The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   face mask (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/30753-face-mask.html)

clips2 Wed Jan 10, 2007 03:30pm

face mask

all my equipment got stolen...so i go to buy a new face mask...i bought a diamond lightweight...my problem is no matter how i try..even slowly and with 2 hands....my hat comes off every time i take it off...is it the harness...anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it....

LLPA13UmpDan Wed Jan 10, 2007 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by clips2
all my equipment got stolen...so i go to buy a new face mask...i bought a diamond lightweight...my problem is no matter how i try..even slowly and with 2 hands....my hat comes off every time i take it off...is it the harness...anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it....

hmm. now how does your equipment get stolen?

lawump Wed Jan 10, 2007 04:36pm

Happened to me in the minors. Overnight in the hotel parking lot...someone knocked out the windows to the car...bye-bye everything. At least it wasn't my car (and CD player).

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jan 10, 2007 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
hmm. now how does your eduipment [sic] get stolen?

Dude, equipment gets stolen all the time. I have had partners that have had their vehicles broken into, and all of their gear stolen. I had my gear in a reputable (supposedly) storage facility, complete with sturdy padlock and 24 hour video surveillance. I arrived one day to find a different padlock on the door, and most of my valuables stolen, including all of my umpire gear.

To answer the question, clips2, loosen your harness until the mask just hangs on the bill of your hat. It should be really loose, not tight like a catcher wears it.

Also, if the harness has a "Y" in it, cut out those two "Y" sections, leaving just the center strap and the band going around. More like a "T". This will eliminate the tendency of the strap to grab your hat.

The strap is just there to keep your mask from falling completely off, not to fit snugly on your head.

clips2 Wed Jan 10, 2007 04:59pm

stolen

how else does something get stolen dumb ***...someone comes into your garage and takes tools and a bag with my equipment in it...

clips2 Wed Jan 10, 2007 05:02pm

anyways

since one guy has never had anything stolen in his life...must live in the weeds...back to my question,,,it seams like the harness on the diamond pro is really kind of lousy...any suggestions...it really does not even fit correctly on the hat..the 2 side straps sit up high

greymule Wed Jan 10, 2007 05:10pm

In April 1968, all our team's equipment—bats, balls, catcher's equipment, helmets, etc.—was stolen during the night from our cars, which were broken into right outside our sleeping quarters at Duke University. We finished the trip with equipment borrowed from the Duke athletic department.

The case remained unsolved for almost 40 years, but now I hear that the Durham District Attorney plans to charge three hooligans named Seligmann, Finnerty, and Evans with the crime. These guys' high-priced lawyers have come up with a cock and bull story that the three hadn't yet been born at the time of the theft, but the D.A. says he has a witness and promises justice.

BigUmp56 Wed Jan 10, 2007 06:40pm

Quote:

since one guy has never had anything stolen in his life...must live in the weeds...back to my question,,,it seams like the harness on the diamond pro is really kind of lousy...any suggestions...it really does not even fit correctly on the hat..the 2 side straps sit up high

Have you tried using a different harness? I know that when I got the AUL300 from +POS it came with a terribly cheap harness that had little adjustment to it. I ordered a larger replacement harness and it worked just fine.

Tim.

LLPA13UmpDan Wed Jan 10, 2007 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump
Happened to me in the minors. Overnight in the hotel parking lot...someone knocked out the windows to the car...bye-bye everything. At least it wasn't my car (and CD player).

Hmm, i dont know about you, but i keep my equipment in the trunk. :rolleyes:

DG Wed Jan 10, 2007 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
In April 1968, all our team's equipment—bats, balls, catcher's equipment, helmets, etc.—was stolen during the night from our cars, which were broken into right outside our sleeping quarters at Duke University. We finished the trip with equipment borrowed from the Duke athletic department.

The case remained unsolved for almost 40 years, but now I hear that the Durham District Attorney plans to charge three hooligans named Seligmann, Finnerty, and Evans with the crime. These guys' high-priced lawyers have come up with a cock and bull story that the three hadn't yet been born at the time of the theft, but the D.A. says he has a witness and promises justice.

That's funny for anyone following the Duke lacrosse case. And the DA actually got re-elected in the fall. Gotta love those voters...

Your theft case will likely drag on for a number of years until the next election and after he is re-elected again the case will be dropped. Of course that assumes he is not dis-barred for his work on this case.

ctblu40 Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Hmm, i dont know about you, but i keep my equipment in the trunk. :rolleyes:

Even in the middle of winter? :rolleyes:

LLPA13UmpDan Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctblu40
Even in the middle of winter? :rolleyes:

Only for baseball season. otherwise it gets inside

Dave Hensley Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule

LOL! On this one we're on the same page. :)

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
If a harness was meant to be made into a "T" they would make them like that........:rolleyes:

Again, a pro school umpire had me cut the two ridiculous, unnecessary straps on my mask harness, which made the harness so much better.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:42pm

Quote:

The 2 side straps sit up high because they are unnecessary, as I have pointed out.