View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I am no expert, but .....

I understand the concept of potential trouble of a sideways mechanic, but, knock on wood; I have never had a problem because of it. My strike, both called and swinging are sideways. I have seen officials have problems with sideways mechanics, but their problem wasn't the sideways part it was the timing part. When there is action in front of me, I stay square and do not turn as I point to the side, i.e. steal of second or third or double steal, possible batter's interference, or catcher's interference, I stay square. So I think if you were having problems turning, you might also be having problems with consistency of the strike zone cause by bad timing.

This topic seems to come up over and over again and many teach young officials that it is the kiss of death to turn, I think it would be better to tell them that the kiss come from bad timing, weather you are on the plate or bases, with action or no action, work on your timing.

How many of you actually have a problem when turning, or have seen a partner have a problem with it?

I know Jim now teaches not to turn and Richie Garcia now has all of Short Season guys using the hammer, but timing is at the root of these choices and not, because that is how they want it or think it should be done.