The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

The angle of the dangle is proportional to the .......

...or something like that.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpbrianc
That is asking for trouble. Your mask should fit snugly and should not rely on your hat to hold it up. Take one good foul ball with a mask loose and you will be sorry. Best way to get mask off and hat stay is practice.
Probably the best advice on this thread. May I add, it doesn't hurt to wear it loose. The idea is not to wear it so tight or so snug that the harness doesn't properly work. If you can take the mask off easily and keep your hat on, the mask is probably on as lossely as needed. The harness mask combo must work correctly to protect your face.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 08:13am.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

NO Thumb or Thumbs Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
The rule of thumb is when you bend forward and look down, the chin pad should be off your chin by 3-4 inches.
Ties for the most ridiculous rule in this thread. Having the mask dangle off the bill of your cap is as ridiculous as allowing the chin pad to dangle 3-4 inches away from your jawbone.

Also, the most illogical advice I have ever read on this website. That's why the damn pads are there. Wear the thing the same way every catcher and umpire in baseball wears their mask, resting against their forehead and chin. If you're too scared and follow this advice, i.e. dangling mask from bill of hat or 3-4 inch jaw clearance, then don't get behind the plate.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 08:24am.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
This is probably the most dangerous advice I have ever read on this website.

Ties for the dumbest.
And you just now decided to weigh in on this, out of the blue?

I think "most dangerous advice" is a bit over-the-top, don't you? Being a little over-dramatic, I would venture. I'm sure I could find several pieces of advice which would trump this one for most dangerous.

I just tried the advice on my own mask just for kicks. My mask has about a 3 inch gap from my chin when I look down. That seems about right to me.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:31am

Quote:
Ties for the most ridiculous rule in this thread. Having the mask dangle off the bill of your cap is as ridiculous as allowing the chin pad to dangle 3-4 inches away from your jawbone.

Also, the most illogical advice I have ever read on this website. That's why the damn pads are there. Wear the thing the same way every catcher and umpire in baseball wears their mask, resting against their forehead and chin. If you're too scared and follow this advice, i.e. dangling mask from bill of hat or 3-4 inch jaw clearance, then don't get behind the plate.
Wearing the mask like a catcher would be highly illogical, since catchers wear them to fit snugly around a skull cap or batting helmet. Even catchers who just wear a hat backward, wear the mask tight so it doesn't fall off. That is the main reason, besides aesthetics, that umpires differ in the way they wear their hats with the bill forward...to hold up the mask, which is to be worn loosely. There is a natural gap when looking down at the ground. If you can look straight down, and your mask is still tight against your chin, you're wearing it way too tight.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Please

Everyone:

Whenever SAump or PWL post ANYTHING . . . please consider the source.

Cripes,
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
And you just now decided to weigh in on this, out of the blue?

I think "most dangerous advice" is a bit over-the-top, don't you? Being a little over-dramatic, I would venture. I'm sure I could find several pieces of advice which would trump this one for most dangerous.

I just tried the advice on my own mask just for kicks. My mask has about a 3 inch gap from my chin when I look down. That seems about right to me.
1) well, it may be out of the blue.

2) well, it may be over-dramatic and not exactly lie in the 10-ten of the most dangerous advice given.

3) well, I can't get that kind of clearance looking down with my mask on because of the extended throat guard. Why would I care how the mask fits when I look down?

I can pull the mask away from my face and up over my head with one hand and without pulling my cap off. I think that is loose enough. My mask rest firmly right up against my face. My harness isn't too tight either. My HARNESS is in good shape and has plenty of spring left. I trust my mask/harness combo will protect me.

I think your missing the POINT. Dangling mask off bill of cap is bad advice. Not resting the chin pad against the chin is probably bad advice too. Please allow the harness to DO what it was designed to DO.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 08:53am.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Easy there. I think you're missing a key point. If you're in normal umpire stance, with your head upright, your mask pads are resting firmly against your face. I hope your aren't envisioning the mask dangling in front of the face during play. Yikes no!

For a properly adjusted mask, I'm asking you to bend forward at the waist, 30 degrees or so. It's then that the chin pad should fall away from the chin by pivoting from point where the bill of the cap meets the head.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

I can accept that

Quote:
Easy there. I think you're missing a key point. If you're in normal umpire stance, with your head upright, your mask pads are resting firmly against your face. I hope your aren't envisioning the mask dangling in front of the face during play. Yikes no!

For a properly adjusted mask, I'm asking you to bend forward at the waist, 30 degrees or so. It's then that the chin pad should fall away from the chin by pivoting from point where the bill of the cap meets the head.
Well, thank you for explaining it to me in a gentlemanly manner. Actually, I never knew any rule of thumb like that ever existed among the umpiring community. It certainly is the first time I had ever read the advice.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 07:56pm.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, thank you for explaining it to me in a gentlemanly manner. Actually, I never knew any rule of thumb like that ever existed among the umpiring community. It certainly is the first time I had ever read the advice.

I thought it was common knowledge. I was taught this long ago, and have heard it repeated many times, but perhaps only in person and not online anywhere. Anyways, it's served me quite will over the years. Except for a stint with the old +POS SUL, I've had good luck with getting blasted in the grill.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Wearing the mask like a catcher would be highly illogical, since catchers wear them to fit snugly around a skull cap or batting helmet.
When did catchers start wearing batting helmets?
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

+pos Sul

Quote:
I thought it was common knowledge. I was taught this long ago, and have heard it repeated many times, but perhaps only in person and not online anywhere. Anyways, it's served me quite will over the years. Except for a stint with the old +POS SUL, I've had good luck with getting blasted in the grill.
Was that the plastic model that "deteriorated" in the heat while sitting in the trunk of the car? Met a guy today who suffered from a bloody nose taking a 90+ foul tip. Asked how the mask looked afterward, he commented on how it rebounded back into it's perfectly new form.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was that the plastic model that "deteriorated" in the heat while sitting in the trunk of the car? Met a guy today who suffered from a bloody nose taking a 90+ foul tip. Asked how the mask looked afterward, he commented on how it rebounded back into it's perfectly new form.
Did the catcher's glove hit him too? I woulda thought that the glove would have softened the blow some.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
Did the catcher's glove hit him too? I woulda thought that the glove would have softened the blow some.
Did I say tip? Got me. I assume entire responsibility for this slip. Please don't conclude that the person who made such comments as I made about them above used the improper term of foul tip. Thank you.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 12:13am.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 01:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
When did catchers start wearing batting helmets?
I'm talking about the ear flap-less batting helmets that catcher's use, you know, like batting helmets used to be before the ear flaps. All catchers that use conventional masks use them in most leagues I've worked. Sometimes though, the catchers just turn their caps around.

Here is a picture of Johnny Bench wearing a batting helmet, just for example: