The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

The rule of thumb is when you bend forward and look down, the chin pad should be off your chin by 3-4 inches. You don't want it cinched up tight. It's tangling from your hat, if worn properly.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpbrianc
That is asking for trouble. Your mask should fit snugly and should not rely on your hat to hold it up. Take one good foul ball with a mask loose and you will be sorry. Best way to get mask off and hat stay is practice.
With all due respect I am curious:

1. Where do you get this information from?
2. Where do you get off passing off this bogus information?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
With all due respect I am curious:

1. Where do you get this information from?
2. Where do you get off passing off this bogus information?
Hmmm... this is not bogus information I am passing along. It is directly from a MLB umpire. when I told him about your "hat holding the mask up" and 3-4 inches from the chin when you lean over... he just laughed. That is not proper for your mask.
So everyone can take whatever advise you would like... for me I'll go with the guy doing MLB.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:38am

Really? I just talked to Bill Klem and Jocko Conlan, and they both told me you were full of sh......aving cream!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm... this is not bogus information I am passing along. It is directly from a MLB umpire. when I told him about your "hat holding the mask up" and 3-4 inches from the chin when you lean over... he just laughed. That is not proper for your mask.
So everyone can take whatever advise you would like... for me I'll go with the guy doing MLB.
did you tell him your bogus theory because if ou did i think you would get the same reaction?

to reiterate what others have repeatedly said, your mask should fit very loosely so that if you get hit the mask will spin off and keep the force of the impact away from your face
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

"Hmmm... this is not bogus information I am passing along. It is directly from a MLB umpire. when I told him about your "hat holding the mask up" and 3-4 inches from the chin when you lean over... he just laughed. That is not proper for your mask.
So everyone can take whatever advise you would like... for me I'll go with the guy doing MLB."

Sniff, sniff . . . if it smells like a lie,

Lap, lap . . . if it tastes like a lie,

Read, read . . . if it reads like a lie,

Most likely it is.

One Rule ~ One Interpretation ~ One Mechanic
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, my information has been repeated by Jim Evans and the instructors his proschool, Hunter Wendlestedt and the instructors at his pro school, Doug Harvey, Mike Winters, Joe West and many other MLB umpires I have met or have heard personally.

Name your source.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Garth named his sources, all of whom are "experts". Why don't you let us know who your source is ?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

or...

Just get an HSM, and you wont have to worry about a harness and how tight against your face it is.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Okay, my information has been repeated by Jim Evans and the instructors his proschool, Hunter Wendlestedt and the instructors at his pro school, Doug Harvey, Mike Winters, Joe West and many other MLB umpires I have met or have heard personally.

Name your source.
Dollars to donuts it's Angel Hernandez, who has carried more baseball rule myths into the majors than all the other MLB umpires combined.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

The last time I took a direct shot to the mask was last spring in a varsity HS game. I was in the GD and tracked that pitch direct to my mask. Catcher obviously expecting something else because he never got a glove on it. The mask bounced off my face and landed at my feet in front of me, after which I asked the catcher if that was the best he could do.

Last edited by DG; Sat Jan 13, 2007 at 02:43pm.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Dollars to donuts it's Angel Hernandez, who has carried more baseball rule myths into the majors than all the other MLB umpires combined.
I was expecting Davidson, the newest member of the MLB staff. Its really a toss up between Bob and Angel though.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I will contact any umpire he names and ask a straight forward question: Do you recommend that an umpire's face mask fit snugly or loosely?

Although your post has given him an "out", I will follow up on it never-the-less.

I do not frequently refer to individual as liars. In my world, that is an extreme condemnation not to be used lightly. I believe I have referred to three people as liars in the last ten years. Coincidentally, two of the three were posters on umpire boards, one of whom has, fittingly, disappeared.

I believe umpbrian to be a liar.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Jan 13, 2007 at 09:48pm.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I agree with the 3-4 inches separation between your chin and the chin pad while you are in your stance. That seems a bit too loose for me. I do not wear my mask tight but I want it tight enough not to move around while I am going in and out of my stance. And yes, I've had a few good shots that have spun the mask over the years.

Lawrence
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence.Dorsey
I'm not sure I agree with the 3-4 inches separation between your chin and the chin pad while you are in your stance. That seems a bit too loose for me. I do not wear my mask tight but I want it tight enough not to move around while I am going in and out of my stance. And yes, I've had a few good shots that have spun the mask over the years.

Lawrence
Read the post again. The 3 -4 inches was not while in a stance. It was when bending over, head down. I would agree that it is an estimation. Yours might hang less.