying that pointing and looking at the batter during the mechanic is wrong? It might be, that's why I threw it out here.
The only time you should point at the batter is when you say "yes, he went" on a failed check-swing attempt. I don't feel that pointing at a batter who just struck out looking is an appropriate mechanic, and can be interpreted as saying, "HA HA LOOK AT YOU, YOU JUST STRUCK OUT THERE BUDDY!" That might not play too well. With shaving age players, they will get pissed, and with kids, they might get upset and start crying because the mean old umpire was making fun of them.

I would wait to look at them until they keep standing there in disbelief, or start arguing with you. Then, by all means, feel free to stare them down. But not while you are making your initial call. It is just intimidating.

JMHO/YMMV
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
I just downloaded the new Firefox 2.0 and while it doesn't spell check, it tells you the words you mis spelled. That is good enough for me.
Actually, it should give you a spell check option as well. Try right-clicking on the words and see what happens.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Regarding side mechanics, I just moved to Ontario, and the baseball federation here is pretty strict. The nice part is that we use one set of rules for all levels of baseball (OBR). The downside is that they leave far less room for umpire's personal approaches to things like strike mechanics. I'm not trying to justify our peers who do the hokey pokey on every called strike, but I've always believed that a certain amount of personality and style is a part of the game.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have been using the GD stance for three years now and I have changed to the mechanic that Dale Scott uses for called third strike it is quick and powerful for me. What does everyone else think.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
I just downloaded the new Firefox 2.0 and while it doesn't spell check, it tells you the words you mis spelled. That is good enough for me.
No reply necessary.

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Apr 19, 2007 at 12:54pm.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurrie
Actually, it should give you a spell check option as well. Try right-clicking on the words and see what happens.
You rejuventated a thread that was 2.5 months old to add this?
Closed Thread